HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
On another note I broke my 51 slick today. The motor threw 5 magnets all at once and caused so much heat to build up that it seized before I could land. I think the esc is probably toast as well. It fell out of a harrier from about 5 ft. and did a number on the motorbox. It even broke the CF tubes that support the landing gear block. It may be sitting for a long time since the 70 slick has bled me dry.
wow... that blows...
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,440 Posts
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble (Live Acoustic) (3 min 48 sec)

If only all "troubles" sounded so good!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old May 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,834 Posts
That can sure belt out his "troubles."

I wish I could sing my "troubles" away like that

QUOTE=snowman;21612100]
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble (Live Acoustic) (3 min 48 sec)

If only all "troubles" sounded so good![/QUOTE]
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old May 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Guys my esc is ok. I ordered the motorbox kit so I should be up and running possibly by the end of the week... or early next week.

update on the PTE. It runs a lot smoother with the 20x10 on it. The erratic idle has gone away but so has the lightning fast throttle response. It is really smooth past 3000 rpms now but the low end still shakes pretty good but more in the realm of what is expected. I think the 20x10 is ideal for the motor once it is broken in but right now it seems to be too much load during break it. It still turns it at 6900 rpms which is an absolute boat load of power. I think I'll order a 19x8 to finish off the break-in.

Also, my buddy Mike put the rcexl ignition from his DLE 55 on it and instantly gained 300 rpms on the high end and the idle is smoother and will go lower. Is that an indication that the stock ignition might be bad? Mike at Ibcinyourc.com has been very supportive. I had a conversation with him today... we determined that if the ignition has problems he is willing to send out an rcexl ignition instead of the stock one. I'm not even sure he's going to make me send the stock ignition back. We'll see when I talk to him on the phone tomorrow.

Things are looking up,

-Nate
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Looks like my T---t 60 is gonna get the electric treatment. Anyone want a Saito 1.25? $300 shipped.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old May 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Nate it''s hard to say if your Ign is bad or not. The RCexl may have a different timing curve.
If given a chance I'd go with the RCexl. I think a 20/6 may be an Idea prop with lots of thrust and still able to spool up quickly. It should equal the same power consumed as a 19/8.

I flew my Lil MX some more tonight. Once again the motor pulled out of the mounting tube.
I'm still having trouble with the esc on start up. I increased the timing and now it will once in awhile start up backwards. I'll call headsuprc tomorrow.
I can say this I was able to do some hovering though I'm still not great at it.
I was able to do some really nice harriering with her. I'm really starting to like this little plane.

I called hobby partz at noon and they said my order hadn't been processed so I canceled it.
I was going to order some Power HD 9150's and wouldn't you know it at 3 o clock I got an email saying my order had been shipped. I called them back and they told me just to refuse shippment and when they got the package back they would refund my money.
Shoot far I was counting on having that money put back on my card right away so I could order those other servo's.
Not only are they better servos but I would of had them by friday from value hobby.
I don't know when I'm going to get these others. There coming from calf by us mail.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I flew my Lil MX some more tonight. Once again the motor pulled out of the mounting tube.
I'm still having trouble with the esc on start up. I increased the timing and now it will once in awhile start up backwards. I'll call headsuprc tomorrow.
I can say this I was able to do some hovering though I'm still not great at it.
I was able to do some really nice harriering with her. I'm really starting to like this little plane.
If you have the Blue Wonder style motor and tube you can file the slot in the tube so the gap is a bit wider and that will allow the tube to grab better.

How much expo do you have in the rudder and elevator on the MX? <not meant to start and Expo war>

I always found hovering with 72 Mhz to be even harder, it seems like you end up chasing the delay in the hover since 72 has a bit of latency over the 2.4 radios.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
This is my little motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
I really had to cut my epa's down and on low rate I've got probally 30 degrees and 50 percewnt expo. The same is on my rudder.I have been trying both 45 and 30 degrees on it.
These are my servos http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/Servos.aspx
I suspect alot of it has to do with my hands as they are very slow.
it waqsn't that long ago they were like claws but really messing with the sticks has changed that. I guess thats why momma doesn't complain to much about my hobby.
Now if only I could get medicare to pay for them. LOL
Old May 15, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,440 Posts
Jacklegchris......why the switch?
Old May 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
This is my little motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
I really had to cut my epa's down and on low rate I've got probally 30 degrees and 50 percewnt expo. The same is on my rudder.I have been trying both 45 and 30 degrees on it.
These are my servos http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/Servos.aspx
I suspect alot of it has to do with my hands as they are very slow.
it waqsn't that long ago they were like claws but really messing with the sticks has changed that. I guess thats why momma doesn't complain to much about my hobby.
Now if only I could get medicare to pay for them. LOL
Yup.. that is the blue wonder type. Make that slot a tad deeper in the plastic tube and file it to be a little wider and it will grip the motor better.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:30 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
A buddy of mine has his 60 electrifried and looks to have lots of power and no oil to wipe up. I got a smoking hot deal on a motor so I thought I'd give it a try. Kinda short on RC funds too so if I sell the Saito I can get a Rx, esc, and a battery or 2 and have some left over to get momma a little something. I'll sure miss that 4 stroke sound but I still will have a couple engines to get my nitro fix.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old May 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Got the T___T 60 out of the shed yesterday evening. Checked the CG, decided to fire up the ST90. Light rain was falling, Put it about half tank of fuel. Slight high end adjustment, smooth transistion. ran very well. Flying this weekend finally, found a set of plans so I can rebuild my PT 19 wing. I just might make warbirds over Delaware in July. Birthday is tomorrow, will be 54!!!! So have decided to fly more, work less, stop drinking wine and become a vegatarian!
billd76 is online now Find More Posts by billd76
Old May 15, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,440 Posts
Happy Birthday Billd76. NO MEAT??? You do want to do, live forever? More power to ya...switching to the occasional 6oz. fillet mignon instead of the usual 38oz "Cattleman's Special" has proven tough, but doable.

Today I start the rebuild of a completely gutted U Can Do 60....and test fly the Sturdy Birdie.

Flight report on the Aero Works 260 with fixed servo.....much better, but I still wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Happy birthday Bill
Chris I wish you all the luck in the world selling that motor. Whats your new set up going to be?

Snowman I so sorry to hear about your new little bird. can you please elaborate. Are using Expo on it. 3D machines really require expo. Because of the extreme throws with out expo she can be quite jumpy or twichty.

O my boss isn't listening to me, I clean carpet some now these days and he wants to send me off on a job to do two flights of stairs along with a bedroon hall and living room. Problem is the last time he did that my legs got rubbery and I fell down the stairs.
I only got a couple of bruises. He was sad to hear it but says he can't get anyone else to do it.
You'd think in today's economy you'd be able to find people want to work even if it is only 8 bucks an hr.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Hey kids

Well When I said I tried the others and prefer OS I was talking about Glow not gas So sorry for the misconception, I have no right to compare any Gas engine to anything nor any electric motor to anything I've only owned 1 of each and they both run fantastic. The only thing I didn't like about the Zenoah 26 gasser was you can't adjust the engine while its running as the screws are behind the prop unless I set it up wrong lol which is highly possible but she runs great. I'm sure I'll be trying a DLE before I buy an OS gasser, for no reason except cost.

Snowman I took the engine off Jack211's T40 and noticed he mounted it under the rails instead of on top of the rails which I believe puts the thrust line lower on the plane, I lined it up with my old T40 fuse front end and the rails are in the same position so My question is: Is that how you Michigan boys mount your engines? or does the T40 just fly nicer like that? as it did fly pretty nice for sure But I found a few things to be a little more difficult to do or should I say they did it but a little differently, and I'm willing to bet it was because of the lower thrust line.

Also I'm lovin that burdy plane LOL Looks awesome I think you should get a decal of the plant with teeth from the Rocky horror picture show, feed me suca,, feed me NOW!! lolol Good luck on the maiden today and you are now a building machine Awesome !!!!

brathanke sorry to hear of the misfortune but glad your esc survived and you could be airworthy again this week well done my friend

Jackleg Isn't half the fun of flying Wiping all the beautiful oil off the surfaces and parts while re shining and lustering the nice glossy finish as your breathing in that nice nitro aroma while caressing your beautiful girl. what could be better Well maybe Waffles

DOG How's that ship doing you bought at the WRAM show Have you finished it ? did I Overlook something? Or just forget in my feeble old age Love to see some pics or vids of her. and that vid of the edge was sweet I only hope to achieve one of those rolling harriers in my lifetime LOL

Kerwinalpha50 I was wondering as long as your purchase was on a card couldn't you just go ahead and order the thing you need and then the card would just be reimbursed when they got the shipment back squaring everything up or is it not worth taking the chance? I feel like I'm watching one of those action adventures with your reports lately,, Will he get the part in time? Is it going to be right? what on earth is mama gonna say ??? !!!! LOL
good luck through all of it and On hanging on the edge of my stool.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe