SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I agree with Mike, do it yourself. It makes you way more familiar with the plane and when you need to tweak something later, you will be better prepared for the job.

It is not much different than a glow or electric job. Just double check everything before you do anything. When in doubt, research. Use local guys or ask us.
The hard part is all the bits and choices.... I was looking at the pspmfg tank cap today for my Fiji water bottle.... 34 bucks delivered... Easy answer, aint buying it. Switching BEC verses Linear for the servos, so I need 2 batteries or is one enough, should I have 2 regs, or is one enough? building plane fun, bits are a different story.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
DOG that looks sweet!

thanks for the encouragement on the build. the parts are already headed to my friend. he lives 4 hrs away. I think I'm just going to let him do it.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Nate, that is good news, but I think you should build it yourself. There is nothing to be scared about. If you can repair/rebuild a motor box, you can put together this plane. Besides, building it is the best way to get to know it. Tom has put together the same kit, and many others have experience with gassers. Do it yourself...you deserve it, and you should know your plane inside and out.
just be patient, and it will be worth it in the end.
I concur....easy plane to build quite honestly! Also, not sure about the ignitions on the pte but if it is like he DLE's, they do not like more than 6volts! I run a simple in line voltage reducer (diode) from wrong way RC. .
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Nate if you build it. It will fly. and Loctite, Loctite, Loctite. Really there is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Mike what route are you taking? If your close by I have several planes to fly.,
K49 you didn't tell me you were leaving town, you bad boy.
Well I flew my pico tiger moth tonight. momma even joined me. I flew 2 batteries though the little moth for a total of 35 minutes.
This little plane is just like the energizer bunny it just keeps on flying.
I'm hoping to get a few flights in both saturday and sunday.
The twist is very near completion. I some how lost one of the nylon locks for the control horn. Wouldn't you know it momma vacuumed my room and then threw away the bag and if thats not enough the trash man hauled the dumpster off.
So I'm going to have to head out to the property and get one of a crashed plane that I have hoarded for all these years.
Actually DLE don't like anything over 4.8 and running them on 6 volt makes them run hotter and is a killer on them
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I concur....easy plane to build quite honestly! Also, not sure about the ignitions on the pte but if it is like he DLE's, they do not like more than 6volts! I run a simple in line voltage reducer (diode) from wrong way RC. .
That 6 volt rule applys to my RCGF55 ignition. I purchased an RCexl ignition that is supposed to be Lipo friendly but it clearly states in the manual, Lipo full charge are 8.4, you must use a Reg,
Fine print in Manual...
4.8 to 6.0 a max of 7 volts... The Reg has 6.0 or 7.4 on it.
It goes further to say that the Life 123 full charge is 7.2 USE A REG <sigh>

It then say, if engine not highest rotational speed, also may use direct.

For Life use a IN4007 diode, for Lipo use 2 diodes...

Then I was reading that most ignitions running anthing over 4.8 will just have a shorter life....
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Good greif! Just put a 4 Cell NiMH on the ignition and be done with it! No diodes, regulators, or hassle. Five cell if you want.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
I'm putting LiFe unregulated on mine...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:50 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Took a square stock of Bass wood, and knotched one corner off then epoxied it into place across. The lipo in the Extra does not need to go all the way forward so I set the CG nose heavy with the lipo forward on the tray, but I have room to move the lipo back on the tray to get CG or even aft.

The velco bands grab the strip so it cant slide forward and put presure on the bassword.
Thanks Ron, thatt looks easy enough...are you confident that epoxy alone will be strong enough to hold down the tray during violent maneuvers?

Jjust finished driving the first leg of the trip; my lovely wife is driving now. Goodbye Design Moines, on to Lincoln, NE and eventually Colo
Springs. Hello Kerwins, I can almost see you from here.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Snowdog you and your wife have a safe trip. Twist field is right at 2 hours south of Des Moines, and a stones throw off I-35.
Nate the only thing that scares me on the PTE is they do not warranty the ignition, and that is the weakest link. Of course HK sells them cheap
They do say it is made to run up to 7 volts. Of course a 5 cell nimh will be a tad over that but your LiFe should be fine.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:55 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Thanks Ron, thatt looks easy enough...are you confident that epoxy alone will be strong enough to hold down the tray during violent maneuvers?

Jjust finished driving the first leg of the trip; my lovely wife is driving now. Goodbye Design Moines, on to Lincoln, NE and eventually Colo
Springs. Hello Kerwins, I can almost see you from here.
Yeah, I have no concerns, the red straps that go around the bats stick to the velco strip on the original battery tray, when I take the screw out at the front, I have to try the tray from the velco. This also means I have to slide it to the notch at an angle so it doesnt grab before getting forward.

If your violant tendencies make you nervous of it, you could also put an additional basswood that would be a bit over the top front end of the lipo so if it were to pop it could not go up far. The large head thumb screw at the would also keep the tray from going anywhere.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
I know it is a little late but I had to catch up.
Electrics-0

Nitro
Super Star
Ugly Stick
Something Extra
Wildest Cat

Gas
150 Twist
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:23 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
I know it is a little late but I had to catch up.
Electrics-0

Nitro
Super Star
Ugly Stick
Something Extra

Gas
150 Twist
it's never too late
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I don't understand the LiFe packs on the ignition. I must be missing something. You don't need high current discharge, you don't need high charge currents, and they cost twice as much or more than a NiMh. The only thing I can think of that is "better" is it does not self discharge. How important is that? I would NEVER take one up without topping off the batteries for the day anyway. A 2500mAh NiMH is plenty for a day of flying on a gasser.

I think it makes more sense than putting Lipo and Liion packs in with regulators or diodes.

As for the receiver pack, I don't have HV servos (maybe one) so I would need a regulator for that. My 50cc planes get redundant batteries so a couple of 2700mAh NiMH packs there get me through the day.

Oh well, I read about a new battery chemistry in the works. More than twice the power density. Maybe I will just jump over to that when it is available.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
Wayne here is the part you are missing. A basic assumption you are making about the cost. Also, you don't HAVE to buy a high discharge rate LiFe pack. And it doesn't hurt that it weighs a lot less.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...h-2s-life.html

I will be running HV servos in my slick so that is why I'll have a 2s lipo for rx.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I don't understand the LiFe packs on the ignition. I must be missing something. You don't need high current discharge, you don't need high charge currents, and they cost twice as much or more than a NiMh. The only thing I can think of that is "better" is it does not self discharge. How important is that? I would NEVER take one up without topping off the batteries for the day anyway. A 2500mAh NiMH is plenty for a day of flying on a gasser.

I think it makes more sense than putting Lipo and Liion packs in with regulators or diodes.

As for the receiver pack, I don't have HV servos (maybe one) so I would need a regulator for that. My 50cc planes get redundant batteries so a couple of 2700mAh NiMH packs there get me through the day.

Oh well, I read about a new battery chemistry in the works. More than twice the power density. Maybe I will just jump over to that when it is available.
I agree with you on the ignition, but you really dont want to run Nimh on the RX or servos. NiMH can not provide the current needed, Life. Lion, Lipo should only be used. I just bought 2 2S2200 20C Lipos for my 300SHP. They are cheap and much lighter.