SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I was looking at that the other night. I can't believe they made the fuse out of carbon fiber. Seriously awesome. I think I know why the prices on carbon have been through the roof... Boeing wants every scrap of it they can get!
Scary thing on an CF plane is that there is not really a good way to repair it (at least not like aluminum, hehe). Should be interesting!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:30 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Guys we need to keep our eyes an ears open. People that want to use a model jet plane to fly explosives are going to need help from the RC community. I'm just saying keep your eyes open.

Yes I maiden the 3DHS 41" Edge. the wind was very variable 10 to 15 mph out of the west shifting to the north with winds above 20 ft being well over 15 mph.
Now I had used an 22 gage ant wire off and old circut board that I had robbed some parts off of before.
Anyways I used the ant wire to balance the buckhuck, 3DHS 540 Edge
Now with the 2100 batt moved all the way forward, it showed a slightly nose heavy condition, while the 1800 battery showed a more neutral condition.
So I put the 1800 in it and had a buddy hand launch it, at about 3/4 throttle.
She took off like a scalded dog and wanting to fly pitch down.
Now earlier I had set the trim steps on my radio to a very fine movement per step.
I throttled back a bit more and boy it took forever to get enough elev trim for level flight.
I made 3 passes with her after achieving level flight, but I was questioning all the uptrim I had in her so I decided to bring her in.
So on final I let her drop her nose and then when I pull back on the elev she seemed to struggle alittle raising the nose.
I got the nose raised but it was alittle to hot for an approach so I throttle up some and went around for another approach.
Just before touch down she dropped on her nose. She hit hard enough to knock the landing gear loose.
Now here is my 1st mistake. I didn't glue the plug the holds the gear in place as I wanted to be able to pull the gear when I wanted too. By not doing that it had weakened the gear considerable.
Not knowing that I put the plane up again only with the battery pack moved futher back.
Now on that flight I really had to retrim to elev again to a more neutral position, while fighting the winds aloft.
I few the plane for two more minutes and decided to land her as I had used up 5 minutes of battery time.
So on my approach this time I was bringing her into the wind using a little throttle and at about knee high the wind quit and she stalled. It really wasn't that hard of a hit but it broke the landing gear formers. So she's on the kitchen table now.
And I got that airplane time killing Linclon still plaguing me. I made the mistake of trying to drill that lock out and now I can't get a slide hammer to get my lock out.
So I'm off to deal with that besides having to deal with a carpet job later.

Anyways Good Day
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guys we need to keep our eyes an ears open. People that want to use a model jet plane to fly explosives are going to need help from the RC community. I'm just saying keep your eyes open.

Yes I maiden the 3DHS 41" Edge. the wind was very variable 10 to 15 mph out of the west shifting to the north with winds above 20 ft being well over 15 mph.
Now I had used an 22 gage ant wire off and old circut board that I had robbed some parts off of before.
Anyways I used the ant wire to balance the buckhuck, 3DHS 540 Edge
Now with the 2100 batt moved all the way forward, it showed a slightly nose heavy condition, while the 1800 battery showed a more neutral condition.
So I put the 1800 in it and had a buddy hand launch it, at about 3/4 throttle.
She took off like a scalded dog and wanting to fly pitch down.
Now earlier I had set the trim steps on my radio to a very fine movement per step.
I throttled back a bit more and boy it took forever to get enough elev trim for level flight.
I made 3 passes with her after achieving level flight, but I was questioning all the uptrim I had in her so I decided to bring her in.
So on final I let her drop her nose and then when I pull back on the elev she seemed to struggle alittle raising the nose.
I got the nose raised but it was alittle to hot for an approach so I throttle up some and went around for another approach.
Just before touch down she dropped on her nose. She hit hard enough to knock the landing gear loose.
Now here is my 1st mistake. I didn't glue the plug the holds the gear in place as I wanted to be able to pull the gear when I wanted too. By not doing that it had weakened the gear considerable.
Not knowing that I put the plane up again only with the battery pack moved futher back.
Now on that flight I really had to retrim to elev again to a more neutral position, while fighting the winds aloft.
I few the plane for two more minutes and decided to land her as I had used up 5 minutes of battery time.
So on my approach this time I was bringing her into the wind using a little throttle and at about knee high the wind quit and she stalled. It really wasn't that hard of a hit but it broke the landing gear formers. So she's on the kitchen table now.
And I got that airplane time killing Linclon still plaguing me. I made the mistake of trying to drill that lock out and now I can't get a slide hammer to get my lock out.

Anyways Good Day
Hehe...well, at least it's basically in lone piece...could have been worse! Hope the repairs go quick!

I finished my 48" edge this week and want to maiden it Saturday but they are calling for 10-20mph winds. Although it is supposed to diminish as the day goes on so may be it will be ok.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:22 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
Bummer Kerwin... those little planes just don't handle the breezes as well. I'm not sure exactly with the buck huck but on my 48" edge and my 51 slick I just put my fingers under the wing-tube right before I fly to check for balance. If it balances there or close to it it is good to go. I pretty much ignore the manual as I have found most of the recommendations are pretty subjective to personal preferences. These planes fly great for a pretty wide range of CG values.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Just bought me a new to me Excursion. Got to fly to LA area to pick it up. So... Nate I may be driving back up I-15 close to you and may need to take a pit stop.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,461 Posts
Quote:

Anyways Good Day
Kerwin,
Sorry to hear about the landing gear formers - I'm sure it will be a quick fix for you. Sounds like you had more than a "breeze" to deal with on these flights! And the breeze died just at the wrong time! Darn!
Hope the Lincoln gets fixed soon so you don't have to worry about it anymore and that your carpet job goes quickly.
Better luck on your next Buck Huck flight!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Just hypothetical mind you. What if you WANTED stronger regulation on something, say remote aircraft. And say you wanted to swing public sympathy your way. You MIGHT use some kind of scare tactic to so that the CONTROL mongers could yell, "See! I told you so!"

Just thinking...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Just hypothetical mind you. What if you WANTED stronger regulation on something, say remote aircraft. And say you wanted to swing public sympathy your way. You MIGHT use some kind of scare tactic to so that the CONTROL mongers could yell, "See! I told you so!"

Just thinking...
Its Sux when you pull the logic card and it makes sense. This could totally be the next discussion on Alex Jones's Radio show.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris View Post
Just bought me a new to me Excursion. Got to fly to LA area to pick it up. So... Nate I may be driving back up I-15 close to you and may need to take a pit stop.
When will you be coming through?
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:58 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Quote:

Just thinking...
You know Wayne, my brother thinks that big brother( The Govt) is allowing and maybe possibly promoting certian actions by some group or individual , in order to enact certian laws, just to be able to control john q public a little more.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
You know Wayne, my brother thinks that big brother( The Govt) is allowing and maybe possibly promoting certian actions by some group or individual , in order to enact certian laws, just to be able to control john q public a little more.
There are apparently records that go back as WW2 that indicate the use of "False Flag" issues to justify many things like funding, laws, presidents getting shot..... its an endless mud puddle.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:52 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
There are apparently records that go back as WW2 that indicate the use of "False Flag" issues to justify many things like funding, laws, presidents getting shot..... its an endless mud puddle.
the government sponsors these type activities everyday...they want control of everything that will line their pockets... "if it can be taxed, control or own it"
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
If you are interested, this is a HC Bixler.

I did not realize the credits were so fast.

Hobby King Bixler Maiden Flight (6 min 15 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 29, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
If you are interested, this is a HC Bixler.

I did not realize the credits were so fast.
How does it stack up to the others in this class of planes. Wild Hawk comes to mind... What a POS those can be.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
When will you be coming through?
Probably on the 13th or the 14th of Oct. I'll know more as it gets closer.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris