SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
I use these http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/s...l-dot-red.html in junction with this http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-bec-6-6v.html, I like just using one A123 battery for my gasers, they have switches too for two battery setup.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I have an asp 91 fs on my tt60 and that motor runs like a top! Not a powerhouse but it is a good fit on the twist. In this cooler weather it will pull out of a hover fairly well...in the hot days of summer it is marginal. I would go bigger

As far as reliablility, that ASP has been dead stone reliable and has never given me a dead stick. They are great for budget build planes and i would not hesitate to get another one. saitos do indeed make a bit more power for their size class though.
Good to know. I have a Magnum .91FS on the T60 now and wanted to go larger. Everything I am reading says the Magnum and ASP are the same engines. The .91FS I have now runs great, just want a bit more power, and have a limited budget. Think I may sell my Magnum .52TS I have on my Escapade 40 and put the .91FS on it with a smaller, faster prop, and get a larger ASP to hang on the T60. What size would you recommend? I dont want to add too much weight. 1.15-1.20 range?
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
Good to know. I have a Magnum .91FS on the T60 now and wanted to go larger. Everything I am reading says the Magnum and ASP are the same engines. The .91FS I have now runs great, just want a bit more power, and have a limited budget. Think I may sell my Magnum .52TS I have on my Escapade 40 and put the .91FS on it with a smaller, faster prop, and get a larger ASP to hang on the T60. What size would you recommend? I dont want to add too much weight. 1.15-1.20 range?
I've got a Saito 1.15 on my TT60 and it is plenty of power and the weight is fine.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Yep, I would stay in the 115 range like Mike says
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
If you go to the 1.20 you'll probably have to put the rx battery just behind the wing bolts. I removed the covering on the bottom of the fuse right behind the wing bolts and then built me a plate and covered it with white monocote. I then drilled two holes for a zip tie to pass through to secure the battery and a couple screws to attach it to the fuse. With that, mine balances at 6" with the 1.25.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris View Post
If you go to the 1.20 you'll probably have to put the rx battery just behind the wing bolts. I removed the covering on the bottom of the fuse right behind the wing bolts and then built me a plate and covered it with white monocote. I then drilled two holes for a zip tie to pass through to secure the battery and a couple screws to attach it to the fuse. With that, mine balances at 6" with the 1.25.
agreed - my 6v RX pack is behind the wing bolts...no hatch...it was just stuffed back there wrapped in foam.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
I use these http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/s...l-dot-red.html in junction with this http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-bec-6-6v.html, I like just using one A123 battery for my gasers, they have switches too for two battery setup.
I have the two switch Miracle on my TT60. I did not like the idea of the fuel dot being with it. I was afraid of fuel contaminates in the switch. It also implied I needed the switch closer to the front of the plane. My batteries are back at the wing bolts.

I am in on the ignition kill. I think all gassers should have them. We had some incidents that convinced a couple of our members to add one.

I like having a battery for the receiver/servos and another for ignition.

waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
yea...those top ones are cool lookin but dont work.

I would put my money on the Robarts, they make good junk
OK, I will try the Robarts. It looks good too.
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I think Woda has gone over the top today.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Maybe cuckoo he has become (Say in best Yoda voice)
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I have the two switch Miracle on my TT60. I did not like the idea of the fuel dot being with it. I was afraid of fuel contaminates in the switch. It also implied I needed the switch closer to the front of the plane. My batteries are back at the wing bolts.

I am in on the ignition kill. I think all gassers should have them. We had some incidents that convinced a couple of our members to add one.

I like having a battery for the receiver/servos and another for ignition.

Understand that, I was concerned about that as well. I encapsulated the wire connections on my switch with low temp hot glue. I was also concerned about the vibration from the gasers causing the wires on the switch to backoff. I'm thinking the hot glue will hold them in place. I don't use a kill switch for my nitros either, but the miracle single switch with fuel port is nice on Nitros with a cowl, like a decathlon. Makes fueling a breeze and no special fittings are required for the fuel container pump line.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
billd did you write something? lol.

I just put another quick flight on my twist. I can't get over the insane speed! Also, since the wind was pretty calm I did some hovering etc. fun stuff.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
We need better emoticons!
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 24, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
I encapsulated the wire connections on my switch with low temp hot glue. I was also concerned about the vibration from the gasers causing the wires on the switch to backoff.
Just an FYI (along the lines of "wires").....

When my TT60 went down, I dont think I ever told yall why.

Battery was dead. Thought neglect had bit me in me arse

Had an aftermarket batt, new, seemed strong and dependable. It had a really long lead on it. Im guess 12". I thought it had a dead short so I didnt look any further.

When I started working on it and pulled the batt out, I realized it had that long lead and a bit of a lead from the switch right? When I mounted it at the bolts I just laid/stuffed the lead into the tail moment. It was fairly stiff and easy and laid out pretty much in a straight line......

......I didnt think a thing about it.

The slack flopping up and down inside the space of the tail moment, with all the radical aerobatics, broke one of the leads off the batt

...the rest is history.
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman