HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,172 Posts
I have seen the ones in the club and the ones on video just take a beating so I could only assume it was built on a Friday at 5 or the first re kit had more weaknesses then orginally know..... Video would have been interesting.

Sorry about that battery thing.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Thanks guys, I probably just got a bad one. The covering on the wing not even coming close to matching the covering on the ailerons should have been my first clue! The sheeting cracking apart just from holding it up with my fingers while looking for the CG should have been my second clue!
Still, I know what to watch out for now, so I might get another one.

Waldo, I'm pretty sure I landed her and taxied her back at least 5 times!! You should have seen this thing self destruct though!! OMG!! The fuse climbed vertical as the engine went to WOT, because the receiver was gone with one wing, then it proceeded to travel (I won't say fly) another 150 or more yards, to pile into the trees that outline the field. Man! That thing was hauling ass!! lol The sound of that balsa crunch is still ringing in my ears! Luckily three other guys were there to witness the spectacle!

I am pissed about my new battery though!! I mean, I just got it yesterday!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Hey DOG, anybody flying that VH Yak 55 in your club?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I don't know, that balsa was pretty weak but I did crash the thing, so it's hard to say. I was just wondering if maybe I scored the sheeting when I cut the covering off. It's amazing what goes through your head! I'm getting a soldering iron!
The wind was blowing pretty good and I think I did a pretty vicious snap or a wall or something, and that's when she let loose. It's a shame really, I had a few flights on her already and was getting used to her. They do fly well!

Now I don't know if I should try another one or not. I am leaning toward giving it another chance. What do you guys think?
I think the blood must have weakened the balsa even further...causing the destruction...would have been awesome to see on video though...
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Good news and bad news:

The good news is that a guy was out looking for a lost exhaust deflector and found my battery. Of course he called about ten minutes after I ordered a new one. I also ordered another ARF.

The bad news is that my brother has had another heart attack. He's alright now, just waiting for them to do the dye test tomorrow and then they will decide what to do. He is only 2 years older than me and he already has 8 stints in his heart. I guess I'm long overdue. Hopefully they won't have to crack him open. He sounded good on the phone, although he is worried about not being able to open his business tomorrow. He just bought a vette, but he don't like to pay for expensive medicine. Talk about messed up priorities!!

I'll keep you posted.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:26 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,949 Posts
Plow... sorry to hear about your plane although it sounds like I wish I was there. I'm glad you got another one on the way and don't worry... I'm sure you will find another use for that battery before the season is over.

I'm even more sorry to hear about your brother. Heart issues are so scary and you hardly get any warning at all. We almost lost my father-in-law a few years ago. The only reason we didn't was because he is a doctor himself. With that in mind I sure am glad you decided to drop all those pounds. I'll keep him in my prayers.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,589 Posts
Quote:
The Sabre is a total rekit! The wing exploded in the air and the fuse kept going!! It was brutal! Found everything except my new battery, dang it!!

I thought I told you we needed video before you did that. Sorry about the battery, but sounds like you were beginning to like the airframe. I'd go for another.

OK so you found the battery. And ordered a new ARF. Good stuff.

Prayers for your brother. Keep yourself healthy. Good friends are hard to find.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Last edited by NoMatta; Apr 29, 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Hey DOG, anybody flying that VH Yak 55 in your club?
Cant say we have or have seen one of those. I wish your brother well with this recent spell, hope things go ok.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,473 Posts
Sorry about your bro plow, hope all works out well with tests etc.

You got a great heart and sure your brothers is great as well

Flew the twist 40 with stock tank inside and 14 oz tank above it, worked for 3d and all types of flying no problems, actual flying time was 48 min. At min 3/4 throttle and some all out wot to burn off fuel, landed with still just under 1/2 tank in stock tank.

So flying time is min. 1 hour easy , 1.5 hours easy throttle

My plan is to take twist 40, 25 km away and then 25 km back

The twist 40 does it all
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,949 Posts
amazing David... can't wait to see a vid of that. Are you using an OSD with gps?
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,583 Posts
Sorry bout yer bro bro!

The plane???? I dunno....sounded like a "Christine" thing to me
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Sorry bout yer bro bro!

The plane???? I dunno....sounded like a "Christine" thing to me
But she repaired herself.....
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
But she repaired herself.....
Heheh
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
Plow My prayers and thought are with you and your bro.

Boy this has not been a good weekend for us twistaholic.
Today I crashed the Green machine. The ailerons were backwards. I still trying to figure out how that happened.
My 1st clue should of been that my throttle settings were all wrong. I reset the throttle curve and had to adjust the throttle trim as well. I checked all my surfaces to make sure they were working BUT I didn't check the direction.
I may have accidently changed them while getting out of the expo screen. I just don't know.
up on take off she shot hard to the left and when I gave her right aileron she just rotated right on around. She hit terra firma right side up and rather level. It ripped the undercarraige out busting up the bottom longerons along with the motor box.
IT just so happened the Gerry with GMP called me and said he'd break a kit up for me. So I asked momma for 150 for a new fuse and stabs.
She wasn't happy but she agreed.
It looks like we may not make it to the black hills and yellowstone now as we've been out spending money like we got it.
I'd already sent 130 for my flat foamie and now this.
Whats even worse is now I got to put the Green machine back together and I'm need the flat foamie put toghter as well. And have them in time for the fly low convention
Oh whats a man to do. I may have to quit flying till then with only 32 days to go.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,101 Posts
Plow.......here's to your brother's improving health! After 50 can be such a bitch!

Waldo......likely story.....Santa that is, not the pictures at work thing.

Kerwin......if you ain't flying 'em like there's no tomorrow........you ain't flying. Momma loosened her purse strings....that's a good thing, yes?

David22......I'm impressed.....keep us posted......videos are a bonus!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman