HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
Southern Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2006
473 Posts
Kerwin...Thoughts and Prayers sent out from Southern Ohio for you and your family...Unfortunately there are more and more kids like this that is not taught right from wrong. Hopefully he'll sit behind bars and have a very long time to think about what he did...

On the lighter note...Nice flying in the vid!
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Cool vid Kerwin!!!

Outlaw, I remember wearing a thick hoodie on the 4th of July up there!! !
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
Prineville Oregon
Joined Jan 2007
282 Posts
Yep been known to snow here on the 4th.
Outlw36 is offline Find More Posts by Outlw36
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,873 Posts
Sounds like if I had to move there it would be my LAST option We like the sunshine too much
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Sounds like if I had to move there it would be my LAST option We like the sunshine too much
Well, when it's not cloudy, cold and raining, it's absolutely beautiful. The problem is, it's always cloudy, cold and raining.
Where Outlaw is it's a little better than in the gorge, but for me I'll stick to just visiting Oregon!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Kerwin, I've been away for a week and just read about your Grandson, my prayers go out to you and your family. I hope they DA raises the charges to attempted murder. They need to keep that guy off the streets and behind bars where bubba can use him as his girlfriend.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Plowboy, wow, tough luck for sure on your maiden.

I started using 3/8" shrinkwrap over my servo connections, it's quick and easy, although dental floss worked for me before that. Sorry to hear that your Sabre's balsa sheeting was inferior grade. Knock on wood, mine has been flying great, only mishaps so far were busting the right elevator/counter balance, and the plastic tail wheel mount broke during a tail wheel first landing. Just flew her today in 15-20mph winds and no problems, handled great! My new covering came loose on the elevator (flying it too hard I guess ), so I brought out the duct tape so I could get the last two flights in.

I use only LiFe Rx batteries as well. Most of my airplanes have A123 1100's, but the Sabre and a fatty are flying with HK Zippy LiFe 1100's at $4.00+ a piece and so far so good. I'm recharging after 4 flights at the field and no issues, time will tell. Valuehobby is now carrying what looks to be the same style re=badged with their name. I think it would be worth a few bucks for you to try them out. A123/LiFe hold there voltage very well under a load, and I'm sure your mg servos are putting a decent load on the battery, especially if they are digital. I use a JR9303 and haven't had any issues with 2.4 so far, even the $10 Orange RC Rx's w/o sats. are working great on my smaller electrics. Even though they are rated as Park Flyers, I've flown them as far out as my glow/gas without any issues. I lost an airplane last year, but tracked it back to a faulty off/on switch wiring short, not the battery or rx.

Good luck with your re-maiden, with the thinner wing profile, I was surprised at how well the Sabre floats. I think you are going to like it!
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Plowboy, wow, tough luck for sure on your maiden.

I started using 3/8" shrinkwrap over my servo connections, it's quick and easy, although dental floss worked for me before that. Sorry to hear that your Sabre's balsa sheeting was inferior grade. Knock on wood, mine has been flying great, only mishaps so far were busting the right elevator/counter balance, and the plastic tail wheel mount broke during a tail wheel first landing. Just flew her today in 15-20mph winds and no problems, handled great! My new covering came loose on the elevator (flying it too hard I guess ), so I brought out the duct tape so I could get the last two flights in.

I use only LiFe Rx batteries as well. Most of my airplanes have A123 1100's, but the Sabre and a fatty are flying with HK Zippy LiFe 1100's at $4.00+ a piece and so far so good. I'm recharging after 4 flights at the field and no issues, time will tell. Valuehobby is now carrying what looks to be the same style re=badged with their name. I think it would be worth a few bucks for you to try them out. A123/LiFe hold there voltage very well under a load, and I'm sure your mg servos are putting a decent load on the battery, especially if they are digital. I use a JR9303 and haven't had any issues with 2.4 so far, even the $10 Orange RC Rx's w/o sats. are working great on my smaller electrics. Even though they are rated as Park Flyers, I've flown them as far out as my glow/gas without any issues. I lost an airplane last year, but tracked it back to a faulty off/on switch wiring short, not the battery or rx.

Good luck with your re-maiden, with the thinner wing profile, I was surprised at how well the Sabre floats. I think you are going to like it!
I think so too. I have an A123 on the way. It should be here this weekend. Hopefully before I go flying!! I hope my repairs hold. She broke loose right we hind the wing where the carbon brace meets the center.beam. It cracked the light ply doublets too. I just put the glue to everything and then wedged balsa into the joints, I probably should have stripped the wing and replaced all the sheeting. But I'd rather buy another plane first!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Guys,

Our club has a function coming up, here is the link:

http://www.springfieldrcclub.org/

Any of you "semi" local guys who want to come down please do. I think this is a worthy cause, who in their right mind does not like a healthy pair of breasts. All that is required is a valid AMA Card, and a little cash for the cause. I will be there from 12:30PM until dark, then maybe some night flying after that. Maybe you can teach me some neat 3D moves, since I still kind of look like an epileptic fit when I fly 3D. Any questions please ask, we have 2 Hobby Shops in town one good, one just ok. I live 15 mins from the field. Directions are on the website, just a little bit north of Springfield Missouri. I would love to meet some of you.

SH
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:53 AM
Southern Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2006
473 Posts
When using A123's and runing HD Digital servos, do you guys run multiple power feeds to your reciever to keep from browning out? You can't run very many amps through a 22g wire....
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:05 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Large planes with large digitals.....most guys are running at least an extra batt plugged into ch 7 or 8 (or any one of the leftover channels)

After that you jump to a smartfly I believe
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Yeah I'm running a SF EQ10 with two 2300 A123s.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Thats a nice unit. How you like it? Im gonna need one eventually for Chase's Corsair.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:32 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Thats a nice unit. How you like it? Im gonna need one eventually for Chase's Corsair.
I like it! Makes setting up surfaces with multiple servos a snap! My buddy made a connector that you put in between the servos and then plug into the resistance meter, then you match one to the other until there is no resistance. Usually you set the outboard first and then match the inboard to it. I measure it at full up, full down and neutral.
It also allows you to get away with fewer channels on your receiver. I'm using a 7 channel Spektrum.
It's a very cool unit. I also have the SF fail safe switch and the SF opti kill.
I got a little bit of a break on mine because my buddy won it at the Tuscon Shootout a couple of years ago. I saved about $50.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:37 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Nice!