HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:59 AM
Registered User
The Other Dave's Avatar
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Discussion
Reminder: Back up your data or else

My main photo/video processing drive died Saturday night it held 470ish Gigs of photos plus other assorted video.

Western Digital 1Tbyte Caviar Black drive (the newest drive in my setup).

Luckily I maintain a 2x backup.
1. A network backup to another machine in another room.
2. DVD backup every 6 months stored off site.

So backup your data......
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:15 AM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,706 Posts
Amen

Thank God for book drives and the like
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:26 AM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Don't forget to "back-up your back-up." Every few years or so.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/303864

Shelf life.
CDs and DVDs are not forever. Though we would like to think they are.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I'm using Carbonite. So far, it seems to be working very good. I need to have my computer guy check to make sure it's actually doing a full system backing including my CAD software and defaults. Everything else is working. For the price, having offsite backup is worth every penny. I have a external drive but I like the offsite concept.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I think I'm a long ways off yet to accepting an online backup solution, so for now, I make daily use of SyncBackSE to back up all of my most frequent working files at the end of each day, and I use GenieBackup-8 to do full backups of the entire computer at least monthly (but every six months would probably be plenty due to my daily backups).

Those of us who have been computer literate since the 80's aren't likely to have to be reminded of the importance of backups because we've been through the storm and learned our lessons early.

It's those who have been "lucky" enough to have not lost anything valuable in a file that have to be convinced how important it is.

As far as external drives go, they're probably fast enough, but I've gone to using SATA/3G drives as my backup medium, and I keep several 1T drives for rotation.
For about $20, you can add a 5.25" SATA dock to one of your open bays, buy internal SATA drives on sale for less than external drives, and be able to pop them in and out (hot-unpluggable) like a floppy as often as you like.
The great thing about that is that the now insertable/removeable drive runs right into a SATA/3G port on your MB so that it is fast as any of the other hard drives in your system (because that's exactly what it is).
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Alot of people depend on this things way to much!
What are you gonna do if something serious happens and you can't use computers.
I don't get totally dependent on them, I know better!
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
Alot of people depend on this things way to much!
What are you gonna do if something serious happens and you can't use computers.
I don't get totally dependent on them, I know better!
If I can't use computers I'll be dead since I don't have enough canned food to last me till the summer growing season and that's true for 95% of my neighbors and the nation as a whole.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:14 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
About 7 years ago, we had a lightning strike that took out my old computer and an external drive along with a TV and my pool timer. About 3 years ago, we had another one that took out just about everything around my pool and several timers in my workshop. At this point, for me, offsite backup is the only really safe option.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:17 AM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Set up one "off-grid" system with a wireless only network connection.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:20 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Set up one "off-grid" system with a wireless only network connection.
It still has to plug into the wall. In Florida, surge protectors are all but useless. Our first strike left us with an aluminum window frame setting our Florida room in fire. The surge goes through ground and fries everything.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
It still has to plug into the wall. In Florida, surge protectors are all but useless. Our first strike left us with an aluminum window frame setting our Florida room in fire. The surge goes through ground and fries everything.
No, it doesn't. That is why I mentioned "off-grid." Go strictly solar and batteries. A single computer does not use much power. And if you go strictly DC with a good laptop, you do not have conversion losses.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:23 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
No, it doesn't. That is why I mentioned "off-grid." Go strictly solar and batteries. A single computer does not use much power. And if you go strictly DC with a good laptop, you do not have conversion losses.
For 60 bucks a year, I'm going with Carbonite. I don't have time to fart around with solar and batteries and setting all that up and maintaining it myself.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:06 AM
Registered User
The Other Dave's Avatar
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
For 60 bucks a year, I'm going with Carbonite. I don't have time to fart around with solar and batteries and setting all that up and maintaining it myself.

Ok peaked my interest.

Got a sec for a few questions?

1. How much data are you backing up?

2. How long does it take?

3. I looked up Carbonite www.carbonite.com.
What is your experience with them.

I have thought about off site backup but my concern is always about how long it takes. It is not uncommon for me to generate 10-20 Gigs of new data per day.


Thanks,

Dave
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Dave View Post
Ok peaked my interest.

Got a sec for a few questions?

1. How much data are you backing up?

2. How long does it take?

3. I looked up Carbonite www.carbonite.com.
What is your experience with them.

I have thought about off site backup but my concern is always about how long it takes. It is not uncommon for me to generate 10-20 Gigs of new data per day.


Thanks,

Dave
From what I can tell it just runs all the time, in the background. I don't have to do anything. After my computer guy gets here and checks things out, I'll be able to provide more answers as I'm a computer DUMMY
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
Registered User
The Other Dave's Avatar
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
From what I can tell it just runs all the time, in the background. I don't have to do anything. After my computer guy gets here and checks things out, I'll be able to provide more answers as I'm a computer DUMMY
Hmmm I wonder if you can set it to backup on command.

My server is setup to not have access to the outside world....on purpose.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Scared to put them back up in the air - Need help with this problem KIDGLOVES00 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 24 Jan 24, 2010 08:57 PM
Question Shipping problems - Cant you claim your money back?? lightninjim Trader Talk 0 Jan 09, 2010 04:17 AM
For Sale Multiplex EVO data back-up cable Eyefly Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Jan 12, 2006 08:01 AM
Sudden Hard-drive failure, back up your stuff rcjetpilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Aug 11, 2005 04:46 PM
PC back up data. Smashed_Toad Radios 5 Mar 12, 2004 11:07 PM