SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:35 PM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Question
Hitec Aurora 9 Transmitter & FPV Head Tracking

I've been reading a lot of good things about the new Aurora 9 transmitter.

Question. Does anyone know definitively if this Aurora 9 can be used for FPV head tracking? That is, can I attach a head tracking unit into the trainer port and have its two channels mapped to any two outputs on the receiver? Typically, these two signals are then sent to the pan and tilt servos.

Futaba seems to reign supreme in this programmability aspect. I've only heard the higher-end Futabas being used in FPV head tracking. Yet, it doesn't seem to be that complex a feature -- just a software routing feature? Is there no other transmitter I can even consider other than these high priced Futaba units?
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Aurora 9 pin-out of the trainer connector and FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEREE View Post
I've been reading a lot of good things about the new Aurora 9 transmitter. Question. Does anyone know definitively if this Aurora 9 can be used for FPV head tracking? That is, can I attach a head tracking unit into the trainer port and have its two channels mapped to any two outputs on the receiver? Typically, these two signals are then sent to the pan and tilt servos. Futaba seems to reign supreme in this programmability aspect. I've only heard the higher-end Futabas being used in FPV head tracking. Yet, it doesn't seem to be that complex a feature -- just a software routing feature? Is there no other transmitter I can even consider other than these high priced Futaba units?
Hitech Aurora 9 pin-out of the trainer connector and the module plug in connector? thread on manufacturers forum may assist..

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated]

Possibly some information under sub section "Photography by RC, FPV, Spraying by RC and Wireless Video RC." at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links may also assist.

Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,513 Posts
Unfortunately, NO
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...v#post14046303

Could be the radio with the greatest range I know so far, more than 4km, but this feature lack limits it severe for FPV usage...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:24 AM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Unfortunately, NO
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...v#post14046303

Could be the radio with the greatest range I know so far, more than 4km, but this feature lack limits it severe for FPV usage...
Such a shame the Aurora 9 being so new and sophisticated can't do head tracking. Well the Aurora 9 is off the list as a candidate for upgrade from my current Spektrum radio. Now I have to spend a large wad of money on a Futaba radio to do head tracking. Ah well, I guess I gotta make more money.
Last edited by WEREE; Jan 18, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:15 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,513 Posts
If you accept my advice, the best bang for the bucks in this moment is a second hand T9C ($150-$200) with the Hitec 2.4 GHz system fitted inside ($200 for Tx module and two 9ch Rx)
At least this is my actual setup, and no ideea for an even distant future upgrade.
Also, I would avoid touch screens of any brand
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:16 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
If you accept my advice, the best bang for the bucks in this moment is a second hand T9C ($150-$200) with the Hitec 2.4 GHz system fitted inside ($200 for Tx module and two 9ch Rx)
At least this is my actual setup, and no ideea for an even distant future upgrade.
Also, I would avoid touch screens of any brand
Good tip. The 9C was just after the Aurora 9 on my list. Do you use the Hitec 2.4GHz system because the Hitec receivers are cheaper, longer range? I'm not familiar with Hitec radio stuff.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:26 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,513 Posts
Ah, not at all, bought one set only to evaluate it. Not sure if to keep it or not.
Was a long time Hitec fan, in my local community I am the Hitec guru, but probably will make a step back.
For FPV I use 35MHz RC exclusively, and, if any switch, probably will be toward to a 433/868MHz system. FM RC and GHz video is the winner combination for FPV.