HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Maidened the yak. Wind was perfect only a slight breeze. Took less than 10 feet and she was airborne. Got her to altitude and started doing trim flight laps. Discovered that it was nose heavy. Made a few more laps and decided to bring it in to adjust the CG. Leveled the wings for final. Had to fight to keep here straight used alot of rudder correction. Thought that was wierd. Once I landed, I noticed the left aileron just hanging down. Back to the pits. Removed the wings and noticed the servo was stripped. It was a HITEC HS-5485HB. I took these out of my twist. They had maybe six flights. Thought they would be fine for the yak, but will now go ahead and spend the bucks and get Hi Tech 5485MG's. Flew great though, floated right in. Using Spektrum A-6020s for the rudder and elevator. they should be fine!

Cool beans.... It sounds like that was a very short life for that servo. You got pics and Vids?

All we did was indoor today, there where 2 maidens at the field today that I heard about. One was a Senior Telemaster one of our members maiden for Penn State. This is a Leccy that is being designed as a "radio Repeater" so it can be flown over large forest first is mountain areas so the fire fighters can stay in contact.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Cool beans.... It sounds like that was a very short life for that servo. You got pics and Vids?

All we did was indoor today, there where 2 maidens at the field today that I heard about. One was a Senior Telemaster one of our members maiden for Penn State. This is a Leccy that is being designed as a "radio Repeater" so it can be flown over large forest first is mountain areas so the fire fighters can stay in contact.
Indoor stuff is cool. I'm going to put the Mg servos out of the PT 19 in and try again tomorrow, Pics and vids then maybe. A guy did land a ultra light at our field today, really nice guy with neat ultra light.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Last edited by billd76; Feb 19, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Crashed the Kadet. Just knocked the landing gear off. Ran out of fuel, glanced at the area, a truck was coming up the road. Had to try a 180 to down wind. I really tried to nurse it but flew into the terrace and broke the gear off.

Not a big problem. I have 6" wheels on it so maybe some extra stress.

I did not have a lot of altitude or air speed when I ran out of fuel so not bad under the circumstances.

No wind when I got out this morning. It was big bird day.

30cc Edge
50cc Edge
50cc Extra (Patty Wagstaff)
50cc YAK
100cc Beast (did not fly)
100cc YAK
150cc YAK
170cc Extra

And various other planes.

I flew the TT60 a couple of times. I have the engine tuned well now. I need to look at the throws and mixes. I am having problems flat spinning but I can knife edge pretty well. I should recheck the CG too.

I dropped parachutes and a football from the Kadet. Then I towed a couple of crepe streamers. I was towing a streamer and let a friend fly it. I took over with a little over 2 min left on the timer. I had to make an extra pass to drop the streamer and then ran out of fuel. Lots of fun anyway.

Flew the Ziggi wing, flew between the trees a couple of times and out-ran a foam F-16.

I have some video but I will have to edit and upload.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Feb 19, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I have some video but I will have to edit and upload.
That is a busy day of good stuff
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O it was a twisted twisted sunday. K49 showed up along with a few others. The temp was around 48 or show with an easterly wind of 7 or 8 mph I'd say. It made for a chilly day, but a good day.
My buddy Jim had me maiden his funstar, and you never seen anyone more pleased than ole Jim when I never had to trim her out. Now Jim has been flying a H-9 PTS Mustang now for 5years now and felt it was time for him to get an aerobatic plane. So when I handed him the controls and let him fly it he was really estatic.
Now I flew the MX one flight but the canopy tabs broke so I grounded her.
I flew the club trainer and got 2 flights out of her also.
K49 brought his nitro .50 size MX and his Tiger Shark with a rossi on her.
Another guy brought a variety of planes and one of the was a flying plate at which my buddy Jim tried to eat off it with his funstar LOL.
My brother was flying his PTS Mustang with a pro 46 on it and he really started flying that baby and putting her through her paces. It made me feel good to see the guys I trained start doing acro's.
All in all it was great day flying and for the mid of febuary it was fantastic
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:15 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,721 Posts
You guys make me jealous First of all, I haven't even had time to get my broken down planes back air worthy (all my fault by the way), but the biggest thing is how much fun you guys have with others at the field. I fly by myself, but I still find a way to make things fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I love reading the stories here. And I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from them. I can't wait to start with some of my own Keep em coming!
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
You guys make me jealous First of all, I haven't even had time to get my broken down planes back air worthy (all my fault by the way), but the biggest thing is how much fun you guys have with others at the field. I fly by myself, but I still find a way to make things fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I love reading the stories here. And I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from them. I can't wait to start with some of my own Keep em coming!

Its a Lifestyle.... speaking of Lifestyles.... Where the hell is PB?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I would not fly as much if I had to fly alone.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I would not fly as much if I had to fly alone.
Its really not a safe thing to do depending on the size and power of the spinning things
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I started going out to the club field just because I couldn't seem to hook up with people at the turf farm anymore. It's fun alone... but not nearly as much. I get a lot of energy from the other guys.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Took my kid out to the field Sunday. They forcasted rain but hey, lets load up and see. We got to the field and it was sprinkling a little, but I could tell he wanted to fly so I let him run 3 packs through the Slow Stick. I just fixed the engine in my Escapade 40, so I put a tank of fuel through it, man this think it pretty peppy with a .52 2 stroke on it, but I think I might try something bigger, just to see how much it can take. Started to put the wing on the Twist and the wind picked up, nothing like cold stinging rain to get me back in the truck in a hurry. Numb hands and spitting sleet we can home defeated. Then this morning was perfect, but I had to load up and drive 6.5 hours to Lincoln NE. So here I sit, with a slow internet connection and nothing on TV.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Then this morning was perfect, but I had to load up and drive 6.5 hours to Lincoln NE. So here I sit, with a slow internet connection and nothing on TV.
Went to Lincoln once from Cedar Rapids..... Not a lot going on anywhere in that area but cold and wind.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,400 Posts
Just placed my first Value Hobby order, rudder and 2 Elevator Servos
  1. Power HD DS8325HV High-Voltage Metal Gear Digital Servo
  2. Power HD 9150MG Metal Gear Digital Servo
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't really know where I came up with the ideas I had, but since reading that those areas needed beefing up, I guess I just came to that assumption. Once I saw one bare skinned, in the bones, that seemed to reassure my thoughts..............just goes to show what can happen when you assume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Just placed my first Value Hobby order, rudder and 2 Elevator Servos
  1. Power HD DS8325HV High-Voltage Metal Gear Digital Servo
  2. Power HD 9150MG Metal Gear Digital Servo
The bottom ones will be perfect for my yak
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Currently sitting at ORD getting ready to go to Dallas (richardson) for the next 4 days....looking forward to some warmer weather
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1