HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Discussion
CC ICE controllers

I had ordered one of the Pheonix 100 amp ICE controllers from Tower a couple / few weeks back on one of those save $20 or whatever deals. The controller was back ordered at the time, it arrived Friday.

Overall I'm pretty impressed so far, no flying yet just some bench testing but it has lots of features. 5 amp switchmode BEC OK all the way to 8S, standard adjustments for lipo voltage cutoff, motor timing etc. Plus the neat new feature is data logging! Very easy to use using the Castle link. It'll display a whole bunch of parameters, the ones of particular interest are current, voltage and RPM. Not sure how accurate the current readings are, they were a few amps higher than my Medusa power anlyzer was showing. RPM's seemed spot on for the power though so maybe the controller is more accurate than the meter

At first I thought I had a problem. I had ordered an ARC 36-65-1 and 36-55-1.5 motor for a Schubi on 6S in one of those fly fly foamies. I screwed the smaller motor in the ran and ran it up. GOBS of power but it cut off before full throttle as the current went over 100 amps! I tried downloading the data and it locked up my computer, did it a couple times and still no joy. Then I cleared the log on the ESC and then it worked so if you get one of these do that FIRST. Who knows, there may be some initial formating involved. Anyway, once I got the logging working I did a quick run and looked at the data. Current was spiking over 100 amps very quickly so I backed off the 4S and it was still in the high 90's. Did some calcs on the Kv and they didn't make any sense at all unless I put 6 pole for the input and even then it wasn't quite right. Long story short, I had a 36-55-1Y rather than 1.5Y which has a Kv close to 3,000 rather than the 1,850 I thought I was working with. Not sure if I clicked wrong or if they sent the wrong motor.

I changed out the 55-1 for the 65-1 motor and reset the display to 4 pole which I thought was right from the beginning and now it all worked as it should. Something like 37,500 RPM @ about 1,850 watts. Not final data, the fan was just screwed to the bottom half of the fuselage and the packs were at some unkown state of charge.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
Thanks Chris, i'll be ordering one of the same for my Sapac L-39. looks like i'll be using stock fan and motor but might push to 5S if weigh can be tolerated. The wing is scale and small relatively speaking compared to My Savex L-39. But i must say Sapac has done a nice job on this aircraft. Yes the Ice -100 will see service and at 5S will be pushing some major power in 95 amp range. But i fly very conservatively. Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
A word of warning. The BEC on just 4S will brown out when using 7 HS65HB servos. This is the setup we had in the Sapac L39 with the stock fan. Our receiver reported low voltage after the controller got warm.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:08 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,297 Posts
drew is correct. I've seen this issue with other modelers at my field. some had full lock out 30 seconds into flights, since they fried the bec on maiden's.
many dont realize the total current draw from servos.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Interesting, any idea if the voltage output setting makes a difference? What voltage level does your Rx report as a fault? The default BEC output voltage is 5V but you can change it to 6 or 7.

7 hi torque micro servos is a pretty good load. I assume that's 2 ail, 1 elev., 1 rudder, 2 flap, 1 gear? Sure the flaps and gear servo's aren't semi stalled? I'd think you wouldn't do that but some of those airvalves are sticky etc.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
I have the ICE 100 in my Sapac L-39
HET 6904 - Nue 1112 1y - 4s 35c 4200 mah
I have about 12 flights useing the BEC with no issues
I run futaba Fasst which is not prone to brown outs like other systems

but because of this info I will hook up my meter to see what the servo draw is
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
A word of warning. The BEC on just 4S will brown out when using 7 HS65HB servos. This is the setup we had in the Sapac L39 with the stock fan. Our receiver reported low voltage after the controller got warm.
Ok, well i have an extra castle HV110. But it seems like overkill on a 70mm setup. But i'm not taking any chances. It seems like the bec equiped esc setups always have issues and out put is overated. The added weight will preclude the use of 5S so there goes my blistering speed i was after.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
The low voltage warning on our receiver triggers when the voltage drops below 4.4v. Our TattleTale device shows the voltage dropping below 4.0v (but staying about 3.5v).

My point is that BEC's really should be used.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
... for a Schubi on 6S in one of those fly fly foamies....
Which one ? Just make sure you use a separate receiver battery
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:22 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
I just bought my first ICE 100 to run on 6-7s with 2 Hitec digital servos and an AR6200 Rx.
Doesn't a certain voltage drop cause the Spektrum Rx's to reboot?
I Don't want to run a dedicated Rx battery, as this will require a regulator or a BEC (I use lipos for Rx packs). If I have to do that, I may as well just run a CC BEC.
No room for a CC110, (which will still need a BEC) as the jet is a 64mm reinforced and glassed foamy.

I'll be following along for more info. (I just left a message with Castle concerning this)

I expect (hope) this project to fly at 175+, so failures are not an option.
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
F-4 Herb, fixed gear for now but if it works out I'll probably slap a set of SA 602's in it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Off the logging output, except thrust of course! 6S 4,000 cells, 20.1 V @ 93.2 amps = 1,875 watts. 37,500 rpm and 6 pounds thrust (maybe a few higher) installed in the airframe. So, 2.7 - 2.8 kg thrust, how's that sound?

I had a very slight rub going on the needs to be addressed, not much - probably backing off a mounting screw slightly will remove it. If not I'll need to loosen the motor and shift it a few thousandths to the other side...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:14 PM
It took me 30 years?!?!!!
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Six Right View Post
I just bought my first ICE 100 to run on 6-7s with 2 Hitec digital servos and an AR6200 Rx.
I'd think with only two servos it would be okay....

Quote:
I'll be following along for more info. (I just left a message with Castle concerning this)
Very curious to see what they say about this.

Quote:
I expect (hope) this project to fly at 175+, so failures are not an option.
Got that right!
btsai is offline Find More Posts by btsai
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
My biggest concern, is the Rx rebooting due to a voltage drop. Not necessarily to below the required 3.5 v ...but just a significant drop)
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
440 Posts
Iím running an Ice 50 on 6s in an R/C Lander Hunter with 8 servos and have not had a problem.
I do have the nose and main retracts on different channels as to not overload the BEC with 3 retract servos at the same time. The only issue I seem to have is every now and then the recorded data is corrupted.

Dave
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT