HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I think the Omega bearings seized. It had been in a pretty hard nose in crash as you may recall. I think I was just pressing my luck taking it to its limits like that. I just wanted to see what it was like on 4s vs. 3s. What I found out is that its not worth toasting your motor and esc over lol. I noticed a touch more power but I didn't think it really overcame the extra weight. Vertical was very similar. 4s had a higher top speed but since you have to go down to a 12x6 prop there wasn't really an additional punch. So for me the Jury is in and the verdict is the 48 edge is a 3s bird since the benefits of 4s are very limited.

The Omega 130g can be had for $55 and the airboss 45 is selling for around $70 now. I can say I'm not going to put the same stuff back in. Can't afford it. I need to find a good substitute.
Nate,
What do you think about this motor?
I don't have one, but the specs seem to be close (although it is over an ounce heavier than the Omega, I think.)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb99-3025-870kv.html
It seems if you want the power of the Omega or Hacker or Motrofly and a similar weight, those are about your only options...everything else I could find is a bit heavier to get the same power.

I found one other option, but they are (of course) out of stock:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:07 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Just got one of these new in the box. Ready to mount the fuel tank. iDirections call out mounting the tank in the forward area of the wing. I think I would prefer to mount it on the fuselage. Also rudder and elevator are set up for pull pull with servos mounted in the wing as well. I'm thinking of course it would be easier to mount them on the fuse near the tail. However pull pull wires are already installed and routed through the fuse. What would you all do? still flying the 60. Traveling alot for work these days though.
I have a MM Top Cap that I got NIB and built up. Went to an OS 61. (way more than necessary) Mounted the tank on standoffs opposite the engine. Moved the elevator and rudder servos to the tail for CG issues. Individual servos in the wings for ailerons. Flies OK but not great by today's standards. Landing gear is very soft and bends on just about any landing. These Airframes were fun flyer pre 3D days. Maybe early 3D.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
4S on a 3S size prop can let out that magic smoke, not sure if you prop'd down for the test.
That is what I was going to say. You increase the voltage you have to decrease the prop.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:52 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
I did indeed prop down to the recommended APC 12x6 for 4s.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I did indeed prop down to the recommended APC 12x6 for 4s.
The only other thing, besides that pesky bearing would be too much 4S, 2200 ish should not have caused any issues. That sux, to you point, I am glad the BEC held out. <phew>
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Thanks. that is just what I needed. Been racking my brain all week on the HK website, not sure what to get. those all will work!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Thanks. that is just what I needed. Been racking my brain all week on the HK website, not sure what to get. those all will work!!
That servo has some nasty marks on the reviews.... Of course 3 are from the same guy. 8)
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:06 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That servo has some nasty marks on the reviews.... Of course 3 are from the same guy. 8)
I have used a lot of them. No problems so far. I have 4 in my Pitts M12.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
My wife surprised me with the hs85mg I ordered a few days ago. I didn't even think it had shipped yet. So I am excited to try it in the slick.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Hey Nate, I'll be in San Diego at 2:30 PM on the 13th. Probably take me 2-3 hrs to leave there. Should be around St George on the 14th sometime between 9am and noon. Plan on driving 3 or 4 hrs the 13th and it is only 6 hrs from you where I'm leaving from.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Last edited by jacklegchris; Sep 30, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:02 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
sweet I'll see if I can get some time off. I'll pm you my contact info.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Well supper was over by 6, the wind had laid down, so I just had to fly the Edge.
I went out to my property. I'd called another buddy of mine that has a herr cub and by the time I got out there he was up and flying.
I had him land and he hand launched me. I only used 3/4 throttle and she was off and flying. I flew a pattern for a couple of minutes. My CG is very neutral to maybe just a tad tail heavy.
Now wouldn't you know it, The wind from some time ago had blown my cooler out on to the runway just alittle from the edge. And I hadn't mowed the field in 2 months so the grass on the runway is 2 ft or so.
So anyways when I was coming in on approach I had her looking good and was planning a smooth touch down in the tall grass, when I noticed my old cooler right in her glide path and then THUD.
Luckly she just bent the landing gear. So this time I hand launched her. It was alittle diffcult launching her but she took right off. I only used low rate and found I was running out of elev. Though she did have a tendency to pitch nose high.
I'm getting ready to wring her out. maybe tomorrow.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:41 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,474 Posts
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:22 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I installed a hangar for the Extra.

1500lb winch, 18lb anchor.

Last edited by waynemia; Oct 01, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:23 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Airplane lands in a Ferris wheel: