HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
I'm gonna be on the road tonight and out of town for the next week; I can only bring one plane with me (probably the 47" Extra - due to small size)...ok, and I'm going to try to fit the 34" EPP Edge in the van as well.

So the weather looks to be pretty nice around the midwest for the next few days anyway...Kerwin, Dan, I'm going to be expecting some flight reports and shenanigans from you guys!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I'm gonna be on the road tonight and out of town for the next week; I can only bring one plane with me (probably the 47" Extra - due to small size)...ok, and I'm going to try to fit the 34" EPP Edge in the van as well.

So the weather looks to be pretty nice around the midwest for the next few days anyway...Kerwin, Dan, I'm going to be expecting some flight reports and shenanigans from you guys!
Safe Travels Mike and maybe rent a trailer and take more planes?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Thanks Ron. Going to visit my son and his wife in Colorado Springs. I'll just limit the planes for now and I'll ne able to load up the van for flyins this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Safe Travels Mike and maybe rent a trailer and take more planes?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:

Have a safe trip Mike...I am hoping to get many flights on the EF 60" Extra tomorrow....hopefully not much rain cause the winds are supposed to be VERY light!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Have a safe trip Mike...I am hoping to get many flights on the EF 60" Extra tomorrow....hopefully not much rain cause the winds are supposed to be VERY light!
Tom,
Yes, it has not escaped my attention that on one of the calmest days of this early season, I will be traveling and not able to fly.! Fly Low for me, eh?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Midwest Merkin Representitive
United States, MO, Cameron
Joined Jan 2011
906 Posts
No flying for me either as I will be traveling, I am bummed since its been rainy or windy up til now. So its up to the other Kerwin to provide the flight report from North Missouri. I heard that he has been practicing a new pattern rountine to the music of Simon and Garfunkel.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:01 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
My wife complained I have to many planes already. So I explained to her, mutiple planes are required so that I can choose one to fit my current mood and the atmospheric conditions at the time I choose to fly. I need a fast one, a slow one, an aerobatic one, an amphibious one, one to teach people to fly, one for windy days, one for calm days, one for cloudy days (read visability) one for sunny days (same), and one to make me happy when I am sad. I told her she should appreciate the fact I do not able the same logic to the ladies. She has no sense of humor. I need to by a more comfortable couch to sleep on.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:22 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
My wife complained I have to many planes already. So I explained to her, mutiple planes are required so that I can choose one to fit my current mood and the atmospheric conditions at the time I choose to fly. I need a fast one, a slow one, an aerobatic one, an amphibious one, one to teach people to fly, one for windy days, one for calm days, one for cloudy days (read visability) one for sunny days (same), and one to make me happy when I am sad. I told her she should appreciate the fact I do not able the same logic to the ladies. She has no sense of humor. I need to by a more comfortable couch to sleep on.

I guess pulling the "shoes" or "purse" card would have made things worst?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
No wind and 80 degrees so some of us went to the field. I made a couple more flights on the Zijji with the Voltron on it. 103 once and 107 the second time.

Caught some thermal with the Cularis and got some soaring in.

One guy cracked up an AT-6. Another guy ran into a t-post with a 50cc Edge540.

Going to do astronomy tonight.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Looks like I sold my 48" edge today. You guys will think I'm crazy but I extended the guy (local) credit. he is going to pay $40/week until it's all paid for.

The good news is I ordered my PTE 36cc. I asked the dealer what kind of good deal he could give me and he threw in a pre-drilled prop and an optical kill switch. All I need now are the battery packs. Going with 2s LiFe for ignition and 2s lipo for rx. Both of them will be unregulated.

I think I am going to have my friend build it for me since I'm scared and he likes to do it. Plus he will do a lot cleaner build job than I would ever do.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Looks like I sold my 48" edge today. You guys will think I'm crazy but I extended the guy (local) credit. he is going to pay $40/week until it's all paid for.

The good news is I ordered my PTE 36cc. I asked the dealer what kind of good deal he could give me and he threw in a pre-drilled prop and an optical kill switch. All I need now are the battery packs. Going with 2s LiFe for ignition and 2s lipo for rx. Both of them will be unregulated.

I think I am going to have my friend build it for me since I'm scared and he likes to do it. Plus he will do a lot cleaner build job than I would ever do.
Nate, that is good news, but I think you should build it yourself. There is nothing to be scared about. If you can repair/rebuild a motor box, you can put together this plane. Besides, building it is the best way to get to know it. Tom has put together the same kit, and many others have experience with gassers. Do it yourself...you deserve it, and you should know your plane inside and out.
just be patient, and it will be worth it in the end.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Lipo Pack Tray for the 3DHS 57 inch Extra 330 SC. I have never liked trying to get my hands inside to secure a pack, Velco secured to the tray under and around. Notch in the front to hold it, short quarter 20 nylon thumb screw at the back.

I am lovin this set up. There is nothing worst then a 4S4000 wandering about inside.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Lipo Pack Tray for the 3DHS 57 inch Extra 330 SC. I have never liked trying to get my hands inside to secure a pack, Velco secured to the tray under and around. Notch in the front to hold it, short quarter 20 nylon thumb screw at the back.

I am lovin this set up. There is nothing worst then a 4S4000 wandering about inside.
Ron,
That looks awesome...people are doing that for the 58" Edge too.
Can you take some photos inside the motor box - I'd like to see how the front end is secured up against the firewall. Thanks.
-Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Ron,
That looks awesome...people are doing that for the 58" Edge too.
Can you take some photos inside the motor box - I'd like to see how the front end is secured up against the firewall. Thanks.
-Mike

Took a square stock of Bass wood, and knotched one corner off then epoxied it into place across. The lipo in the Extra does not need to go all the way forward so I set the CG nose heavy with the lipo forward on the tray, but I have room to move the lipo back on the tray to get CG or even aft.

The velco bands grab the strip so it cant slide forward and put presure on the bassword.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post

I agree with Mike, do it yourself. It makes you way more familiar with the plane and when you need to tweak something later, you will be better prepared for the job.

It is not much different than a glow or electric job. Just double check everything before you do anything. When in doubt, research. Use local guys or ask us.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia