HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:22 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now I had changed the prop on my Hacker A 30/28 from an APC 12/6 to an APC 11/5.5, but she continued to squeal at WOT. I reduced my endpoint on my throttle to a point where the LED on the ESC went out. 140 to 125. in the proccess of doing this I over heated the motor just to the point where I could smell the windings. I don't know if I hurt the motor any but every since she hasn't squealed on me and I've even adjusted my EPA back to 140.
I ordered the Omega 72 or rather my brother did for helping him.
I'm thinking of doing a motor change tonight even though the Hacker is now doing FINE.
No if only the Omega does FINE.
BTW does anyone know FINE. I think I met FINE and maybe even done FINE.
OK FINE
They should not squeal at WOT. Sounds like a bearing problem to me. The squeal when you start the motor can be timing and/or prop load. Once it it spinning, it should not squeal any more.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
They should not squeal at WOT. Sounds like a bearing problem to me. The squeal when you start the motor can be timing and/or prop load. Once it it spinning, it should not squeal any more.
Yeah they will.. Devon McGrath dropped out of the King 50, his plane right after take off was in a full power up line and it "phase" squealed and he was out of the first round. 2nd round he had no issue with the same motor.

That happened to me in the past with the little Delta Foamy that Leadfeathers had on RCG. Motor was perfect with a 3S750. On the flights I would use a 3S1000, I could not go full throttle for the first 30 seconds of the flight or it would phase squeal. Seems after taking the top of the charge, after that full throttle was fine.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:42 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hilarious! And Mike why are you not flying?

I am going home to make sure I have the right ESC...don't need any squeelin' female ones.....

Flying the foamie in the gym tonight, my goal is to bounce off of every wall
Tom, I did go flying today, from 10am-about noon...had some really squirrely behavior with the Extra, and the Yak acted wierd too...not sure if it was the wind (it was a bit windier than I thought, out in the open field)...but the Vyper flew like a dream!

I figured out the problem with the Extra tonight...it was still tail heavy! So I moved things around and I think it will be more well-behaved tomorrow...we shall see!

I really need to get working on the Twist 60 repairs! I want to fly a plane that doesn't care about the wind! I miss floating around with that Saito!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:33 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,652 Posts
squeal at watt can also mean your prop. is too large and taxing the motor

or that your motor is now shot due to a too large a load, due to to large a prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:45 PM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I would like a few minutes with that son of a bitch.
Agreed Plow, just give me 5 minutes with that "Judge", it's all I'd need.
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:02 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
squeal at watt can also mean your prop. is too large and taxing the motor

or that your motor is now shot due to a too large a load, due to to large a prop.
I agree, I have had a APC E prop on the Twist that would do that, I went to the same size in a light wood and not a squeal one.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Now I havn't figured out why my Hacker doesn't squeal anymore ever since I got her hot.
I may have burnt a few windings, or it may have just needed a good breaking in.
I havn't been able to replicate my knife edge spin hover though, nor get it to spin as fast in a KE spin.
I got a big go around at my lawn mower shop, as I ordered a fuel nipple for my DLE from him and now he tells me it is not available after 4 days. I have found a 1/2 dozen places on the web that sells the fuel nipple for a walbro carb and ordered it. I should of ordered it from the web last week.
So now the Green Machine sits yet another week. It won't be long before she goes in for a winter tear down. She needs new hinges and I plan on beefing the wing pining area along with fixing my engine cowl as it has a boo boo.

Well it's going to be windy today but thats ok as I've got to go wash some bank windows.
I'll tell you guys it's hell being retired, and broke. It's almost as bad as working and being broke. But I'm glad I have a PT job that my boss lets me sit and rest every 30 minutes or so.
Anyways happy flying guys it's the weekend
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
LOL If you got it hot it's probably weakened the magnet, which can change the coil's back-feed EMF and for some reason your ESC likes it better.

Also has the advantage of higher kV but lower amp-draw efficiency.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Guys, I had a chance to go out and fly this morning, and so I did...and I wasn't alone! There were half a dozen members of my club that showed up to take advantage of this weather...winds were a bit strong (10-15) for the little electric planes that I had with me, but I managed to fly the Vyper a bunch of times, and got to see some other guys fly too! Winds made landing tricky...one guys did 4 bounces on one landing...on one of my landings the Vyper kind of stopped flying about a foot above the ground (the wind stopped for a second) so I punched it and went around, no problem...that was exciting for a moment! I didn't fly my 47" Extra because I've only flown it once before and i just adjusted the CG and so I don't really know how it flies yet, and because I think it is still underpowered/underpropped...so I'm waiting for a calmer day, perhaps Monday, to give it a try. All in all a good day...one guy lost radio control of his H9 Pulse 40 size and it spiraled in right in the middle of the field (at least we didn't have to go into the corn!)...after we analyzed the wreckage he found that one of the antenna wires on his RX had come loose. He had a good attitude about it...at least it wasn't pilot error/dumb thumbs...not much you can do when you lose radio contact. That's probably it for this weekend cause winds tomorrow will be 20-25. Monday might be okay...hope everyone has good weather this weekend. I might have a line on a replacement fuse for my Twist 60, I'm supposed to hear back from the guy tomorrow. <fingers crossed>
Cheers,
Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:01 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
LOL If you got it hot it's probably weakened the magnet, which can change the coil's back-feed EMF and for some reason your ESC likes it better.

-Eric
Funny you should mention that Eric. I tried to take some magnets out of an old motor by heating the bell. I got the magnets out but they were completely demagnetized. I did not know they would do that.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I went out and considered flying my edge today but it was cold and windy. The thing that really tipped the scales though was that I forgot my sunglasses
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I went out and considered flying my edge today but it was cold and windy. The thing that really tipped the scales though was that I forgot my sunglasses
Funny how something as simple as that can tip the scale, but I get it; I would probably make the same decision - I really count on my sunglasses when I'm flying.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:33 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,464 Posts
That blasted H9 cub is finished. For all the headach it was to assemble I did get one little surprise. The manual says to set CG up at 3 1/4 inches. So I pick the plane up and balance it, whaddaya know....3 1/4 inches. that was nice. Especially since there is about a pound of stuffed disney characters in the cockpit. I've got Stitch from Lilo and Stitch in the pilot seat. I've run the servo wires through his hands so it looks like he's ripping out the dash. And behind him is Goofy in the passanger seat, arms in the air, mouth wide open screaming. I saw him and decided he had to go in the plane. SO stuffed toys, modified plane with 2 elevator servos and pushrods, sullivan tailwheel and a 5 cell Ni-Cad battery and the sucker was balanced from the get go.

Tomorrow morning, the table has been cleared. Time to build me a twist!
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Last edited by Wookster; Nov 05, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:38 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post

-Eric
Cheers Eric!

I picked up one of those Hobby King Kv Meters for that purpose, I wanted to track Kv over time and see how they hold up. Neat little meter, does Kv, Volts, and RPM <all under no load of course.

Mike, hold that wind out there a bit longer. It was cold <48 maybe> today so me and a club member took out some mad trees in the back yard today. Tomorrow it might make 55.... if the winds pick up it might not.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:00 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
She looks really good Wookie.
Guys can anyone post a link to the twisters flying fields on google, I may be having a
fly-in
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50