Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
MT I'm so jealous LOL
You know your going to have to give us a flight report with the DOG included with pictures.
That's Camera Abuse to have me in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Airtronics receivers are available for approx $11/channel, which I think is a good value, and they are super reliable and not as expensive as Futaba. That was true in 1986 and it is still true today. Airtronics has 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 channel RXs, and they even have a 4ch park flyer (very light weight) RX that works well in foamies. I'm surprised that more people don't use Airtronics, especially now that they have the RDS 8000, the SD-5, the SD-6, and the SD-10G TXs.
I seen very little Spektrum at the King 50, I am thinking I will be seeing less at my house. A friend traded me a AR 9000 with 2 Sats for a standard PCM Futaba 72 Mhz.... Even up... I asked if he was serious, he said sure.... I like my plane. I have heard there were issues with the 9000, some needed sent in, its just to much "rush to market" with those products.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hmmmmm...I have 2 AR6200's and 2 AR6210's and I literally have had zero issues, ever (knock on wood)...no brown outs, no funny stuff. I do not fly my batteries too low though and I test them with a load meter. I have a 6210 in my 71" Slick too. I also have 2 Orange 6200 clones (with satellite) and I use one in my new EF 48" edge and it works flawlessly as well.....

Go Figure
I think the issue is the temporary voltage drops under load to end up with a brown out. If your esc is putting out 5v (default for may built in bec's) then you could easily have a potential voltage drop to below 4.8 under a heavy load maneuver like entering a blender or KE spin. I do blenders at half to full throttle all the time so I could see my servos having a pretty good spike in appetite for a few moments. Even at the end of the pack a 3s lipo should be supplying plenty of voltage to the bec. I'd say we all just need to up our voltage to 6v in our esc programming.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Love my Spektrum stuff AND my DX8.

Most of the guys at our field (except for the hard headed old timers, lol) are using Spektrum radios/receivers and the one and only incident I can recall is my friends twist going in but I am not honestly sure what caused it...he was a noobie and that was his first build. I fly every weekend and my kid does too and and between us and others at our field, there has been no incidents. Always make sure you have a solid light on the Rx and satellite before flying and make sure your batteries hold a good charge

There are a lot of people who I think just don't understand the technology.....
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:33 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I think the issue is the temporary voltage drops under load to end up with a brown out. If your esc is putting out 5v (default for may built in bec's) then you could easily have a potential voltage drop to below 4.8 under a heavy load maneuver like entering a blender or KE spin. I do blenders at half to full throttle all the time so I could see my servos having a pretty good spike in appetite for a few moments. Even at the end of the pack a 3s lipo should be supplying plenty of voltage to the bec. I'd say we all just need to up our voltage to 6v in our esc programming.
Hmmm...probably a good point but I am running my EF edge under the factory settings with no problems on Savox digital servos. 7 minute flights (could probably do 8 but I don't) and my kid rings it's neck more than I do, lol. This plane has the Orange on it. My kids twist 40 is also using a 4.8 volt pack and he goes 6-7 flights on a charge without issue (he probably has 50 plus flights on it) but that plane has crappy S3003 servos, hehe.

All my other planes have 6V NiMH and my Slick uses a single 2300mah A123 to power everything. Honestly, I have complete faith in my spektrum stuff and nothing has ever happened to cause me to feel otherwise. I pray I am not jinxing myself either
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Always make sure you have a solid light on the Rx and satellite before flying and make sure your batteries hold a good charge

There are a lot of people who I think just don't understand the technology.....
There is part of the problem, some planes the RX is not easy to see <not the case with mine> but other then the rx driven by a battery pack, should you have to do that? I have always done the TX then RX, RX then TX on any, even the Corona Synth 72 which I had very solid luck with. Not sure why I have to babysit a light.

My bud in the UK just emailed me, he is sending both his DX8's in for recalls. I was very doubtful of Spread, it took a chance, it is not the end of the world since one plane was lost, but it sure makes a fella nervous.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That's Camera Abuse to have me in pictures.

I seen very little Spektrum at the King 50, I am thinking I will be seeing less at my house. A friend traded me a AR 9000 with 2 Sats for a standard PCM Futaba 72 Mhz.... Even up... I asked if he was serious, he said sure.... I like my plane. I have heard there were issues with the 9000, some needed sent in, its just to much "rush to market" with those products.

Hope someone has a vid camera... I don't.. can't decide... new camera or new planes....

NAAAA... new planes... who needs a camera...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
I use HItec in 2.4.... just now changing over....

next radio is Hitec 2.4 Aurora.... under $425 with digitals and 2 9ch RX
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
There is part of the problem, some planes the RX is not easy to see <not the case with mine> but other then the rx driven by a battery pack, should you have to do that? I have always done the TX then RX, RX then TX on any, even the Corona Synth 72 which I had very solid luck with. Not sure why I have to babysit a light.

My bud in the UK just emailed me, he is sending both his DX8's in for recalls. I was very doubtful of Spread, it took a chance, it is not the end of the world since one plane was lost, but it sure makes a fella nervous.
Well that is certainly understood and I say, go with whatever makes you most comfortable for sure! I bought my DX8 a month ago used from a guy who had sent it in for the latest updates and it has been rock solid. In all honesty, it is a fantastic, easy to use radio Prior to it my kid and I have been using DX6i's with no problems. I like that the DX 8 has and SD card for doing the updates. I also think Mfr. supports these radios very well.

If you have ever been flying and you notice the blinking light on the Rx after you land, that is an indication that something is up. It does not mean you cannot control your plane but it does mean there was a signal interruption of some sort and it bears investigation.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Yeah I don't even fly PCM as I've seen to many PCM lock outs in my day.
I like an RX that can recover quickly after a glitch.

Well I got my tail feathers off my old twist airframe and have been working on replacing the old ca hinges with new ones as I had to cut the old hinges in order to install stabilzers on the fuse.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:45 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:

Well I got my tail feathers off my old twist airframe and have been working on replacing the old ca hinges with new ones as I had to cut the old hinges in order to install stabilzers on the fuse.
Sound fun, hehe. Oh and let me know when you get that battery I sent ya....
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,261 Posts
Quote:

I agree. I like a good Dual Conversion DF127
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
My next plane????

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/listing?id=1336039
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:18 PM
winston mo