HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That is soo cool. Our club is participating with the Penn State students doing the same thing with a Senior Telemaster. The idea is to make the plane a repeater that can make radio communications possible over a mountain range.
There is a 2mtr mobile repeater for HAM radio that is light enough to take aloft. A rubber duck antenna and a lipo would get the job done. The only issue would be time aloft to make it useful.

It just occurred to me that if you took something like a weather balloon and tied a powered glider to the bottom with FPV stuff on it, you could haul the plane extremely high and have an interesting flight down. Since you are going vertical, you would have a lot of range vs. lateral distance.

That is, unless you were shot down.

David, idea for you. Tie the Cularis to the balloon...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:05 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,967 Posts
Wow missed an afternoon and 2 full pages evolved LOL Awesome
Yes weather here has been in the high 70's we're breaking heat records from 1874 or something like that.

Snowman Born to be wild song Keeps ringing in my head now LOL

We used to be involvbed with RPI students and they closed the whole science and tech program down or something, it was a bummer they were great kids.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wow missed an afternoon and 2 full pages evolved LOL Awesome
Yes weather here has been in the high 70's we're breaking heat records from 1874 or something like that.

Snowman Born to be wild song Keeps ringing in my head now LOL

We used to be involvbed with RPI students and they closed the whole science and tech program down or something, it was a bummer they were great kids.
Weather has been amazing here too...but windy..today winds are 20+ with gusts to 30+.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I hear you Waldo
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; Mar 20, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
The concept of a " Family Nudist Club " makes me uncomfortable.

I accidentally found one about 20 miles from me while checking weather.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Guy's I got my maiden in. It was only 1 battery pack then the rain came.
I tried to KE spin it but wasn't able to nail it.
Guys every cloud has a silver linning
The great thing about having a broken toe is you use 1/2 the amount of socks
And you only have to tied one shoe. lol
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,063 Posts
haha... great attitude KAlpha. And congrats on the maiden.

Here is a quick little vid I made for KE spin. It shows the stick inputs. You will see them get pegged to the top left corner and then the right stick goes to a more nuetral aileron position. You just have to learn where the sweet spot is for the plane but my 48" edge does them almost exactly like this vid.

KE spin with stick movements (0 min 23 sec)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
work

Have been underwater for the last two weeks at work. These are the days that I never think about retiring and the days that really make me LOVE my work!!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,063 Posts
Wow billd76 what do you do for work? I got SCUBA certified a few years ago but I've only gone out to the lakes around where I live.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Not at liberty to say, but I love being underwater! It's where I belong, till death do us part. The only thing missing from the photo is the Underwater comm head set. I love it, just love it!! I'm a deep tec instructor among other things. Love my job, I really really do!!
. Wearing Tec gear in the pic, twin 100's. And a predator dive computer. google predator dive computers, they are the best, bar none!!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,063 Posts
I read the book "Shadow Divers" right after I got certified. I imagine your gear is a lot safer that what those guys were using. Have you ever had nitrogen narcosis? What does it feel like?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thanks nate
Now on my old 3DHS 41 inch Edge it would hold or lose very little alittude during it's KE and give the bumble be buzz while doing it.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Not at liberty to say, but I love being underwater! It's where I belong, till death do us part. The only thing missing from the photo is the Underwater comm head set. I love it, just love it!! I'm a deep tec instructor among other things. Love my job, I really really do!!
. Wearing Tec gear in the pic, twin 100's. And a predator dive computer. google predator dive computers, they are the best, bar none!!
I have not taught for a long time but I was a PADI instructor and my wife is a dive master. I have certified about 300 people. Stuff has changed a lot. I used to have a wrist mounted and console computer because of the numerous ascents and descents and complicated dive profiles. Underwater navigation was one of my favs. I should try to convert some of my video.

I bet you do enjoy it with all that high-end gear.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I have not taught for a long time but I was a PADI instructor and my wife is a dive master. I have certified about 300 people. Stuff has changed a lot. I used to have a wrist mounted and console computer because of the numerous ascents and descents and complicated dive profiles. Underwater navigation was one of my favs. I should try to convert some of my video.

I bet you do enjoy it with all that high-end gear.
Yeah. I'm a PADI and SSI instructor as well. I used a J valve set up when I first learned to dive. No PSI guage. The J valve gave you 300 PSI in reserve. You ran out of air, flipped the J valve and you had 300 PSI to surface.
Yes I have been "narced". Different feeling each time. Very very real!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,579 Posts
actually went to a balloon store a few years ago and bought a 3x3 foot one to see if it would lift a small glider, but found out it takes at least 5 3x3 balloons to lift a plane such as a cularis

thats lots of $$$ for balloons
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22