to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
day two of "getting to know Twist" we had some goods and some bads.
Now the bads.
The landing gear is bent and i have one less 13x4 prop. I can't get her to land consistently.
Dubro sells a set of fiber glass gear that fixes that issue.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Wookster, where is your CG now? Are your ailerons at neutral?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:54 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Wookster, where is your CG now? Are your ailerons at neutral?
5 inches, the ailerons are as close to neutral as i can tell. what does it do when its off? maybe I need to adjust.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:31 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
O it was a twisted twisted resurrection sunday for sure.
We had a westerly wind of around about 5 mph and in the 60's
Now guys the twist has changed. don't ask me how. But she has.
Now K49's Tango does this really nice butterfly type of flat spin. It's a slow rotation that seems to decend very slowly. It's very pretty.
But today the twist just went wild.
We both jumped intothe air very quickly.
Now I knew I was going to need to get a pratice flat spin quickly.
So as the twist took off , she immediately went vertical.
At about 300 or so ft I chopped the throttle, flipped the Elevator on high then kicked that rudder left. wait a 1/2 second pull on the elevator and alittle aileron.
Now after she got to spinning I found out that by opening her up to wide open she would flatten out in a buzz saw style of motion.
Lt Dan alias Kerwin 49 started hollering hey you havn't give me a chance.
I replied back I just need a pratice one.
So we took our birds down to the south west and had them climbing.
K49 was a ways higher and he put the Tango into her flat spin then I followed.
Now the twist's first three spins she was dropping in altitude quick and the Tango was way above me flat spinning away .
When I hit that throttle. She woke up. That nose that had been hanging came up and she started spinning like a buzz saw. And she just really wasn't wanting to loose much altitude.
The just drifted right on down past the twisted twist as that OS 61 wound up.
Guys a couple of times it looked like she wanted to climb up.
She acted alittle differnt today. My elevator felt alittle funny today.
I can't quite put my finger on it though.
My depth perception is off. Today a buddy of mine's plane went dead stick and as he was turning he flew right into this big tree. We both thought the tree was futher in the backround of the plane. It was a Balsa usa stick plane.
Then that Model Magic that I picked up for this other buddy dead sticked on him as well.
Again my depth perception was off and I yelled land her into the west. She flew right into the bank of the drainage ditch that is at the end of our runway. It broke the nose on her.
Our newest club member Thomas showed up with his Mother and brother.
We put him on the club trainer. He did really well. He's only 10 but he's doing quite well and has a real interest in model airplanes.

K49 seems very happy with his revolver and his OS 120 is running very well.
I'm really starting to go through the fuel, I may have to go with a twist 60 and a DLE 20.
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell momma
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; Apr 09, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:37 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
5 is a good CG, she should be flying very well. Reflexing your ailerons up just a tad might help. If you have subtrim on your radio, go in and try to adjust them up about 1/8 inch, and see if it helps. It should help a little in KE also.
Really, it just sounds like a typical Twist! You'll get the hang of her!!

Kerwin, cool story bro.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Last edited by plowboy1966; Apr 09, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:52 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
Wookie I'd move the battery to under the tank . You may want to start out at 4 1/2 inches.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,895 Posts
Wookster yes at a 5 CG she can be a little jumpy but ultimately thats where you will want it once you get used to it she is a blast of a plane but Kerwin may be right you might want to start out with a CG of 4.5 to get the hang of what she is really capable of doing. I found the T40 to be almost like a trainer plane with an OS61FX, low rates and and a CG of 4.5 but this plane is for sure a Wahoooooooooooo Plane once you get to know her, after my first flight she was with me every week for years Now I need to scratch build a new fuse which is coming soon.

Kerwin excellent flight report as always and I think Mama aready knows lol

Snowman must be getting close the weather has dropped a tad and rain is falling LOL I hope we can get out tomorrow its not looking good at the moment But we can sit at the field and wait out the down pours if we desire to do so, providing we can get to the field as if its too wet thats a disaster in april, as I've had to be towed out before LOL.

Brathanke Glad to hear the Knee isn't toooo serious anyway any Knee pain completely s though.

Billd I think you should wrap your stitches in monocote and get out there and try oposite hand flying or perhaps incorporating the big toe
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:23 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Well, I have been talking to Cessna aircraft company about an engineering position for the last few weeks, and they finally gave me a start date. I may actually hang out here a little more since my job won't be the same as my hobby...

You know, I may just go ahead and glue the tail back how it should be on the Twist and try to break something this evening...

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:49 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Well, I have been talking to Cessna aircraft company about an engineering position for the last few weeks, and they finally gave me a start date. I may actually hang out here a little more since my job won't be the same as my hobby...

You know, I may just go ahead and glue the tail back how it should be on the Twist and try to break something this evening...

-Eric
Congrats on the funding deal for your hobby,<isnt that what a job is for?> Cessna sound great. Breaking something sounds cool too.

Sat I am picking up a 70" inch Leccy AJ Slick in Toledo, now I will have a Slick if I can make it out to the Slick Fest in Cape.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Congrats on the funding deal for your hobby,<isnt that what a job is for?> Cessna sound great. Breaking something sounds cool too.

Sat I am picking up a 70" inch Leccy AJ Slick in Toledo, now I will have a Slick if I can make it out to the Slick Fest in Cape.
Sweet! Pics or it didn't happen
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:17 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Sweet! Pics or it didn't happen
Pics are already on the classifieds were I bought her, She needs a motor box, could go leccy or gas, she lost her landing gear and I like doing the motor box changes. Same seller, same damage, on a 59 Orange AJ Slick same price can be picked up at Toledo to.

FREEKIN WIND today, whoa
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Pics are already on the classifieds were I bought her, She needs a motor box, could go leccy or gas, she lost her landing gear and I like doing the motor box changes. Same seller, same damage, on a 59 Orange AJ Slick same price can be picked up at Toledo to.

FREEKIN WIND today, whoa
LOL...at least the guy is consistent

I love my Gas Slick no doubt but I honestly would do it electric if I got another one I think.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,895 Posts
Congrats RC sounds like a great new job

Congrats also DOG sounds like your building yourself a serious funtime airforce over there.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:36 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,994 Posts
I put 8 packs through my slick this morning. Still having trouble with the motor. Threw 3 more magnets... stopped my fun while I re-glued them. Then I flew packs 7 and 8 and she came down with more trouble that I have yet to check out. Starting to get old but pretty soon I will have done all the magnets
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater