HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
We just want to be careful guys. Mixing, Leccy and glow. Well ask K49. My self I'll throw alittle gasoline in the mixture. Then it's all a mind altering rush.
Waldo, Snowman I hope tings are going well. We're all waiting for some reports.

Wayne are you going to post pic's and maybe a video of that set-up
Eric it's great to see you posting and glad you could get that old twist out.

Guys I'm getting ready to count down the days to the Slick convention http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487117
So Snowdog, DOG we'll see Joe Smith in action.

I had a bit of an Issue on the Green Machine. I bought an RCExcel ign kill switch that was bad. I got it frome Valley ViewRC and they offered to replace it right away.
The main thing is the Green Machine is on the bench getting ready for the Huck season.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:48 AM
Australia, SA, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Saito 65

Hi Dad, see my post Saito 65.I am after the top end but some one answered the add and they have a bottom end by the looks of it.i hope I can help you
Cheers Mike
mnewbound is offline Find More Posts by mnewbound
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:58 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Joe Smith does not seem to have a problem powering his 104" Slick with an electric motor and batteries and a *really* cool nite flying LED light setup.
so I would think electric for an 89" Slick would be no big deal.
Honestly if the setup is done right, the leccy set ups last a long time. The one motor I had toss a mag was a used one and it had been over heated prior. That tends to make the glue crunchy and brittle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guys I'm getting ready to count down the days to the Slick convention http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487117
So Snowdog, DOG we'll see Joe Smith in action.
I got to see Joe at Huckfest last year in Ohio.... That alone is worth the price of admission.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:56 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
nice pics DOG

Well its time to get a cup of mud in me and load the van then its time to get that Snowman on the sticks
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Waldo if I was a betting man you took the day off. It looks like it's going to be windy.
Good luck guys.

DOG I'll be looking at some electric set-ups. The biggest Issue I've heard of is smoking ESC's, Also I'll bet bad connections would be another one. Of course I'm not talking about your little motors.
To get the power your going to need 8S. Thou I have heard guys using 6S.
Now for you non Leccys thats 8 cell and 6 cell lipo batteries. That would be 32 and 24 volts.
Now granted most flights are fairly short but I supect flights are short. Especially with batteries as time goes on they're capacity goes down.
I believe my wife would rather I go all Leccy because of the smell of gasoline.
But that DLE 30 is hard to beat for power. She makes well over 2600 watts of power and can do it all day long with no cool down.
Flight times on a 16 oz tank is well over 30 minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
DOG I'll be looking at some electric set-ups. The biggest Issue I've heard of is smoking ESC's, Also I'll bet bad connections would be another one. Of course I'm not talking about your little motors.
To get the power your going to need 8S. Thou I have heard guys using 6S.
Now for you non Leccys thats 8 cell and 6 cell lipo batteries. That would be 32 and 24 volts.
I have no fear of Leccy, I am actually very loyal to it, have been for several years now. With any 3DHS plane, lighter is always better and 6S <with the right lipos> can be very powerful and have decent flight times depending on duties.
Larger prop, lighter bats so you can have more Mah then the 8S set up.

Gas example... H9 260 35% pilot A is flying high speed aerobatics, some hovers, throttle is on full more then anything. 7-8 minutes and tank is low. Hand the same plane to Pilot B, who hovers/harriers/3D with some wide open throttle, 10 minutes flight time and still has a half tank of fuel. Those are real world number from our club.

For Cramming in TONS of stick time, Gas is the Sniz, fill and go, fill and go.

Most ESC's get smoked are ran at the edge of capacity. If your set up is spec'd to 75Amps and you Watt meter out at 70 amps static, you will smoke a 75 AMP esc. Installing a 90-100 amp esc will carry the spikes and things not seen in static tests. However, this is how a motor can get hot if your not careful.

Prop changes... too big / too much byte a gas glow motor wont tune, a Leccy will spin it and before you know it, the magic smoke is out. Leccy is very sensitive to prop changes, even same size but different brand can make a difference.

This Slick is a Leccy and on this verion the Canopy is diffent <longer> for battery access. There is a real good chance from that, Leccy will need to continue. I have heard on the other threads that the 71 AJ Slick motor box fits the Fantasy Blue older version, I may have to use one of those since the Electric motor box is not an option as a replacement right now.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Do it DOG. If you still want to go electric you can have cmala make you some longer standoffs for your motor.

Good morning everyone
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
I have given thought to possibly trading my Gas Slick for an equally nice Leccy Slick.......The more I fly the Leccy's, the more tempted I get, lol
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
My Twist 60 can do 15 -20 min on a 10oz tank, pretty hard flying.

Refueling takes 1 to 2 minutes.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:30 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
My Twist 60 can do 15 -20 min on a 10oz tank, pretty hard flying.

Refueling takes 1 to 2 minutes.

Changing a lipo takes about 30 seconds, lol

No worries, I still love my Nitro powered TT60 and my Gas powered Slick I like them all quite honestly but I am leaning towards liking how the electrics "fly" a bit more. They are just more floaty with the same awesome power. I have a good set up for the field which is a High grade Deep Cycle Marine battery and the Hyperion super duo charger (2 channel, 20 amps, 500 watts per side max) and I have 3 Lipos on hand per plane. Always one charging and always have some to fly. On a typical electric type of weekend, I do mine and my sons 6S 3300's (one on each side of the charger) at 2C (6.6amps) and I do a minimum of 6 charges each (12 total) and have not reached the limits of that deep cycle! It takes about 25 mins to do a full charge at 2C on the 6S's. It works out quite well honestly.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Last edited by CRFan1; Apr 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
It's true that it doesn't take long to change a lipo. I'd say you are still going to get a lot more flight time on gas and probably better practice. For me, it takes longer than just changing a lipo to transition into the next flight. Having to land and change a lipo is an interruption in your focus. For some people, they want to land after 5 or 6 min anyway. For me, I would like to stretch my practice sessions out to 15 or 20 min. I think I'll be able to progress a little faster that way as I try to make a transition into learning some precision IMAC type stuff along with my regular need for down right huckin So... that is why I want to go GAS. An of course, right now my hacker motor is giving me enough grief (Wayne) that gas is the greener grass
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:59 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,508 Posts
Leccy is great for IMAC comps, no points for noise, consistant throttle. Practice and Skill building with a gasser is great as Nate mentions, for casual flying, I get tired flying over 10 minutes any way, a proper leccy set up can get 8 minutes without a problem which is good for me.

Typically the Leccy sag as the pack starts to run dry is enough warning for me to land, gas and glow.... when its out... its OUT.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thanks for the info DOG I may be doing the electric thing for my 26 cc yak.
I know I'll need at least 2100 to 2500 watts.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Somebody needs to build a Busemann biplane model. Ducted fan or turbine.

How's it going Waldo and Snowman?????? Pictures and videos!!!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Leccy is great for IMAC comps, no points for noise, consistant throttle. Practice and Skill building with a gasser is great as Nate mentions, for casual flying, I get tired flying over 10 minutes any way, a proper leccy set up can get 8 minutes without a problem which is good for me.

Typically the Leccy sag as the pack starts to run dry is enough warning for me to land, gas and glow.... when its out... its OUT.
I can't depend on the sag for my balsa planes. Especially when I'm huckin and maybe not using all that much throttle. I might not notice the voltage drop before it's too late. I fly that way with epp but not my more expensive planes. Also, depending on the plane you may have trouble getting the flying feel that you want with enough battery to get 8 minutes. This is the case with my 51 slick. I can get no more than 6 min and typically set my timer for 5.