both are weak servos

certain hitec's are actually very great
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,139 Posts
Just got back from flying...limited time...flew 4 packs on my Vyper and really enjoyed all four. Gino maidened his electric twist 40 and it did great...I got a little video before my camera battery crapped out which I will post later.

Club is planning a picnic for tomorrow; not sure how the weather will be...going anyway...can't pass up burgers on the grill at the flying field! Hope to fly the Su-26 tomorrow; ddn't have time today.

Gotta get a suit on and get to a wedding!
Cheers,
Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
81's are by far not my favorite servos
but exclusevely use hitec in most of my planes

81's are kind of like the 55's but just larger
both are weak servos

certain hitec's are actually very great
I have a pair of 81s. I am going to use one as a Throttle Servo on my Pro Bro Plank It is an OS 35, think it will hold up for that?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:21 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
I have only had a couple 81s, and they were both metal gears.

The plastic gear ones are full of fail. lol.

IDK if I'd trust it on throttle or not. If there's no load it'd be alright I guess. Never tried it.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have a pair of 81s. I am going to use one as a Throttle Servo on my Pro Bro Plank It is an OS 35, think it will hold up for that?
I would not use them on anything that has to work! Maybe if they are metal gear...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
I am using a couple 81's as throttle servos. I think I may have replaced the gears on one. At the time I thought it was an upgrade from the Tower Pro 9 and 14 gm I often use on my profiles. I use std TP's in my full fuse planes.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,091 Posts
mg servos are great

karbonite or plastic gears are not my thing anymore

others swear by high end karbonite or other than mg servos

throttle servo i think it does not matter what you use

even really high priced servos are imho a waste of money

regular servos over digital seem to work just fine for certain things as well

$100 servos are imho a waste of money, unless your planes is worth thousands of dollars

I got $100 servos from warrantee for free and put them in my ultra stick 60 and feel no need or difference at all, in total 7 of them in the stick like over $700 in servos, for free though, but a total over priced item , something I would never actually spend money on myself

I would rather get a good OS engine
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I am using a couple 81's as throttle servos. I think I may have replaced the gears on one. At the time I thought it was an upgrade from the Tower Pro 9 and 14 gm I often use on my profiles. I use std TP's in my full fuse planes.
The pair I have are brand new old stock, they have the old gold letters logo. I am not sure if that is better or worst. Is the failure on these the gears or Electrics?
I have those Hex MG 14 metal gears but they are not real smooth for fine moves.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
The pair I have are brand new old stock, they have the old gold letters logo. I am not sure if that is better or worst. Is the failure on these the gears or Electrics?
MG-14s are terrific! MG-16s too.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
MG-14s are terrific! MG-16s too.
They seem ratchety.
I was impressed during the king 50 to find out often the best servo on the planes were the throttle. Hovering a few grand inches off the ground like they do, I guess they want smooth control.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Just got back from flying...limited time...flew 4 packs on my Vyper and really enjoyed all four. Gino maidened his electric twist 40 and it did great...I got a little video before my camera battery crapped out which I will post later.

Club is planning a picnic for tomorrow; not sure how the weather will be...going anyway...can't pass up burgers on the grill at the flying field! Hope to fly the Su-26 tomorrow; ddn't have time today.

Gotta get a suit on and get to a wedding!
Cheers,
Mike
Good luck Mike
I got my edge somewhat ready, I'm not the most pleased with the timing on my hobbywing pentium 40a. At 1st the default timing was set to low and the motor would squel at anything over 1/2 throttle. I set the timing to high and now I will get an occaisional squeal going from high to low and back to high
I've got to work on my wife's car tomorrow but I am hoping to fly some.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,650 Posts
My brother and I traveled to an event called sWARm where we participated in epp flying wing combat. This is honestly the first event I have ever been to as an RC pilot and it was a major BLAST! We had about 60 pilots show up mostly from Utah. At around 10:00 we had a mass launch where everyone launched their flying wing at once and it was total MAYHEM.

The trip started out with a 4.5 hour drive up to a friend's home where we stayed over. We spent the afternoon and evening building planes in his basement. I worked on a 47" extremeflight yak. I was impressed with many of the features and the workmanship seemed to be really good. This being said, I wouldn't buy one of their ARF's just for the simple fact that it takes twice as much work to put it together as my 3DHS planes have taken. I guess I'm just lazy like that. I got it about half way completed in 3 hours or so.

The sWARm started at 9:00 this morning. We ended up showing up around 9:30 due to road construction detors. There are really no rules except there is a flight line established (the event took place at a remote sod farm). The objective is to hopefully have as many mid-air collisions as possible. I compare the sound to NASCAR but higher pitched having that many wings going at once.

We were flying borrowed wings since neither my brother or I have decided to invest in them. I was amazed by the durability of the epp. You should have seen some of the crashes they took and all it took to get them airborne again was a quick inspection and a hard toss. I definietely need to get one although the only time I'd probly fly it would be at this event every six months.

I took advantage of some of the free flying time to get some flights on my 48 edge and 51 slick. The slick has balistic vertical performance with the hacker A30-10XL with a 13x6.5 prop. A real joy to fly although I need to replace the elevator servo. It has a ton of play in the gears that leads to quite a bit of flutter on the elevator. I was also having problems getting it trimmed right.

At noon one of the pilots was slated to do a demo with a 50cc size Cox model Pitts bipe. It is an amazing plane. It runs on a motor about as big around as my bicept (mostly fat haha) and 12s. About 1 minute into his flight his esc let out the magic smoke. I actually could see flames inside his cowl. Luckily he was able to deadstick land it safely even though for a second I thought he was going to hit the crowd.

At the end of the day as things were winding down I got to try an alula. If you don't know what that is it is basically a baby brother to DLG's. It is made of epp and you toss it up as high as you can from the wingtip and then just control the glide. It is strangely addicting. It was fun to start being able to bring it back to myself for a catch and another flip.

The day was just really awesome! I haven't had a chance to try that many different elements of what this hobby has to offer all in one day. Up to this point I have usually never spent more than a few hours out flying. I look forward to going to as many events like this in future as I can. I think this particular event is going to be slated as a new tradition for as long as I live in Utah or somewhere close enough to make it.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,673 Posts
The Utah Flyers are one of the biggest outfits I have seen dedicated to Wings. Their web site is where I learned to set up my Hot wire and such. Looks like they have updated their web site since I was there last.

That had to be a great time, they are serious about their wings.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
They seem ratchety.
I was impressed during the king 50 to find out often the best servo on the planes were the throttle. Hovering a few grand inches off the ground like they do, I guess they want smooth control.
My MGs work great, no complaints at all. I have installed 10 or more of them. The 55" foamy has them in the ailerons. They are very clean, strong, and good centering.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:33 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,151 Posts
Bixler maiden tomorrow. I hope that goes well. I built it for a new young flier in the club. It needs a new prop adapter but I could not figure out how to get the old one off. The prop adapter only allows thin hub props. Even the prop that came with it did not allow it to be attached well. I think I will shoot a real review and post it.

This plane is branded a Bixler by Hobby King.

It is a Sky Surfer V1.

Very close in shape and size to an Easy Star but it has ailerons.