Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,576 Posts
I'm glad you guys have brought up the rx discussion. I was recently in my lhs and two guys were discussing 2.4ghz rx antenna placement. One seemed to like his setup, but the other said he refused to go 2.4 due to the unreliability if setup was not done properly. Since I plan to upgrade, do I need to follow some specific guidelines? I'm used to just dropping the antenna out the back somewhere with 72mhz.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,752 Posts
Holy Crapola man it just took me about an hour and 1/2 to catch back up here, It was the wifes B-day weekend so we've been busy, took down all the decorations and re arranged the Living room on her wish at the last 2nd last night LOL but all is now well and the building season can begin for me

Kerwin sorry to hear of the destructions I'm sure you'll have them back up and running soon.

David I always love those snow vids to watch LOL and yes the new e plane is close to to the Twirp design lol

Wayne awesome vids also, you been a happy flying boy.

Dad great shop for sure,, I have a long way to go lol

Quote:
I bet Waldo could figure out a way to convert it to glow!
this will require an OS 25 to give it the performnance of a 61 on a 40 sized
When I built the Twirp I screwed up and sheeted the tail feathers for extra strength, just cause I thought it might need it, she came out way too tail heavy for an electric motor As I just couldn't get enough weight in the nose with the smaller fuse well I did eventually but didn't like the way it handled at all.

Heres a couple vids of the Twirp in action
Twirp to corn (0 min 21 sec)

Twirp Test flight 12 or something (2 min 44 sec)

Twirp Flight of kaos (0 min 50 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,752 Posts
I forgot to say

The 2.4 rx's aren't suppose to be wrapped in foam??? Really ???
On all my fuel models I actually make make a large piece of foam that usually fits the inside of the fuse perfectly snug then cut out the foam so I can place RX in it along with the battery this keeps vibrations down and I don't have to worry about it coming loose as there is nowhere for it to go and it makes the fuse pretty solid as well.

I haven't ventured into 2.4 world yet I'm still channel 44 for all of my fleet
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:41 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Welcome abaser! Don't worry about a thing, you are in good hands here. Their brains, on the other hand, are all slightly T---ted!!

Wow! Lots of great vids and some sad news of carnage, worst of all no video of those crashes!! What's up with that?!!

I'm afraid my thumbs won't work anymore. I'll have to start with my old Eagle 2 again, if I ever get a chance to fly again.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
I'm glad you guys have brought up the rx discussion. I was recently in my lhs and two guys were discussing 2.4ghz rx antenna placement. One seemed to like his setup, but the other said he refused to go 2.4 due to the unreliability if setup was not done properly. Since I plan to upgrade, do I need to follow some specific guidelines? I'm used to just dropping the antenna out the back somewhere with 72mhz.
These guys...sheesh...he refused to go 2.4 because of the potential unreliability? What about the unreliability of someone else stomping on your 72mhz frequency while you are flying?

Different 2.4ghz systems work differently; I don't own a system that requires a satellite RX so I can't speak to those. For Airtronics, there are two antenna leads; they are required to be placed at a 90 degree orientation from each other. That is the only requirement. If I can't figure that out and orient the two antenna leads to conform to that requirement, then I probably shouldn't be flying an R/C airplane in the first place. Oh yeah, and then there's this thing called a field check which includes a range check? Should be done for 72mhz and of course should still be done for 2.4ghz.

Go 2.4ghz, you won't regret it. Don't be intimidated by "stick in the muds".
Only valid reason I can see for arguing against 2.4ghz is the expense of upgrading TX and RX equipment.

[sorry if this is a bit of a rant to anyone]
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
I forgot to say

The 2.4 rx's aren't suppose to be wrapped in foam??? Really ???
On all my fuel models I actually make make a large piece of foam that usually fits the inside of the fuse perfectly snug then cut out the foam so I can place RX in it along with the battery this keeps vibrations down and I don't have to worry about it coming loose as there is nowhere for it to go and it makes the fuse pretty solid as well.

I haven't ventured into 2.4 world yet I'm still channel 44 for all of my fleet
I challenged that assertion as well...I would respectfully request proof of that statement because I don't believe it is true. I look forward to a healthy debate on this topic.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,752 Posts
Yes me too LOL I plan to upgrade to 2.4 when I get the money to buy a new box but right now my old 72mhz works just fine so I plan on spending the money on planes and engines that just took me by surprize when I heard that. My cuz just bought a new 2.4 Futaba system so I'll have to warn him about that if its true.I've always wrapped my rx's in foam for vibration/security reasons. thats a tough habbit to break I'm sure many of my 100mph straight in crashes would have damaged the rx's if they weren't protected in foam. so if thats the case I'll have to control my urge to slam my planes into the ground
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,348 Posts
I found the following post on Futaba's website regarding the foam/no foam question:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/receiver-tips.html

Quote:
1. Don't wrap your FASST receiver in foam.

Protecting your receiver from vibration by wrapping it in foam used to be a "must". Not so with 2.4GHz FASST receivers. Unlike 72MHz equipment, they're not as vulnerable to vibration. Using less foam lets them operate cooler - which is a plus for all electronics.

Tip: To keep the receiver cooler use small foam blocks (like standoffs) so that there is an air channel around the receiver.
While I would agree that this statement says that foam is not necessarily "needed" I don't see where it says foam "should not be used".

So how much heat builds up in an RX anyway? I had never thought that there would be any heat build up inside an RX...?

I think I'll keep wrapping my RX's in foam for now.
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Jan 09, 2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added quote block tag
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
billd... use some blue loctite. EVERYWHERE.
Yeah already used blue loctite everywhere. The double side tape I use is strong stuff. Maybe I'll just let it ride and see how it goes. But my guy is telling to use velcro, as it should provide (although not much) some vibration dampening. Anyway use green loctite? I have a bottle and not sure if it's stronger or less stronger than Blue.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
[
Different 2.4ghz systems work differently; I don't own a system that requires a satellite RX so I can't speak to those. For Airtronics, there are two antenna leads; they are required to be placed at a 90 degree orientation from each other. That is the only requirement. If I can't figure that out and orient the two antenna leads to conform to that requirement, then I probably shouldn't be flying an R/C airplane in the first place. Oh yeah, and then there's this thing called a field check which includes a range check? Should be done for 72mhz and of course should still be done for 2.4ghz.

Yeah spektrum Rx's are mounted the same way.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:31 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,032 Posts
We had a Club Meeting presentation last week over 2.4 and much of the discussion was not putting RX <2.4 and 72> due to them over heating in the foam. I personally have been using the most plush pile side of the velco for the RX to sit on, not strapping it down, so the pile bleeds off the vibrations and shock. If the wires are gathered securely, in a crash this would be a second catch "if" the rx hook velco where to come loose from the pile.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
I have had no issues with 2.4 whatsoever. Even the Cheap and I mean cheap HK receivers have done extemely well. I got three HK 7 channel Rx's for $33.00. I use them in my park flyers. They surpisingly do very well even a great distances. (wind took my foamy (38 inch wingspan)mustang) and even though I couldn't bring it back in the wind. I had control enough to keep trying to get it to come back, until I could just no longer see it. I chopped the throttle, result, after walking a mile to pick it up was just a busted prop. For my bigger stuff, I still put the brand name brand name Rx's , but I'm certain the HK rx's would work just as good.
Last edited by billd76; Jan 09, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
We had a Club Meeting presentation last week over 2.4 and much of the discussion was not putting RX <2.4 and 72> due to them over heating in the foam. I personally have been using the most plush pile side of the velco for the RX to sit on, not strapping it down, so the pile bleeds off the vibrations and shock. If the wires are gathered securely, in a crash this would be a second catch "if" the rx hook velco where to come loose from the pile.
I would think that if overheating of an RX was a problem the vendor would put cooling vents in the RX case somewhere to help with this problem...then we would at least know to not block the cooling vents...
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Ok, velcro it is. Makes good sense.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I would think that if overheating of an RX was a problem the vendor would put cooling vents in the RX case somewhere to help with this problem...then we would at least know to not block the cooling vents...
When you look at heat disipation with hard plastic, the case could naturally bleed of the heat without venting, once in cased in foam that would limit this. I dont like the RX being located in direct sunlight through the canopy either. Again, this is all personal preference I have adobted from different sources and my feel about heat. Heat can cause so many issue both short term and long term.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy