HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I'll say it again that we need to police ourselves, It could be done. I'm also not against a little regulation, But our govt goes from one extreme to the other. Just like our sex offender's law. There is a big difference beteewn a 30yro man with a 15 yro girl than a 19 yro boy and a 15 yro girl. That 19 yro boy will be a registered sex offender the rest of his life. I've seen it on tv several times and it's a shame our govt goes from 1 extreme to the other.

I got the Edge ready for flight. But my charger is in the Linclon and she's in Weatherby.
Owell if the weather holds up and I get the time today, I still may be able to get a flight in
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:30 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I'll say it again that we need to police ourselves, It could be done. I'm also not against a little regulation, But our govt goes from one extreme to the other. Just like our sex offender's law. There is a big difference beteewn a 30yro man with a 15 yro girl than a 19 yro boy and a 15 yro girl. That 19 yro boy will be a registered sex offender the rest of his life. I've seen it on tv several times and it's a shame our govt goes from 1 extreme to the other.

I got the Edge ready for flight. But my charger is in the Linclon and she's in Weatherby.
Owell if the weather holds up and I get the time today, I still may be able to get a flight in
Kerwin,
Looks like the fixes were simple enough...looks good after the repairs too! Nice job. Now go fly...and Fly Low! But charge your batteries first!
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
thanks

For the replies on the profile. I think I will mount the tank on the fuse. Mainly because the left wing servos are mounted once the tank is installed making it impossible to remove the tank without first removing the servos. Will use the pull pul set up for the rudder and elevator. I also got a PA addiction extra MX. Need to figure out an alternate cheaper motor than the thrust 50. Also cheaper servos other the Hitec 5085's. What can I say, need to stay cheap to keep the wife happy. She already went into orbit for me buying two planes in one week! Even though I got them really cheap!!! Thing is I have the money, don't understand why she got so mad!! Come to think of it, I guess I just don't understand women!!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
For the replies on the profile. I think I will mount the tank on the fuse. Mainly because the left wing servos are mounted once the tank is installed making it impossible to remove the tank without first removing the servos. Will use the pull pul set up for the rudder and elevator. I also got a PA addiction extra MX. Need to figure out an alternate cheaper motor than the thrust 50. Also cheaper servos other the Hitec 5085's. What can I say, need to stay cheap to keep the wife happy. She already went into orbit for me buying two planes in one week! Even though I got them really cheap!!! Thing is I have the money, don't understand why she got so mad!! Come to think of it, I guess I just don't understand women!!!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._60_Glow_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._60_Glow_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8760
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Good Advice Mike, you don't know just how tempting it can be just to seek out and go for a quick 10 minute flight.
Bill I hear you, but now I have to listen to her as I don't have the money LOL

Still it reminds me of a story back in 1994. This guy went and bought futaba's lastest and greatest radio. He paid like a grand for it and his wife complained. He ask her how much she spent on this piano and she said 3 thousand. he replied Honey you spent 3 thousand and havn't played it more than a dozen times and I only spent a grand and I'm going to use this radio every chance I get. So who really got the better deal. LOL
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Good Advice Mike, you don't know just how tempting it can be just to seek out and go for a quick 10 minute flight.

Still it reminds me of a story back in 1994. This guy went and bought futaba's lastest and greatest radio. He paid like a grand for it and his wife complained. He ask her how much she spent on this piano and she said 3 thousand. he replied Honey you spent 3 thousand and havn't played it more than a dozen times and I only spent a grand and I'm going to use this radio every chance I get. So who really got the better deal. LOL
Sounds like the start of a fight to me.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:05 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Light Sport

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6151505&type=1
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,074 Posts
Well I toasted my omega 130g and airboss 45 this morning running on 4s. It was totally my bad and a dumb move. I never even tried the watt meter before taking off. Luckily the bec held up for the landing. It sux to lose that motor but the esc hurts the worst. I freaking loved that thing. So here goes....
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Well I toasted my omega 130g and airboss 45 this morning running on 4s. It was totally my bad and a dumb move. I never even tried the watt meter before taking off. Luckily the bec held up for the landing. It sux to lose that motor but the esc hurts the worst. I freaking loved that thing. So here goes....
Bummer!!!!

What happened?
The Omega 130g is designed to run on 4S.
That Airboss is rated for 2-6S lipos.
That Airboss 45 is a real loss....aren't those things like $100?
Of course the Omega 130g is not cheap either...
-Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Bummer!!!!

What happened?
The Omega 130g is designed to run on 4S.
That Airboss is rated for 2-6S lipos.
That Airboss 45 is a real loss....aren't those things like $100?
Of course the Omega 130g is not cheap either...
-Mike
I think the Omega bearings seized. It had been in a pretty hard nose in crash as you may recall. I think I was just pressing my luck taking it to its limits like that. I just wanted to see what it was like on 4s vs. 3s. What I found out is that its not worth toasting your motor and esc over lol. I noticed a touch more power but I didn't think it really overcame the extra weight. Vertical was very similar. 4s had a higher top speed but since you have to go down to a 12x6 prop there wasn't really an additional punch. So for me the Jury is in and the verdict is the 48 edge is a 3s bird since the benefits of 4s are very limited.

The Omega 130g can be had for $55 and the airboss 45 is selling for around $70 now. I can say I'm not going to put the same stuff back in. Can't afford it. I need to find a good substitute.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,548 Posts
Quote:
I think the Omega bearings seized. It had been in a pretty hard nose in crash as you may recall. I think I was just pressing my luck taking it to its limits like that. I just wanted to see what it was like on 4s vs. 3s. What I found out is that its not worth toasting your motor and esc over lol. I noticed a touch more power but I didn't think it really overcame the extra weight. Vertical was very similar. 4s had a higher top speed but since you have to go down to a 12x6 prop there wasn't really an additional punch. So for me the Jury is in and the verdict is the 48 edge is a 3s bird since the benefits of 4s are very limited.

The Omega 130g can be had for $55 and the airboss 45 is selling for around $70 now. I can say I'm not going to put the same stuff back in. Can't afford it. I need to find a good substitute.
Yeah, I hear you...sometimes you go with the best components, sometimes you go with what you can afford! I'm really glad you had a separate BEC so you could land the plane and save the airframe! This was your 3DHS 48" Edge, correct? I'm starting to think either a separate battery pack or (more likely) a separate BEC to power the RX/Servos will be a mandatory component in all my future electric setups. Did the ESC smoke or catch fire? How do you know it is ruined? I'm assuming the motor locked up on you and will no longer turn over, or at least makes very nasty noises while turning?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:

That sucks
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:04 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Yeah, I hear you...sometimes you go with the best components, sometimes you go with what you can afford! I'm really glad you had a separate BEC so you could land the plane and save the airframe! This was your 3DHS 48" Edge, correct? I'm starting to think either a separate battery pack or (more likely) a separate BEC to power the RX/Servos will be a mandatory component in all my future electric setups. Did the ESC smoke or catch fire? How do you know it is ruined? I'm assuming the motor locked up on you and will no longer turn over, or at least makes very nasty noises while turning?
Actually it was not a separate bec. I was using the built in one. That's why I feel so lucky about it. It didn't crap out. The esc still tries to work. It just doesn't get more than about 100 rpms when I try and spin it up. I tested it to see if it had the good luck to survive the ordeal.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, tried to explain that "well honey you just a new caddie STX and all new granite counter tops in the kitchen, I could buy a boat load of planes for hat kind of money" and she still said, but you can only fly one at a time!! You don't need 14 planes!! Oh but I do!! I do!!! I need at a bare minumum of 20! At least that will do until I get my Jr 12 channel. Thanks for the advice on the Profile and the MX. Now if I could just stay home long enough to get one of them done!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:59 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,332 Posts
Quote:
4S on a 3S size prop can let out that magic smoke, not sure if you prop'd down for the test.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy