HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Nate, why wouldn't you just use hitec receivers? The A9 is 2.4 and better technology than DSM2 arguably. What gives? Rx price?
I like the orange w/sat you sent me, btw. I'm just curious.
I just still have a boat load of dsm2 rx's. And yes, price plays a factor as well. Right now I only have one optima rx and I'm not sure I want any more... especially if I'm going to start using an XPS module sometime soon.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Understood.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
Guys I was over at the flying giants site, quizing them about 2.4 modules for my 9C.
Several guys were saying the 9C pins don't make a good connection for the 2.4 module.
Then I had some guy with a UAV company offer me 400 for my 9C Super and RX. of course they are both synthesized.
I turned him down though that may have been a mistake. My 9C is slow. I've decided to go with the Turnigy 9X. This radio need alot of mods including firmware but many guys are swearing by them.
Of course that radio is still on the back burner. I've X funds and a plane and and set up for my Yak. Maybe I could start a charitable organization called funds for the fundless. That way any rich person needing a tax break can donate to me.
Momma really suprized me this morning. I was talking about going all electric and selling my gas/glow stuff. She said o no daddy you need to diversified.
I think she's a keeper.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:06 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,168 Posts
Spektrum is slow, I am DSM2 and they lied about their issues right up to bringing out DSMX. Even with their new 18 transmitter the admit that only 8 or porportional and cannot stand behind the speed of those last channels <SLOW> so I am just not happy where they are going, not going to upgrade to DSMX, I will use my current RX's for outdoor stuff I am not caring as much for. I hate the fact the DSM2 module antenna is on a cable the way it is. I actually noticed glitching on the ground one day, started moving that wire around on the module and the surfaces went nuts. I had to tighten it to the point I was in fear of it breaking to get it to stop... My stuff jitters in the air enough under my own guidence, it doesnt need help.

Sorry... did I mention I am just not comfortable with DSM2?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guys I was over at the flying giants site, quizing them about 2.4 modules for my 9C.
Several guys were saying the 9C pins don't make a good connection for the 2.4 module.
The DSM2 pack fits very loose in my 9CHP, and I thought that might have been my problem, bent my pins a tad to tighten up, that is when I found it was the part that the cable attaches to the module.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
I have a DX8 and have a bevy of DSM2 and DSMX Rx's in my fleet ...Spektrum and Hobby King Oranges. I mostly use the AR6200/6210's. Quite honestly I have had zero issues with anything...ever.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
This is what happened when I maidened my Extra with a Spektrum module in my 9CAP.

BTW, I can't believe I was ever so damn fat!! OMG!!!

Extra 260 Near Disaster.AVI (1 min 49 sec)
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I changed my timing on my DLE 30 last night and being the shade tree mechanic that I am I didn't use no degree wheel or tach. I retarded it by 1 mm and now she has a really low idle.
I still got fuel pump issues, my 20 year old gas bulb is trying to tell me just to give it up. And boy does it leave a smell ion my van. Momma did not like the smell of gasoline it left in the van.
http://wmparkflyers.com/MX2.aspx
+1 on the gas smell in the van. I have to leave the windows 1/4 open if I take my gasser to work with me (flying after work), can't stand the fumes. But so far the van doesn't seem to retain the odor for long.....as long as I don't have a spill Cool idea on retarding the timing a bit to smooth out the idle. DG
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I always run a seperate power source then the speed controller so I can have 6 volts to the servos and if I let the magic smoke out of the ESC, radio stands on its own. I have many of them already from HK.and I will run 2 of them in case one fails. I am always going to go to the lightest wing load so 6 cell would be the choice, zippy, flightmax, prolly for Lipo.
From what I've read, if you are using 6s-5000mAh Lipos, you can go to (2) 4s-4000mAh and get the same run time. I'm not sure what the weight trade off is???? I run 6s also for ease of charging, and use a HK or Value Hobby 1100mAh LiFe battery for the Rx/servos. By the way, HobbyPartz GenAce batteries are so much better than the HK Nanos....just saying!
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,168 Posts
Quote:
This is what happened when I maidened my Extra with a Spektrum module in my 9CAP.

BTW, I can't believe I was ever so damn fat!! OMG!!!

You were "comforatable"
That looked like a classic brown out. We have a 12 foot telemaster in the club that went spektrum, first time he put the flaps down the servos stall and he lost radio for over 30 seconds. I had him toss the 4.8 and drop in 2 6.0 and he has been good since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
From what I've read, if you are using 6s-5000mAh Lipos, you can go to (2) 4s-4000mAh and get the same run time. I'm not sure what the weight trade off is???? I run 6s also for ease of charging, and use a HK or Value Hobby 1100mAh LiFe battery for the Rx/servos. By the way, HobbyPartz GenAce batteries are so much better than the HK Nanos....just saying!
I am going for the light wing load, and large prop. I have done the same for my 57" extra 3DHS. Typically I take the easy button, what Arron does with his, I follow.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Went and bought a Spektrum Tx and have flown the plane ever since with no issues. Running two Fromeco 2300 A123s and a Smartfly EQ 10. No reason to suspect my voltage could have ever gotten that low, but it did definitely lose contact and regain it. Luckily I got it back as the throttle was going to WOT and the nose was down but still about 100 feet high! I was looking at the belly and giving full elevator when it locked on, next thing I knew she was in a parachute but at least she didn't snap. I grabbed some altitude and pointed her home. So lucky!! Everyone was panicking and telling me to kill the engine but I waited till I knew I could make the field! I still pucker when I watch that vid!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Went and bought a Spektrum Tx and have flown the plane ever since with no issues. Running two Fromeco 2300 A123s and a Smartfly EQ 10. No reason to suspect my voltage could have ever gotten that low, but it did definitely lose contact and regain it. Luckily I got it back as the throttle was going to WOT and the nose was down but still about 100 feet high! I was looking at the belly and giving full elevator when it locked on, next thing I knew she was in a parachute but at least she didn't snap. I grabbed some altitude and pointed her home. So lucky!! Everyone was panicking and telling me to kill the engine but I waited till I knew I could make the field! I still pucker when I watch that vid!!
If I remember right you were also fighting with an ignition cut issue. You could have been having reception issues all along and it was causing your ignition cut off to kill it?

It may be the same module problem I was having, I dont mind a foamie glitching so much, so I mostly use it for indoor toys.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
If I remember right you were also fighting with an ignition cut issue. You could have been having reception issues all along and it was causing your ignition cut off to kill it?

It may be the same module problem I was having, I dont mind a foamie glitching so much, so I mostly use it for indoor toys.
I did have a problem with the Smartfly ign kill, but it was just a loose knurl. You have a good memory!! I had forgotten about that!! Lol
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,168 Posts
Quote:
You have a good memory!! I had forgotten about that!! Lol
Its selective and dont tell my wife.....

Grab that wire were it is attached to the module and wiggle it a bit whole a plane is on, it may be like the others.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,942 Posts
You guys aren't the first to say the module doesn't fit in the futaba radio very well. I had to laugh when someone told me it fits my A9 better then their futaba my module was MADE for. Go figure...

One guy was saying how he had wrapped the outside of it with tape until it fit more snugly into the back of his 9C.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater