Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:40 AM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby Customer F16, F18

Hello everone,

So here is the deal, I really like the BH site and finally decided to get some really cool EDF's. I also really enjoyed Pete's videos, seems like a really cool guy, and since Im in CA. I figured, cool dude, cool bird, easy shipping.

So, I ordered the F16 (GREY) from BH, http://www.bananahobby.com/1765.html RTF less RX/TX

After a week, I noticed I never received a notification on this order..

To look into this, I contacted BH via Online chat, only because 5 seperate calls for a total of 3 hours wait time never got me through.

After an additional wait of 45 minutes online, I was informed that the F16 in grey has been discontinued, next they asked if I would like the same plane another color option.

Wait, I purchased a product that is no longer available? I was not notified for 5 days? Not cool, but yes, my credit card had been hit for the purchase by BH.

Now Im trying to work this out with what I call a "less than helpfull person" online. I was constantly being coaxed toward a different color sceme. I was asking questions about other planes as an alterative when waiting for an answer to my questions, " the rep informed me that I had been refunded and immediatly ended the session. "Not a good experience"!

Same day I ordered the F16 RTF in GD less RX/TX and the new super scale F18 ARF. After not hearing anything for 5 business days, I contact BH on this order via online chat, it just so happened that when I was waiting for a rep, I was also notified the order had finally gone to UPS, except no ship date, tracking number, just a BH email notification. UPS had been notified but product was not in UPS hands. BS email notification to make me happy. two more days before UPS had product.

From time for order, to delivery was over 10 bussiness days. Look, Im ok with that, but what a pain. Im also no fool, shady? maybe? Im in Cali!

Look, Im new to the whole thing and recently joined RCGroups at the advise of experienced pilot friends in the hobby. I think some of the BH EDF's a really cool looking, but definetly "NOT FOR NOVICE RC PILOTS". I fly well and find these to be much less stable and much slower than my other EDF's (GWS F15 stock motors).

1. BH's website says "We will never purposely charge a customer for an item that we do not physically have in stock at the time of purchase" BH, you know the F16 in grey is discontinued and you charged me!

2. F16 is NOT a FAST EDF as advertised, 60ish tops! CG is definelty not clean for a RTF, a beginner would have killed this bird on the first flite. I searched and cant get any specs on this bird, next attemped will be email Pete directly as i cant bear to wait another minute online.

3. This Bait and switch also happened with an A10 purchase from BH.

4. The new F18 Airframe only kit is a really nice looking bird, I will write a review once I set it up, with all my own gear, will definetly change the 90mm stock fan as after reading many post, I want to make it last.

My Message to Pete

You seem like a really cool guy, I have read though a ton of stuff on this forum, sorry, cant say I disagee with any of the issues people are complaining about. Which now doesn't matter since you will not be in here anymore. Regardless, I still have a message for you.

I too also really enjoy this hobby, Im a disabled U.S Marine and cant say I have ever wasted my time doing posting issues. However, after speaking to your reps, Im reminded about one important fact, I am also a consumer.

I too have a company Pete, a tech company, but I still have to address customer needs everday. Advise from me to you, listen to your customers and fix your company. Then you wont have to deal with, nor read the negative feedback people are posting on this forum. And most important, I wont have to read how your tired of hearing it.

Folks can defend your company, Personally, your reps treated me with disregard and had no interest is resolving my issues or working with me so I left being a satisfied customer.
JRCoca is offline Find More Posts by JRCoca
Last edited by JRCoca; Jan 19, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:40 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
Someone help this guy out. I answered your Cof G question, suggesting that as there are so many evolutions of these foamies your best bet is to post a few pictures of the electronics and EDF so possibly someone else on here who has these particular birds can identify them and get you on the right track.

Thats a shame about the A-10? which one was it, the GWS was nowhere near as good as the later versions they are now selling.

Anyone else have some advice to help this gentleman out, I do not have either of these Aircraft, I have the ArtTec 64mm EDF F-18 Blue Angels and the Tian Sheng F-15 Eagle Series Shuttler 70mm EDF. These also had poor (but sufficient to fly well) power until I cleaned up the intakes and outlets and ballanced up the Fans. Just as a note, these also came with no C of G details, very few Foamy EDF's do regardles of origin of purchase.

I love Petes flying videos as well, they are very cool.

Anyway chuck up some pics and I'm sure this community will assist you in getting those bad boys flying hard.

Kindest regards.. Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:10 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The F-16 you purchased is manufactured by FMS and is sold through many other vendors including Hobby Lobby. Here is the thread to the model:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895716

Your 90mm F-18 is manufactured by Starmax, the thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936603

You should be able to get all the info you need at those two threads to assist you in properly setting up your models.

Edit: I fixed the F-16 link.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Jan 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Mark, DT thanks for the reply, I will scan through the links,

Will post some pics in ASAP, rain here for the next 5 days has everything grounded, so good time to repair and airbrush

My GWS F-15 is the second air frame I have built, forum with early adopters was a great help. Second one was purchase not long ago through Horizon, GREAT experience and support. Planes instructions come with specs and C of G details and instuctions. I was completly supprised how stable this bird this is. Lots of work to assemble, but great stability and performance. Looks really cool flying by at high speed too.

GWS F-15
Stock BL2028 4600kv motors,
4S / 14.8 / 2200MAH / 20C
Twin E-fite Pro 25amp ESC's
5 E-Flite S75 Servos

A10 is the RTF New Large Scale Special Edition! 7 CH 2.4GHz BlitzRCWorks Desert Camo Ultimate A-10 Thunderbold II Super Warthog SE Edition Aerobatic Twin 64mm EDF + Extreme Flight Performance!!!

Ok, really nice looking bird, this one is my brothers, we have had nothing but issues with the left landing gear failing to lock, as well as serious CofG issues which caused this one to roll over and kiss ground on first flight. Still trying to get the CofG worked out. Did I say, I think this is a AMAZING LOOKING A10. cant wait to see it finally fly clean......... BTW / BH was no help with the landing gear.

Thanks for the info guys, detailed PICs comn soon, and yes, that is the new Habu parked in the middle,
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
DoubleTap,

I appreciate the info, wrong thread on the F16.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
JRCoca I had the exact thing happen to me but they just told me the grey was out of stock. When I received my "Thunderbird" scheme, I found the Plane was Broke in 3 places. So tech support told me to send pics and they would decide what to do with it. YEAH RIGHT!!! I fixed it and regreated it, Now found out the Battery was bad out of the box!!!!!
Rayzors Edge is offline Find More Posts by Rayzors Edge
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Rayzor

Sound right in line with me, I airbrushed my GD version grey, its in the pic above, CG is really off and its not fast, what are you going to do?

Also, read info regarding front landing gear modification, any less than soft landing will bend the rod backward. Dont have a link, just do a search in the forum

Sorry
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
Pic looks good, nice fleet there

JR, what do you think of the big A10, most seem to be having a lot of success with this one, although there is still a fair amount of flex in the wings?

Glad DT could help with the links.

Cheers... Mark
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
KC

I really like this A10, want another, as mentioned, landing gear locks are an issue, I know Pete mentions this in his video, but we have not been able to get the on side to stay locked.

Wings do flex but this particualr plane when level flys well, as mentioned, CG is off causing it error in slight control changes. Im a huge fan of the detail and looks of the plane though...... When it stops raining we should have this one up in the air again hopefully flying correctly....
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
Yeah, most of the vids I have seen it looks great in the air, nothing quite like the presence of a warthog doing a low sweeping pass.

Sounds like you are having a ball with them anyway. Always good to hear.

Cheers.. Mark
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:12 PM
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Feb 2009
126 Posts
JRCoca,

Look at post #80 in this thread. DO NOT use the factory COG of 78mm, it is wrong. Using the factory number will make you add weight to the front end and end up crashing or having to use full elevators to keep from nose diving. Use 90-95mm, unless you made major modifications to this plane, you should not have to add weight or remove weight. It should be OK from the factory. By the way, read the entire thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79..._1/key_/tm.htm
Steam28 is offline Find More Posts by Steam28
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:24 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Steam

Thanks, I will read through it,

Just an FYI, my bird is tending to nose up almost vertical with slight elev up. Perhaps its over comp for nosing down when I back off the power. This is especially true during approach, it almost looks like a Cobra move.... It noses down so I add a little power and elev, and WOW vertical. makes it a little tough to land it without driving it down onto the runway hot...... My Elev DR is turned down to 50% just avoid to over ELEV it on my end. I assume this is CG?

I may be getting off topic here, so I will continue this in the other forum

thanks to all of you for the help
Last edited by JRCoca; Jan 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:25 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
Nah not off topic at all, It's all good info.

Cheers.. Mark
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCoca View Post
DoubleTap,

I appreciate the info, wrong thread on the F16.
Oh sorry about that; thanks for the catch! Here is the correct thread for the FMS F-16:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895716
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
WarDog
Nor Cal
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Thanks DoubleTap, the link was a big help, my CG is at 94 with stock 4S Lipo, waiting for my 5S as this should put me right where I want to be.

As promised, here are some pics