SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
Eric, glad you pulled through without any personal property damage. We'll keep those who have been less fortunate in our thoughts and prayers.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Survived the storms!

Actually went chasing because a nasty cell was timed about perfect before it got dark... Got to see a pretty decent wedge tornado on the ground out in the middle of nowhere... Then went back home and ran out west while a tornado screwed up the southeast side of the city... It's actually really messy. National Guard was called up to fix the mess. Lowe's just a few miles away is missing windows. One of the big aircraft plants had the roof cave in. Pretty nasty really... We got lucky the tornado didn't roll through our neighborhood. It was pretty close...

-Eric
Thats crazy, glad you all are ok!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,046 Posts
Wow Eric thats great that you made it through OK, The the one thing nerve racking I have to say about knowing all of you, when big storms hit around the country I'm always hoping and praying none of the T_ _ _ Taholic brothers are being destroyed.

Ok Guys it seems everyone is suggesting I stay a tad nose heavy, that really baffles me I always thought a good AFT CG was better for 3D maybe this is why I can't do 3D for a lol but I doubt it I just need loads of practice.

DOG I'll see if I can get an MP3 posted here, and I like the challenge but I don't have much footage I need a new camera. I guess I can be the Judge or Referee

Here was the rest of the clubs opening day My opening day was with Snowman and I'm still trying to get my computer to read the camera card to get his vids posted but this has The Twist flight for jack211 and the Maiden of the edge.
RC Flying Opening Day 2012 (14 min 15 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Here was the rest of the clubs opening day My opening day was with Snowman and I'm still trying to get my computer to read the camera card to get his vids posted but this has The Twist flight for jack211 and the Maiden of the edge.
Waldo, great video! Great to see a Twist in flight! I think maybe a smaller prop on your glider would give you more speed for takeoff? That Edge 540 looks real nice in the air!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,046 Posts
Thanks Snowdog I'm digging the edge I need to get my angry bird pilot for it LOL The prop on the glider actually works just fine There was too much down trim on the first launch and it threw my only rubber "O" ring holding on the prop and I couldn't find it so I tried to use about 12 mini elastic bands for braces to hold it on and it didn't last at all before throwing the prop off as you seen in the 2nd attempt. but I fly that comb all the time at my house I'm actually thinking of throwing my very first engine cox .049 on there just to see if it still runs after its been sitting around for the last 40 years lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Waldo, great video!! Thanks for making my day!!

As for the CG position, I like to do the 45 degree up line thing, where you roll inverted and try to get a nice gradual arc back toward Earth. That is about as good as it gets, but of course, a lot of other things have to be right too, like engine incidence and aileron position. But then, none of us are telling you anything that you don't already know, I'm really saying it for the benefit of folks who are on here looking for information, but might be too shy to ask.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Thanks Snowdog I'm digging the edge I need to get my angry bird pilot for it LOL The prop on the glider actually works just fine There was too much down trim on the first launch and it threw my only rubber "O" ring holding on the prop and I couldn't find it so I tried to use about 12 mini elastic bands for braces to hold it on and it didn't last at all before throwing the prop off as you seen in the 2nd attempt. but I fly that comb all the time at my house I'm actually thinking of throwing my very first engine cox .049 on there just to see if it still runs after its been sitting around for the last 40 years lol
Wow that would be fun to see with a Cox .049...that brings back memories!!

On another note...just got a shipping notice from 3DHS...my dream bird is on it's way...

Quote:
This message was sent to you at the request of 3D Hobby Shop
Number of Packages: 1
UPS Service: GROUND
Weight: 19.0 LBS
woot! should be here by Thursday...at least I'll get to look at the box before I leave for a weekend retreat.

Tom, my red 71" Slick (gasser!) is on the way! We are definitely going to have to get together this summer...I'm thinking road trip for me to Indiana and your flying site! It will be a good test run for the Cape G. FLI!
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:41 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
great video waldo. That ole familar sound of the OS 61 in the 40 twist airframe makes me want to go out and abuse my twist today.
I think you may need an electric motor with more thrust. I do not like weak engines says sam I am I do not like weak engines.
I changed my timing on my DLE 30 last night and being the shade tree mechanic that I am I didn't use no degree wheel or tach. I retarded it by 1 mm and now she has a really low idle.
I still got fuel pump issues, my 20 year old gas bulb is trying to tell me just to give it up. And boy does it leave a smell ion my van. Momma did not like the smell of gasoline it left in the van.
Now as far as getting it in writing about permission for a flat foamie. That can be anulled by judge momma just way to easy. So help me out guys, I need a back up. I'm looking at this one with thier combo. I really need some of you leccys to chime in.
http://wmparkflyers.com/MX2.aspx
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Great news snowdog. Now if you could swing it an OS GT 33 would be very nice on that bird.
it looks like we are going to have fun at the slick convention.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Waldo, great video. I went out this morning to fly as it was a little over cast and the sun would not be in my face. The 150 Twist flew great, still trying to brake in the DLE 20cc, when I came in for landing ran into a hole with one wheel and broke the tip off the prop. This cut my trip a little short. I came home and ordered 2 props. Maybe better luck next time. Good to read about you all. Have a good day.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Better yet, DA is comming out with a 35. Hmmmmm choices.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Great news snowdog. Now if you could swing it an OS GT 33 would be very nice on that bird.
it looks like we are going to have fun at the slick convention.
Kerwin,
The only way I could swing this bird is to scavenge all the parts from my Su-26. So the DLE-30, RX, kill switch, servos, etc. will all get moved, once the time is right. For now, everything is in the Su-26 and once I get the LG fixed, I will be flying that bird hard. As it stands now, the only Slick I will be bringing to the FLI is my 51" Slick...but I will have other 3DHS airframes, and of course, my Su-26.
Only 45 days away from the FLI! looking forward to seeing you there.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
great video waldo. That ole familar sound of the OS 61 in the 40 twist airframe makes me want to go out and abuse my twist today.
I think you may need an electric motor with more thrust. I do not like weak engines says sam I am I do not like weak engines.
I changed my timing on my DLE 30 last night and being the shade tree mechanic that I am I didn't use no degree wheel or tach. I retarded it by 1 mm and now she has a really low idle.
I still got fuel pump issues, my 20 year old gas bulb is trying to tell me just to give it up. And boy does it leave a smell ion my van. Momma did not like the smell of gasoline it left in the van.
Now as far as getting it in writing about permission for a flat foamie. That can be anulled by judge momma just way to easy. So help me out guys, I need a back up. I'm looking at this one with thier combo. I really need some of you leccys to chime in.
http://wmparkflyers.com/MX2.aspx
I think Tom owns and flies one of those already...
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Wow that would be fun to see with a Cox .049...that brings back memories!!

On another note...just got a shipping notice from 3DHS...my dream bird is on it's way...

woot! should be here by Thursday...at least I'll get to look at the box before I leave for a weekend retreat.

Tom, my red 71" Slick (gasser!) is on the way! We are definitely going to have to get together this summer...I'm thinking road trip for me to Indiana and your flying site! It will be a good test run for the Cape G. FLI!
Saaaweeeet Mike! Congrats!! You know you are welcome down any time...I will let ya fly mine if you want to ahead of time just to get you ready for what's coming, lol Oh, and message me your number one of these days.....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I think Tom owns and flies one of those already...
I do own of these and it is a great foamie! I think one of the better ones for the money actually and the people who make them are down right nice folks!