Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:17 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Well, the Cularis is started.

I am logging all the steps of progress.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586457

I have not uploaded any photos yet but I am taking them.

It will be interesting for me anyway.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:57 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Guy's I can't believe it. These new looks they gave this web site Well it's not pretty lets just say that. It's just like most of your women. They get to lookin good, they get to lookin cute, and then they go to the beauty shop. And why they call it a beauty shop I'll never know.
I guess it's all in the name of change.

Nate I need to learn from your lesson as I've been know to fly other planes than the twist in the wind.
I think that what makes it so good in the wind is, it doesn't have alot of side fuse area, large surfaces and a short tail moment.

Well I think momma's right, ca ching, ca ching, ca ching. The Green machine needs GREEN. She needs a prop and a spinner.
I think the spinner back plate will give me the grip I need for my prop.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:09 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,047 Posts
Wow Nate Sorry to hear that but at least she died in a fun fashion (Input Taps)

Kerwin50 I'm sure the Spinner will help its weird though as usually a prop should just tighten on without a spinner but the grooves in the back of the spinner plate should help for sure.

Abaser I'll be watching for sure, I tried to use blender to do this exact thing, I thought you had to use 2 programs Blender and another for the final production anyway, I started using it and was going through the lessons on how to get it to work. I think the snowman was the first basic lesson in getting the designs to work and then to move, but somehow my carrot nose wouldn't attach I got the snowman to walk with a hat and his eyes and mouth would all be fine and move in its 3d form but the carrot would always be left hanging in the air when the snowman walked away LOL I really want to be able to design my own planes for realflight so I worked for months on the thing and then ended up busy as usual and got away from it. but I hope to get back on it again soon so I'll watch and learn from you.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
A moment of silence for my 48 edge.

I tried to play too hard in the wind today and ended up with a spectacular walk of shame. I have half an elevator, a wing tube, one wing, an aileron, a rudder, and the power system left... the rest is toothpicks.

I guess I better order another one cuz that was just way too much fun
Dude! You didn't!
Sounds like it was a spectacular crash...did the wind slam it into the ground or was it your thumbs that did it? Let me guess...low rollling harriers two feet off the deck?

I got to fly yesterday afternoon - it was supposed to be sunny and 47 but it was cloudy and 40 But I flew anyway...did some great knife edges with the Vyper and I did the BEST flat spin ever with the Extra 330 SHP! Got it up high, nosed it over, got into the flat spin and spun and spun...I had a witness too! another fella at the field who made the unsolicited comment "wow that was an awesome inverted flat spin!"

It's great when something you practice and practice on the sim actually works in real life!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Dude! You didn't!
Sounds like it was a spectacular crash...did the wind slam it into the ground or was it your thumbs that did it? Let me guess...low rollling harriers two feet off the deck?

I got to fly yesterday afternoon - it was supposed to be sunny and 47 but it was cloudy and 40 But I flew anyway...did some great knife edges with the Vyper and I did the BEST flat spin ever with the Extra 330 SHP! Got it up high, nosed it over, got into the flat spin and spun and spun...I had a witness too! another fella at the field who made the unsolicited comment "wow that was an awesome inverted flat spin!"

It's great when something you practice and practice on the sim actually works in real life!
Ok, I guess I can talk about it now... j/k. I tried a rolling loop into the wind and the last 1/4th didn't want to happen I couldn't get enough authority to get it to go back into the wind. In retrospect I should have finished it with full power but when the plane is rolling in a nose dive lots of power is counter intuitive

By the time I decided it wasn't going to work out... it didn't work out lol.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:49 AM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Why will my Twist 60 not hold a knife edge? To much rudder? It wants to roll over on me, willing to learn if your willing to teach.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:02 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Why will my Twist 60 not hold a knife edge? To much rudder? It wants to roll over on me, willing to learn if your willing to teach.
Uh, it is roll coupling from the rudder, they all (Twists) do it. The Twists will do a lot of things that are really fun but they make you work for the KE. You can do it but it will take some aileron to keep it from rolling over. You can experiment with a Rudder to Aileron mix, put it on a switch. It is a real balancing act between countering the roll and mine tends to pull to the belly.

So, you just have to practice.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Stick most twist do not knife edge well. On mine I ad a touch of elev, raise the nose, and as I add aileron , I also add rudder and throttle. I am relying on the thrust of my engine to hold my KE and am using all my surfaces to keep it.
A set of side force generators would be great for the twist as she doen't have much fuse area.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Stick most twist do not knife edge well. On mine I ad a touch of elev, raise the nose, and as I add aileron , I also add rudder and throttle. I am relying on the thrust of my engine to hold my KE and am using all my surfaces to keep it.
A set of side force generators would be great for the twist as she doen't have much fuse area.
You also need a fairly strong rudder servo to make this work.
My HS-425 is NOT strong enough imho to hold the rudder during KE.
Part of my refit/rebuild of my TT60 will be to upgrade all servos on the beast.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,752 Posts
Waldo, I hate to tell you, but you were there. There is no need to make a model animated in Blender, just setting the pivot points. The rest is done in RF. I'll explain more when I get to a computer. My phone takes too long
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Uh, it is roll coupling from the rudder, they all (Twists) do it. The Twists will do a lot of things that are really fun but they make you work for the KE. You can do it but it will take some aileron to keep it from rolling over. You can experiment with a Rudder to Aileron mix, put it on a switch. It is a real balancing act between countering the roll and mine tends to pull to the belly.

So, you just have to practice.
I am going to buy a 3DHS 48 Edge, I can practice with that

The Twist is great fun, just not a "great" 3D only airframe, so I am learning.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:

Well, when you learn to KE a Twist, you can KE anything.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,581 Posts
Quote:

Agreed - there are better 3D airframes out there. But the Twist is sure fun regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Well, when you learn to KE a Twist, you can KE anything.
Agreed! If I can ever get my Twist 60 to KE cleanly then I will be confident to KE just about anything, maybe even a pizza box foamy.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,047 Posts
LOL Snowdog I wanna see the pizza box KE VIDS VIDS

I have to say that is exactly why I have loved this plane so Much it is a challenge to do great 3D with it, it took a bit of practice but KE can be done just fine, Once you find the sweet spot you can KE all over the sky at least on the 40 size anyway, I do use all surfaces for the KE too LOL and hovering was a challenge at first also, Flat spins seem to come pretty easily, and these was my first 3D plane so you only imagine the work needed just for those basic maneuvers. but then I flew my buddies 3D plane and I was like well this is like Cheating for God's sake !! what fun is that I'm hovering it and just set the box down and started laughing, then I walked away and watched him run to pick it up yelling mean obsenities at me I think it was the U Can do or something like that.

abaser well maybe I was there or close but it was just a snowman LOL 3 circles, 2 eyes, a mouth, buttons and a stationary nose LOL I'll be following your teachings for sure.

Wayne I subscribed as I love watching planes go together even if they are foam LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
If anyone is looking, I'm selling my Magnum 70 4-stroke. NIB.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587216
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris