Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Well guys I'm still recovering today from flyday as it was a busy one.

Yesterday when I came home in the late afternoon. My wife just knew of my deluged day. She asked as I was carrying my MX in by the tail with the nose down. Honey your home early. I replied yeah, I broke a prop and bent the landing gear.
She Intenly looked the MX over seeing the cracked and chipped cowl and the mangled landing gear. I could tell she was remembering how shiny an new she looked only not that long ago.
She then asked is that the only plane you took to the field, To which I replied yes.
Now I could tell things were building as she asked is that the only one you have flyable.
I sheepishly answered YES as I walked away. Only to hear her rebuttal Easy come easy go Hun.
Needless to say I left it alone and went to the walmart Deli for some Tao chicken.
That put a smile on momma's face
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Well guys I'm still recovering today from flyday as it was a busy one.

Yesterday when I came home in the late afternoon. My wife just knew of my deluged day. She asked as I was carrying my MX in by the tail with the nose down. Honey your home early. I replied yeah, I broke a prop and bent the landing gear.
She Intenly looked the MX over seeing the cracked and chipped cowl and the mangled landing gear. I could tell she was remembering how shiny an new she looked only not that long ago.
She then asked is that the only plane you took to the field, To which I replied yes.
Now I could tell things were building as she asked is that the only one you have flyable.
I sheepishly answered YES as I walked away. Only to hear her rebuttal Easy come easy go Hun.
Needless to say I left it alone and went to the walmart Deli for some Tao chicken.
That put a smile on momma's face

Nicely done Kerwin! Keep momma happy!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
My wife usually just says, "Did you crash anything?" It is almost like she thinks I crash something every time I go out. I think I might have a broken plane 10% or less of my trips to the field. Of course, when I have multiple breaks on one trip, that only counts as one.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I just completed a Lipo conversion.

I took out two SLA, 12V field batteries from my starter box and put in a 8000mAh, 4S lipo.

A lot of times we have problems getting starters to turn over our engines. Often, the starter is blamed. I believe it is frequently the battery. The field batteries just won't deliver the current to let that starter motor turn over the engine. This is good for the starter companies selling bigger starters, belt drive, gear reduction, etc. The gear reduction systems help because the take the wimpy battery current and employ a mechanical advantage to get it to work.

I converted a starter to lipo for one of the club members a while back and he is very happy now. I just converted another one this week. I removed all the nimh cells and put in a 4S, 1800 mAh. Both of those applications were using Sullivan battery packs that bolt on to the starter.

I use a charger with a cord with banana plugs. My field battery box has two sets of banana jacks so I can plug in a charger and a pump. I had the two field batteries setup to provide two 12V outputs and one 24V output.

I am charging my new pack. I will see how it does in the next few weeks. The lipo cost about what three regular field batteries would cost. It is a 30C pack so it should be able to supply about 240A. That should start something.
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Looks like the 12' telemaster kit is discontinued.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Waldo where o where are you?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Looks like the 12' telemaster kit is discontinued.
custom build time?

anyone got plans?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
custom build time?

anyone got plans?
Have to buy a lumber yard to build one.

I would have to defer to Bob or Waldo.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,449 Posts
after my fun trying to start the 125 saito long time ago

I switched to 3200 4 cell lipo to turn the starter, even though it is rated for 12 volts.

put in a mini motocycle battery in the box as well for back up and to pump the fuel.

its nice to use a separate 4 cell lipo for starter becaus ethe box can be left at the car or ground station.

all I need now is the glow plug starter, which gets charged just before take off

and the prop. spinner at 4 cells which gets it spinning, well better than before

4 cells lipo was most likley the problem to severe "jump" off of the spinner when valves or whatever were gummed up from over storage

I still need to pull back the motor, or turn back the motor to the point of starting easy, at full compression even 4 cells does not turn over a 125 or 91 4 stroke

goes to show the saitos have high compression

Quote:
I just completed a Lipo conversion.

I took out two SLA, 12V field batteries from my starter box and put in a 8000mAh, 4S lipo.

A lot of times we have problems getting starters to turn over our engines. Often, the starter is blamed. I believe it is frequently the battery. The field batteries just won't deliver the current to let that starter motor turn over the engine. This is good for the starter companies selling bigger starters, belt drive, gear reduction, etc. The gear reduction systems help because the take the wimpy battery current and employ a mechanical advantage to get it to work.

I converted a starter to lipo for one of the club members a while back and he is very happy now. I just converted another one this week. I removed all the nimh cells and put in a 4S, 1800 mAh. Both of those applications were using Sullivan battery packs that bolt on to the starter.

I use a charger with a cord with banana plugs. My field battery box has two sets of banana jacks so I can plug in a charger and a pump. I had the two field batteries setup to provide two 12V outputs and one 24V output.

I am charging my new pack. I will see how it does in the next few weeks. The lipo cost about what three regular field batteries would cost. It is a 30C pack so it should be able to supply about 240A. That should start something.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
custom build time?

anyone got plans?
Plans are doable

Quote:
Have to buy a lumber yard to build one.

I would have to defer to Bob or Waldo.
Not got a lumber yard
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:28 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,518 Posts
Apparently the Senior is too

Now Im glad I bought another one

I wondered why that NIB kit went so quick tonight in the classifieds
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Yeah, but not planes. rebuilding the master bathroom!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:50 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Well it's warm this morning and a bit windy but I'm afraid work has once again kidnapped me. They caught me yesterday for a carpet job. And now a sewer back up job. O what a man won't do for a dollar.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Well it's warm this morning and a bit windy but I'm afraid work has once again kidnapped me. They caught me yesterday for a carpet job. And now a sewer back up job. O what a man won't do for a dollar.
Calling 62 here today, they are calling for the wind to pick up though, but only to about 12 mph. Just might take the afternoon off and go fly!! Batteries are all charged up!! Rode the HAWG into work today!! Nice ride in. A bit chilly, but heated gloves do wonders!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Hang in there Kerwin...remember each $ earned means a better chance for a second flyable plane!