Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
the rain is finally here, right now just bands...

looks like this is headed for Albany.... WALDO, TEK.... LOOK OUT
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
wow it got busy in here while I was gone

48" edge rdy to go...

the first two pics highlight the transparent blue. I don't think it actually turned out looking THAT bad... but you definitely notice it.
Nate are you building on momma's table ? Your as bad as I am I got a workshop but I'll build in the kitchen or living room
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Got to fly today - 83degrees and 10mph winds. Flew the Vyper a few times (that plane does knife edge very well!) until 9am when gas & glow are allowed to fly; then flew the TT60 and had a bunch of fun with that; had to stop after one flight... because I ran out of glow fuel! I wasn't even watching how much was in the jug! I filled the tank as the jug went dry! Of course, it was a 15minute flight, so I made it worth it! Then I got to fly my Su-26 a few times and was able to land each time without problems (read: no broken props today!) Also, tweaked the engine leaner by "just a bit" and now the DLE-30 is singing along with a sweet sound. Got a little more intense today - more inverted flying, more knife edge passes; working on making clean and crisp four point rolls. Really flies well with the Falcon 18x8 wood prop I got from MaxProducts. All in all a great flying day!

Only sad news of the day was watching a fellow club members AT-6 with a Genoah G62 take a dirt nap. He was doing a low fly by of the field - that plane is large, 20+ pounds and makes a great sound as it roars by. Well, this time as he flew by, we heard a loud (really loud) snap and watched in horror as the wing spar failed...one wing fluttered down over the center of the field as the plane and the other wing did an ungraceful knife edge into the dirt at the far end of the field. Nothing but splinters of balsa everywhere. We helped him pick up the pieces in two plastic garbage bags. What a shame, that was a very nice airplane.

Very sorry to hear about the people on the east coast - that can't be any kind of fun to be dealing with that hurricane. Also, continuing to pray for respite from the heat and drought in Texas and surrounding areas.

-Mike
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:33 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I have not done one of these exports before. This is the Big Stik 40 from RF sim. I made it larger, put a DA-50 on it and made the ailerons, elevator, and rudder bigger.

You can 3D it now. What I think is interesting is you can fly really slow and practice maneuvers - almost like slow motion.

Anyway, give it a try if you like. It is not a perfect model but kind of fun.

I have some ballast in it so you can add to subtract from that if you want.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:38 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Great flight report Mike
WOW what caused that wingspar to snap? I really hate seeing a crash from somthing like that.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:40 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Yea, hard to hear about the carnage and I am supposed to fly tomorrow. Makes me nervous.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Great flight report Mike
WOW what caused that wingspar to snap? I really hate seeing a crash from somthing like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Yea, hard to hear about the carnage and I am supposed to fly tomorrow. Makes me nervous.
The way this wing was built, we are still not sure how it was supported. Each wing joined contained an aluminum tube which fit into the center wing panel. I would have expected the center wing panel to have a wing tube into which the outboard wing tubes fit, but it appears there was only a non-metal? center wing tube. I'm guessing it was that center wing "tube" that failed. Not sure what brand of model this was, but the pilot has flown it at our field a number of times.
In fact, I took a video of one of the last flights of this plane:

CLIP0117.AVI (5 min 10 sec)

RIP AT6
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
sold the ranch... we stay in the trailer up in the mountains, or at our daughters in town..
a place to fly at both locations... or we can go down and fly with Chris

You can always rent an RV
Come on up. Got kinda hot today though (95)
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,758 Posts
Howdy all

Brathanke Nice servo arm

Sorry to hear of the 20lb dirt eater thats a real bummer for sure.

thanks for the Zenoah advice guys I'll look at all of that for sure.

I can't buy any engines right now but thank you and the 91FX runs great Thats the engine I was going to put in the Edge I was trying to buy

I have plenty of 40 sizes also

I do need an OS 1.60 LOL or a gasser equivenlent to it but thats will have to wait until next season.. But thank you for all the offers. I love this thread.

Well we had an awesome day of flying 0mph wind out there and we found the Stryker in the corn today and good thing they started cropping this morning

Well it looks like Irene is coming straight for us they are predicting about 10" of rain and gusts to about 90mph in this part of NY, and thats just the part thats clipping us, I think the brunt is going to be mostly around NYC so we have battened down the hatches, we just started to getting the rain around 11:00pm and they say it ain't quitting until tomorrow around 5 or 6 pm. and were almost completed with the Kitchen remodeling job. good grief its taking forever with all these interuptions LOL

I got a call from my cuz up in Saratoga and they evacuated all the boats out of the lake, Mine is probably one of the only ones there right now LOL So They will call me tomorrow if the lake rises too quickly and I'll have to head out there in the hurrican and rescue it, oh yeah And I'm part of the Emergency response team from OGS so I Just might be heading to NYC anyway tomorrow with 18 wheel rolling with relief supplies or something. Its gonna be an exciting 24 hours or so I have a feeling. I just need it to be next saturday already LOL

Our house should be okay from any floods we kind of sit up in the hills a bit but we've never received 10" of water either, the last time these parts flooded by me 2 years ago everyone was flooded around us but we stayed dry so I'm hoping for the same result or a quick change in the weather. We usually lose power if the wind blows at 20 LOL So I may not be back on for a few days.

Anybody in the path I wish you good luck and my prayers are with you for a safe and damageless day.

Okay going to get my pontoons out and strap them on the Kadet LOL maybe I can get some good Hurricane aerial coverage tomorrow
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Aug 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,868 Posts
good luck you folks out east... I hope you don't get too much flooding etc.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I have not done one of these exports before. This is the Big Stik 40 from RF sim. I made it larger, put a DA-50 on it and made the ailerons, elevator, and rudder bigger.

You can 3D it now. What I think is interesting is you can fly really slow and practice maneuvers - almost like slow motion.

Anyway, give it a try if you like. It is not a perfect model but kind of fun.

I have some ballast in it so you can add to subtract from that if you want.
I downloaded it... I'll let you know what I think
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
HuckFest

Wow! That was one great weekend in Ohio! Many questions came from this event.
Was it worth the 3 hour drive? Times 2! Did I see people flying on the bleeding edge? Yes, and some crossed it.

Was there Balsa damaged in the making of this event? Oh Yeah, lots...

Did a Full scale Biplane show up over head and then buzz the run way several times? We all had flashbacks to the day that bipe hit that 3DHS plane during that RC event that stir such a mess.

Did Sleepy C miss place a plane out in the woods?

Did Brandon Chitty trim the leaves on the top of a VERY large tree and almost get the tail hung? Oh Yes!

Did a 103 inch Extra 330SC CRASH right on top of the Flying Giants banner across the runway and wipe it out? Did Joe Smith hover over what was left of it and blow parts all around? Yeah, that was a "salt in the wound" move.

Did an 11 year old win 4th in the King 50 and get another award that said "Bad Ass 3D"? Yes he did and that youngin deserved it!

Did I mention Wow?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Wow! That was one great weekend in Ohio! Many questions came from this event.
Was it worth the 3 hour drive? Times 2! Did I see people flying on the bleeding edge? Yes, and some crossed it.

Was there Balsa damaged in the making of this event? Oh Yeah, lots...

Did a Full scale Biplane show up over head and then buzz the run way several times? We all had flashbacks to the day that bipe hit that 3DHS plane during that RC event that stir such a mess.

Did Sleepy C miss place a plane out in the woods?

Did Brandon Chitty trim the leaves on the top of a VERY large tree and almost get the tail hung? Oh Yes!

Did a 103 inch Extra 330SC CRASH right on top of the Flying Giants banner across the runway and wipe it out? Did Joe Smith hover over what was left of it and blow parts all around? Yeah, that was a "salt in the wound" move.

Did an 11 year old win 4th in the King 50 and get another award that said "Bad Ass 3D"? Yes he did and that youngin deserved it!

Did I mention Wow?

I am going to this next year...sounds like it was unbelievable!

We had a great day of flying yesterday until the wind really picked up after 1pm. My kid is getting really good....he was hovering his EF extra 5 feet off the deck and doing rolling harriers, etc......amazing how good he is getting Of course I told him if he breaks the plane, he is %$@ outta luck and EF does not even carry it anymore, lolol.

Also did 5 flights on the slick and she is running perfect....starting to do more things with it and I am amazed by the plane. Been doing elevators and trying to transition into harriers....a work in progress

Hope everyone affected by the hurricane is doing ok!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I am going to this next year...sounds like it was unbelievable!
My right fore arm is killing me from holding the camera so much.

The new 200CC Slick proto type made an appearance at the event, that is a LOT of airplane.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Good luck Waldo, Daniel, and whoever else is out there.
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 28, 2011 at 07:47 AM.