HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Rob Inverted
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
amainhobbies has 'em; towerhobbies has 'em; lots of people have 'em.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...attery&x=0&y=0

here is a direct link to one that is probably a good consideration:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Pack-IB1600
I've had great service from the Hobbico 6v NiMH batteries. At this time they're all I use.
robbruner is offline Find More Posts by robbruner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I've had my NiMh batteries charging in my TX's (all three) for over two years without using them......think they're still good? Boy, it embarrassing just thinking about that statement!
wow... they have been on the chargers for over 2 years?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
It seems that nimhs need to be cycled before using. I still use nicads but I'm still flying 72 mhz.
Lipos work well in 72 mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Never trust a NiCd on anything that goes airborne. Their day has come and gone.
Never trust ANYTHING that starts with Ni.... Nix... Nil... Nicad....NiMh... Thin Li as in poly or ion..... I love cell level predictability.

Nate.... Found a box... going out tomorrow!
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
um....... I got nothing
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Here who Wayne and me have started using (good find Wayne )

http://www.all-battery.com/6v2000mah...ctor11106.aspx

Wayne has put the stress test on them and I believe he rates them at the "excellent" level.
I have one of these in my T-60. It has a different label, but is the same brand. Mine has 2006 dated on it. I really would like a new one, another to upgrade my Escapade 40, it has a 4.8v pack in it. Dont trust the 4.8v since the spektrum receivers ilke voltage. I will order a couple. Thanks for the link, not a bad price either.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Here who Wayne and me have started using (good find Wayne )

http://www.all-battery.com/6v2000mah...ctor11106.aspx

Wayne has put the stress test on them and I believe he rates them at the "excellent" level.
WOW!!! Great prices! Thanks for the lead...this is 1/2 what the local HobbyTown USA charges!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Roger that...me and Wayne order em by the dozen.

Be sure and thank Wayne
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
Quote:
WOW!!! Great prices! Thanks for the lead...this is 1/2 what the local HobbyTown USA charges!

I have 2 of them I picked up at Toledo, the one is in my Extra and it seems just setting the last 2 months it went completely dead.... I was hoping it was my fault and I had left the plane on but it wasn't.

With the switch off, there should not be any drain right?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Roger that...me and Wayne order em by the dozen.

Be sure and thank Wayne
Thanks Woda!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
With the switch off, there should not be any drain right?
I wouldnt say it should be dead. It should be down in 2 months. Maybe something around a volt Im guessing but dead? no. Somethin wrong there.
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
Quote:
I wouldnt say it should be dead. It should be down in 2 months. Maybe something around a volt Im guessing but dead? no. Somethin wrong there.
I tease about the Ni bats, but they have been seriously disapointing to me. This one was all the way down, this has the nice switch with the guards so it cant be bumped.

I put it on the charger and it seems to be charging, just got it last year. I think I paid 13.00 each, but not shipping.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:53 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I was going to post the link to http://www.all-battery.com/60vrcairbatteries.aspx but DR beat me to it.

We all abuse our batteries.

Nixx batteries have a self discharge and will lose some charge over time. If you have a power switch between the battery and everything else, the battery may not be fully charged but it should not be dead. If you have anything else connected to the battery, smart switches, regulators, etc. that are not disconnected, you probably have a current drain.

NiMh packs are good for typically 3 years or so. They do not have a memory effect. The initial charge on a NiMh should be done at .1C. It is sometimes called a training charge.

Charging Nixx on a wall wart will kill your batteries. You must take them off. The trickle charge stuff with a passive charger will just cause the packs to build up heat which will kill them.

You should top off all you NiMh packs once a month or so. Less than once every 4 to 6 months lets them get to a seriously depleted level.

I like NiMh packs. The hype on the Lithium packs is great if you need to have huge current discharge, like electric motors. Of course, the Lixx packs have their own idiosyncrasies.

The NiCds were great when there was nothing better. The NiMh are a great replacement with higher power densities and no memory. Lithium with built in balancing circuits are very convenient but really expensive.

For economy, the NiMh is still the best solution until everything is designed to take unregulated 7.2V power. Even then, it is very nice to just plug a cord into the side of the plane and charge it.

The Tenergy packs were tested a couple of years ago. Some members were getting them and I refused to use them until they were were tested to be able to reliably deliver current at the rated capacity. There are some Dahann packs around I tested too.

I used to count on Hydrimax. $26 for each 6V 2000 mAh pack. The one that dies in my TT60 ignition was a 4.8V Hydrimax.

I have a 2700mAh Tenergy in my Kadet. It is doing very well and there are 8 servos on it.

Anyway, go with what turns you on.

I don't want to balance lipos in my glow planes and I don't like using regulators. I have been in electronics about 30 years and don't like to complicate stuff.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
I like the light weight, high mah of the LiXX bats and the fact that I can see the cell values independant to know if I have a problem. All of my TX /RX lipos are 6C output, a 20C endrush can be hard on those light electronics. I never have to balance these since the load on them is so light.

I think you are right about the Wall Wart charges killing the packs, I use the acucell for everything.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:55 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
I have been know to fly in harsh conditions and after crashing my 540 Edge due to a fully charged cold, 38 to 40 degrees lipo battery.Nimhs are alittle heavier and everyone I have ever had you had to cycle it 5 times down to .9 volts per cell to get your capicity out of it. Most have only had 50% capicity right off the shelf.
I bought 2 hydramaxs, a 4.8 and a 6 volt one. Both 2000 milli amp packs. I then charged them the 1st time at 20 mills the 1st time and then discharged them to .9 with the triton. The triton showed beteewn 800 and 900 milli amps discharge usage. That was well under 1/2 capicity. On my third cycle they came up to 1500 and by the fifth cycle they were at 2100 milli amps.
Had I just charged them and put'em in my plane I could of lost it.
I've seen many an airplane go dow because of this. Now in all my years of flying I've only crashed one plane due to a nicad failure or discharged, IE dead. And that was my twist. And it was a JR battery that was junk from day one and I knew it. But still I used it
In reality then it was the AP mechanic that was to blame.

Well I'm wondering if we are going to have a sunday flyin or not, the temps are going to be 41 degrees. Though the only plane I have up and flying is the MX and I've got to figure out why it's dying during an inverted flatspin. The only change I made was I put a balsa sheet over the open area on the firewall. It may be the pressure thing, but I'm thinking she may be a tad bit lean on the lower end also.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
I am still cycling my rx battery , almost 5th time on the bench, soon to be used in the air

I charge them up and wait for an evening and then with out discharge I recharge, then fly

well charged but hope to fly many times a day with hopefully no charge problems

I got one of those light bars that helps me tell the charge and a switch to turn off the rx when not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
It seems that nimhs need to be cycled before using. I still use nicads but I'm still flying 72 mhz.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
I've got some batteries charged and the sun is shining...hoping for the temp to reach near 40 at lunch time today...winds are supposed to be < 10mph...hoping to get a few flights on my small electrics (46" Vyper, 51" Slick) over the lunch hour . The weekend weather does not look promising for flying.