HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Phoenix Pro R/C Simulator 2.5 Review

Whether it be EDFs, gliders, helicopters, float planes, trainers, or just plain old armchair flying you enjoy, the Phoenix R/C flight simulator has got it for you!

Splash

Introduction

System Requirements
Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7
1.0 Ghz Pentium 3/4 or AMD Athlon/64 compatible processor
256MB RAM
1.5 GB Hard Drive Space
ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
DirectX 9.0 (or higher)
DVD Drive
Multiplayer Requirements
Internet connection
Manufacturer: Phoenix
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $174.99

It's of no question that simulators offer both veteran pilots and those who are completely new to the sport an awesome platform to hone their flying skills, and it's amazing just how far they have come in the last few years. The latest offering from Horizon Hobby is a great example of just that. Whether it be EDFs, gliders, helicopters, float planes, trainers, or just plain old armchair flying you enjoy, The Phoenix R/C Flight Simulator has got it for you. Featuring over 100 planes and helicopters from manufacturers like E-Flite, Hangar 9 and Parkzone, multiplayer capabilities, a fully functional 5 channel Spektrum DX5e transmitter and helicopter training, there's lots to cover. Lets get started!

Box Contents

Inside the box you'll find the DVD which contains the actual software portion of the simulator (and the simulatorís manual), a USB cable which connects to the transmitter, an RCA-style plug which is your DX5e adapter and the actual DX5e transmitter. Everything was nicely packaged inside a large chunk of foam, which I found serves as a nice storage place for the DX5e when the simulator is not in use.

Simulator Features / Requirements

There are so many aspects to this simulator, it's hard to cover them all! Some of my favorites include the fully functioning transmitter (which frequently goes to the park with me), free software upgrades and ease of fine tuning both model and flying conditions to best suit any particular type of flying. Here's a more complete list that I compiled from the Horizon website:

• Fully functional 5 channel 2.4ghz DX5e transmitter
  • Free download of new models and flying sites
  • Over 100 flyable models (Align, Hangar 9, E-Flite, JR, Blade, etc)
  • World class physics and 3d engine (autorotations, crashes, smoke systems, lighting, water, etc)
  • Internet flying (up to 4 people on split screen action)
  • Night flying
  • Water simulation for float flying
  • Training and competition modes (Hover, prop-hang, streamer combat, etc.)
  • Easily editable model and environmental parameters (thrust, thrust angle, wind direction, wind speed, etc.)
  • 17 panoramic flying sites

The Phoenix website lists the following as the minimum system requirements for use of their software:

• Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (all editions)
  • 1.0 Ghz Pentium 3/4 or AMD Athlon/64 compatible processor
  • 256MB system memory (RAM)
  • 1.5 GB free, uncompressed hard-disk space*
  • ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
  • Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or higher*
  • DVD-ROM Drive for installation
  • 1 free USB 1.1/2.0 port
  • 100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card (optional)

DX5e close-up

The Phoenix simulator comes with a fully functioning Spektrum DX5e. For those who purchase this package who have no previous R/C experience or equipment are still two steps ahead of most of us who began in the hobby some number of years ago. Not only do you have an environment in which you can learn the basic orientation skills without spending hundreds of dollars in replacement parts at the hobby shop, you'll also have yourself a great full range 2.4ghz transmitter to use when you decide to purchase your first plane. The DX5e is powered by AA batteries, has a nice feel in the hand, features full range and glitch-free 2.4ghz technology and the ever so important trainer switch, which I'm certain many a new pilot will utilize.

Product Bulletin (New DX5e adapter)

<font face='arial,helvetica' size=-2>Old</font>
Old

<font face='arial,helvetica' size=-2>New</font>
New

Installation / Calibration

Installing the Phoenix simulator is relatively straightforward. I simply dropped the DVD in place and followed the on-screen prompts in order to get the software installed correctly. My attempt to install DirectX resulted an a abnormal termination when I selected "Yes". The simulator was unable to locate the DirectX installer executable that was intended to be on the disk. I promptly upgraded my computer via Windows Update and grabbed the most recent version of DirectX 9. After a reboot, I got no error message but a prompt asking me in what language the simulator was to be run. I selected English (as my high school French fails me nowadays), and began the calibration procedure.

I was prompted by a series of screens to hook up one end of the provided USB connector to my computer and the other end to my DX5e transmitter via the provided DX5e adapter (RCA looking plug). Several tones sounded from the TX, and the transmitterís power level light illuminated. This, as well as the visual prompting, will let me know the simulator was communicating with the simulator.

Calibrating means simply telling the computer where the center point and all the extents of the control limits are. A series of on-screen dialog boxes guide you this process, and it takes about 30 seconds. First I centered all control sticks, then the computer asked me to move the sticks all the way around. Once completed, I selected my transmitter from a large list of profiles.

If itís connected to the internet, the simulator checks to ensure you have the latest and greatest version of the software and all the planes which are currently available. If, like me, you donít, you can update and also be able to select any additional models.

Flying

Phoenix currently offers about 115 models including models from Hangar 9, Parkzone, E-Flite, Align, JR and Blade just to name a few. Many models you're certain to be familiar with are included in the sim such as the Deuces Wild, Parkzone Corsair, much of the Align T-rex series, and many of the Hangar 9 warbirds. Also worth noting is that new models are free, and they come out frequently. No expansion pack purchases are needed to get that new plane you saw at the hobby shop, or at a buddyís house! Horizon seems to be working hard to ensure that many of the models they offer for sale are also available to us for use within the simulator. I enjoy practicing with the planes that I take to the field on the simulator as well as I enjoy seeing how a potential purchase might behave.

The overall look and physics of the Phoenix simulator are superb. Two planes which stand out for me with regards to the Phoenixís ability to capture the characteristics of the models it simulates are the Easy Star and the Sopwith Camel. I've flown both of these planes in real life, and it's uncanny how real they look and feel. The Easy Star floats along effortlessly and is just a joy to fly while the Camel, on the other hand, requires a bit of finesse on the sticks. But when done right, it just looks oh so good. From the faint smoke contrail to the subtle reflections of sunlight off the wings, Phoenix packs it all in... so much so you don't even pick up on it all af first.

I do all of my simulated flying on my middle-of-the-pack Hewlett Packard Pavillion, which sports an AMD 64bit 2.2ghz Quad Core processor and 6GB of ram. The biggest drawback to my machine is the graphics card. Itís the built-in variety, and instead of having an independent chunk of memory on board, it shares it with the main system memory. Compared to a hardcore gaming machine,or even a machine which runs an independent video card my machine is at a significant disadvantage. But even so, I've been very impressed with the overall performance I've got with Phoenix.

I normally fly in the 1280x1024 mode with the graphics slider set to the middle. Depending upon the flying site and model selected, I see anywhere from 28fps to 55fps (frame rates while just sky is visible and there is less to render are normally much higher). At full tilt, the simulator can really kick out some intense visuals. But if you're like me and don't have the latest gaming hardware on the market, don't let that turn you away, Phoenix is still VERY capable of pumping out some smile inducing action that looks pretty darn good!

Aircraft

As with most of us, I am by nature very enthusiastic when it comes to powered flight. Whether it be a powered glider, a Cessna 152, a commercial airliner, or a modern day jet, I absolutely love it. This also carries over to my R/C tastes, in which a visit to my hangar will prove I own quite a diverse range of R/C planes. That's one area where Phoenix hasn't let me down. As soon as I find myself growing bored of one type of flying I can simply change aircraft or flying sites to change things up. And let's just say that with all the planes available, itís not hard to find something that suits your needs.

Here's a quick list of aircraft available in the simulator. This list changes sometimes daily, so check the Phoenix site for a complete list:

Electric Internal Combustion Scale Trainer

• B-17
  • Acromaster
  • Fieseler Storch
  • Flying Wing
  • Katana Mini
  • Sukhoi-22
  • Yak 30 Nightfly
  • Yak 30
  • Yak 55
  • Easystar
  • F117 Flying Wing
  • Lil'Banchee
  • Mini Ultimate
  • Enticement
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • Mini Yak
  • Reflex
  • Zivko Edge
  • Polikarpov I-15
  • Parkzone Corsair
  • E-flite 4-Site
  • Ilyushin IL-2
  • Typhoon EDF
  • Typhoon EDF handlaunched
  • Eflite Deuces Wild

• GTX
  • ZN Alliance
  • Bearcat
  • Cap-232
  • Extra
  • Funtana 90
  • Max-3D
  • Max-3D Nightfly
  • Pitts Special
  • Shuriken
  • Sukhoi 26 MX
  • Ultimate biplane
  • Yak 54
  • Integral
  • Adrenaline
  • Capiche 140
  • Hangar9 Toledo Special

• P-51 Mustang
  • DeHavilland Beaver
  • Beech-58
  • Corsair
  • Hawk Trainer
  • Spitfire
  • Tiger Moth
  • J3 Piper Cub
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon (turbine)
  • Cessna 182
  • Sopwith Camel
  • Hangar9 RV8

• High-wing Trainer
  • Low-wing Trainer
  • Tutor 40
  • Wot 4 Classic
  • Gambler .40

Watercraft Glider / Slope Other

• BO105 Artic (heli)
  • Beaver Float-plane
  • Beriev BE-103
  • Grumman Goose
  • J3 Piper Cub Floatplane
  • Lake LA-4
  • Sea-Ranger
  • Sea-Squirrel
  • Seaking (heli)

• Aerobatic Slope Soarer
  • Slope Soaring Glider
  • Thermal Soarer
  • Advanced Thermal Glider
  • Super Dimona
  • Powered Glider

• Shift-Rotor
  • Cierva
  • BA-609

Helis

What can I say about the helicopters but WOW! I've got a little bit of stick time with an Align TREX 450se in real life, so I feel safe in saying that the physics behind this model are very accurate. One thing that Phoenix has taught me is how much I enjoy flying scale helicopters, something I've yet to do in real life. Anything you can think of, and probably more, is possible in Phoenix including auto-rotations, inverted flight, and all those other crazy looking 3D maneuvers you're looking to master. Much of my time with the helis in the sim was simply spent practicing nose-in hovering and developing more axial loops and rolls. I can't wait to get my TREX back into the air to see if the time spent will pay off!

While the DX5e has proven to be an excellent candidate for the fixed wing portion of the review, I find myself sometimes wanting my DX7 for its extra flight mode. Other than that, the DX5e has worked extremely well for the heli side of the sim.

Night flying helis in the simulator has become one of my favorite activities, and my 8-year-old old daughter is becoming quite good at it too, even spending time away from the Wii to come play/watch dad. I t is quite impressive, and sometimes have to remind myself to focus on the flying not the pretty night display. I've only done a couple of real life night flights and have found it's quite the same way.

Performance Electric Training Scale

• Jetcopter
  • Sceadu 50
  • Knight 3D
  • Knight 50
  • Raptor 30 Sport
  • Raptor 50 3D
  • Raptor 50 Sport
  • Sapphire-90
  • Synergy N9
  • TRex 700
  • TRex 600 Nitro
  • TRex 600 Nitro Night-fly
  • JR Vibe 90 3D
  • JR Vibe 50
  • Avant Aurora Ultimate .90
  • JR Vibe 90 SG

• Blade CX-2
  • Mini Titan E-325
  • Apache
  • Spark
  • Swift
  • Swiss Lama
  • Tiger
  • TRex 450 SE
  • TRex 600
  • Honeybee King 2
  • Blade 400
  • TRex 500
  • Mikado Logo 500
  • Align T-Rex 250
  • Rave 450
  • Outrage G5
  • Outrage 550
  • Protos 500
  • Beam E4
  • ESky Belt CP (v2)
  • CH-47 Chinook Coaxial
  • T-Rex 450 PRO
  • E-flite Blade mSR
  • JR Vibe 500e
  • E-flite Blade MCX

• Easy-fly 50
  • Spark

• BO 105
  • EC135
  • Augusta 109
  • Dauphin
  • Ecuriel
  • Gazelle
  • Hughes 300
  • Hughes 500
  • Jetranger
  • Robinson R-22
  • Bell 222
  • Airwolf
  • Apache (turbine)
  • Apache (IC)
  • Huey UH-1H "Iroqouis"
  • CH-47 Chinook

Training

In my opinion, some of the most valuable things simulators have to offer are the training tools they include. Phoenix splits its training tools right down the middle between helis and airplanes providing hover and autorotation training for helis, and both landing and torque training for aircraft. I'm really impressed with the way the designers of Phoenix have built in sort of a graduate program to their training scenarios. For instance, the hovering training for helicopters allows you to step up the amount of controls that are active at any given time until you eventually graduate into having a full fledged helicopter. As a matter of fact, all the training in Phoenix revolves around that one step at a time school of thought. This allows one not to be overwhelmed and focus on a few things at a time to build a muscle memory for each level of proficiency.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Hover training</font>
Hover training

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Auto-rotation training</font>
Auto-rotation training

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Torque training</font>
Torque training

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Landing training</font>
Landing training

As well as having quite a few training videos available to help visualize each of the techniques, there are 4 unique training modes:

• Hover training (heli)
  • Autorotation (heli)

• Torque (air)
  • Landing (air)

Some of the other things I consider great aids are the variometer (used for help finding lift in unpowered flight) and transmitter overlays. The transmitter overlay can assist the pilot in recognizing that he may be doing undesired things with the sticks and can also be a great tool to demonstrate maneuvers for friends during replays, etc. The variometer is indispensable for gliders. It's used to help locate areas where thermals are present. Training is available from the Training' menu, and the visual aids are available from within the View drop down.

<font face=aria,helvetica size=-2>On screen stats</font>
On screen stats

<font face=aria,helvetica size=-2>Transmitter display</font>
Transmitter display

<font face=aria,helvetica size=-2>Variometer</font>
Variometer

Competition

One of the cool things that has kept me awake late and made me late for a few meetings as well is the competition feature. This allows one to fly bomb drops, balloon pop runs, streamer cutting, precision landing and autorotation events. Each of the events has its own goal, a timer and a difficulty level which can be adjusted. I absolutely love the balloon pop and spot landing competitions, and I am always trying to better my score.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Balloon Pop</font>
Balloon Pop

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Spot landing</font>
Spot landing

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Thermal competition</font>
Thermal competition

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Precision auto-rotation</font>
Precision auto-rotation

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Streamer cutting</font>
Streamer cutting

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Bomb Drop</font>
Bomb Drop

Here is a list of the competition events which are available by selecting the Competition menu from within the simulator:

• Bomb drop
  • Balloon pop
  • Streamer cutting

• Thermal gliding
  • Precise Autorotation
  • Spot Landing

Multiplayer

Multiplayer server location is built into Phoenix, and there is no need to sign up for an external program like Gamespy. Most of the servers to which Iíve connected have a voice server enabled, which is very nice since it could prove to be difficult trying to type into a chat box while flying. Finding a server is not all that hard: Just highlight the one you want to join, and select Join Server. Even in the wee hours of the morning, I can usually find somebody to join up with and have a little virtual flying field fun. Most everyone I've met online is very pleasant and more than willing to help. Most of the fields I've visited online are populated by heli pilots, and some are quite good! Nobody has complained one bit about me breaking out the old cub and putting it around the field. Some of the most fun I've had with the simulator comes from the multiplayer option.

Flying fields

With 17 different flying sites, and more being added to the download portion of their site (don't worry unless you changed it, the software will tell you when new stuff is available), it's pretty safe to say you can find a site in which mimics your real life flying field. Everything from wide open grass fields, slope soaring sites, small R/C clubs, and real airports are represented in awesome detail.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Selecting a field</font>
Selecting a field

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Winter flying</font>
Winter flying

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>City streets</font>
City streets

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Float flying</font>
Float flying

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>B-17 in Moscow</font>
B-17 in Moscow

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Airwolf at Stonehenge</font>
Airwolf at Stonehenge

Not only are the scenarios modeled in great detail, the environment is truly dynamic. Winds can be blustery, and planes can smash into tress which line the edge of the runway. Here is a list of flying sites available within Phoenix:

• Airfield
  • Artic Tundra
  • Boat Club
  • Copenhagen Quay
  • Countryside Hill
  • Desert mesa
  • Farmland
  • Flying field
  • Freedom Park
  • Kambah Field
  • Lagos Rocks
  • Lakeside

• Montebello Castle
  • Monte Farno
  • Moscow R/C club
  • Night flying
  • Aero-club Oldesole
  • Playing field
  • Sandbar
  • Sand flats
  • Seaside
  • Sports hall
  • Stockholm Bridge
  • Stonehenge

Adjustability and upgradeability

Adjustability

You can also alter just about every imaginable aspect of the models and the flying environment. Want to go faster? No problem. Increase the motorís output via the modelís Edit menu. Want more dihedral in those wings? More of a crosswind? Got that covered too! You'll be hard pressed to find a setting that isn't adjustable within the simulator. To change your modelís settings, simply select Edit from the Model drop down menu at the top of your screen.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Heli setup</font>
Heli setup

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Setting up the Deuces Wild for my liking</font>
Setting up the Deuces Wild for my liking

Another option in which the user has has complete control is the system malfunctions. This feature gives the pilot the ability to fail major components (engine, elevator, ailerons, etc) from the beginning of a flight, after a certain amount of time or after a random amount of time passes. Think you're good? Try landing in a crosswind with no rudder OR engine!

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Setting yourself up for failure</font>
Setting yourself up for failure

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Adjusting weather conditions</font>
Adjusting weather conditions

Software Upgradability

As mentioned before, all the planes and helis available for the simulator are available free of charge via the built in model management software, a feature I really enjoy. Click the Check for Updates tab on the System menu from within the simulator, and your computer will let you know if anything new is available. Both a software update as well as about 15 new models, and one new flying site were available the first time I ran the sim. I selected them all for download and started the install. While it was downloading and installing the new packages I was still able to play the game! No down time for free updates, gotta love that!

Transmitter Upgradability

One of the more frustrating things for me as an R/C pilot is that I already have my own transmitter and don't really want to use something that doesn't emulate it, even when flying on the computer. The thought of reaching for the flaps and grabbing the gear is a bit alarming. Building a muscle memory is one of the great advantages of using a simulator, and why not extend that to the use of your transmitter? Getting to know oneís transmitter is of great importance and sometimes can be the difference between flying or having to return home to look through the manual. And should you be completely new to R/C and be looking for a simulator AND a transmitter, what better way to start your training than with the DX5e that comes bundled with Phoenix? The DX5e offers a great starting point for someone new to the hobby, with all the benefits of 2.4ghz technology.

Here is a list of transmitters compatible with the Phoenix simulator:

• All JR MC/MX (no adaptor required) - ** MC-series requires "DSC Interface" Accessory **
  • Spektrum DX6 / DX6i / DX7 / DSX9 (no adaptor required) - ** NOT new DX7 Special Edition "SE" version **
  • Spektrum DX5e older-style with SIDE training port ("DX5e adaptor" required)
  • Spektrum DX5e new-style with REAR training port (no adaptor required)
  • All Futaba ("Futaba/Hitec round" or "Futaba square" adaptor required)
  • Futaba FX-18 with 2.5mm stereo training port ("Futaba FX-18" adaptor required)
  • Hitec Aurora (no adaptor required)
  • All Hitec except "Aurora" ("Futaba/Hitec adaptor" required - "Aurora" requires no adaptor)
  • All Multiplex ("Multiplex" adaptor required)
  • All Sanwa RD and RDS series ("Sanwa adaptor" required)
  • E-sky ("Mini-DIN adaptor" required)
  • Co-Pilot ("Mini-DIN adaptor" required)
  • Blade CX, CX-2, CX-3, CP, CP+, CP Pro, CP Pro 2 (no adaptor required)
  • Parkzone Transmitters with training jack ("DX5e adaptor" required)
  • Art-tech 100B (no adaptor required)
  • Art-tech 100C ("Art-tech 100C adaptor" required)
  • Walkera 2401, 2601 (Using "MINI-DIN adaptor" supplied with transmitter)
  • Walkera 2801 ("Walkera 2801 adaptor" required)

Flight recordings:

Being able to record and replay your flights serves as both a great training tool as well as something that helps you really see your progression. It's nice to be able to share replays with your friends or others from around the globe, and watch and learn as they perform maneuvers. The Replay mode is not just for watching either. I can make for some really cool training sessions and mock aerial performances as you try and keep up with yourself or others from previous sessions.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Record yourself.</font>
Record yourself.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Fly with your previous recordings.</font>
Fly with your previous recordings.

<font face=arial,helvetica size=-2>Or sit back and watch them</font>
Or sit back and watch them

Media

Downloads

Phoenix in action  33.35 MB

Conclusion

Horizon has put together quite a package for both those looking to get into the hobby and the seasoned pilot. With a huge selection of both airplanes and helicopters from a variety of manufacturers that are extremely well modeled both visually and physically. I think you'll find yourself parked in front of your monitor for many hours perfecting those rolling harriers, tic-tocs or maybe even a little chaos. And even if you aren't looking to perfect a specific maneuver, Phoenix has plenty to offer in the way of multiplayer fun, competition-based events and general good fun that will certainly help you develop better stick skills in real life. With the ever expanding line of models in the simulator, which are free of charge and based closely around the Horizon Hobby lineup, there is plenty to like about what Phoenix has to offer.

Likes Dislikes

• Great performance on machine of mediocre quality
  • Looks great!
  • Huge range of flyable models
  • Competition modes
  • Included DX5e transmitter

• Can't create own models

Last edited by gp125racer; Mar 07, 2010 at 09:43 PM..

Discussion

Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Nice overview of Phoenix. Actually one of the features I find even more useful for training than the special hover or torque training modes, is just the ability to slow down the whole simulation. If I slow down the simulation to 10% of real time, then even complex maneuvers like rolling circles become fairly easy, as long as I understand mentally how it's supposed to work. Then I can gradually increase the simulation speed back to 100% as I learn how to do the maneuver.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:48 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Nice review!

Yet I have two more dislikes:

- Model sounds
- Photofields quality and ambient light.

Cheers!
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:31 AM
Joined Jan 2005
551 Posts
Nice review. You might want to mention that you can download a demo of the simulator here. You can not control any aircraft but you can check the compatibility and performance of the simulator on your own computer.
nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:52 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Nice review!

Yet I have two more dislikes:

- Model sounds
- Photofields quality and ambient light.

Cheers!
Great review, and I have to agree with these two dislikes.

Helicopter physics is amazing and much improved over the earlier versions. It really does help flying in real life for me.
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:28 AM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
Great review and I have to agree with everything you said! I love my Sim! The multilayer option has to be one of the best features.

Just wanted to point out that one of the pictures that you annotated "Transmitter display" in the Training section of the review, doesn't appear to show the transmitter display; perhaps this is a mistake?

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:06 PM
Bill Scott
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2002
601 Posts
I'd be interested in where some of the scenes come from, as I don't recognise them from my Phoenix sim!

One of my pet hates is promises re gliders that have so far failed to materialise. The models available bear little resemblance to the "average" sloper
billscottuk is offline Find More Posts by billscottuk
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:12 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
352 Posts
GP125Racer did a great job of reviewing the sim. I'll have to read the whole review carefully as there are features he reports that I haven't discovered yet. I'm running Phoenix (my Christmas present) on my wife's 2 year-old laptop running XP. The graphics and speed are just fine. I'd like to see a hand launch glider and e-mailed Phoenix and they told me what to do to get one in there. Good review and good product!

RichardS
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:47 AM
Bill Scott
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2002
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF226 View Post
I'd like to see a hand launch glider and e-mailed Phoenix and they told me what to do to get one in there. Good review and good product!
This was their response when I asked about gliders too! Surely it's not beyond their capabilities to do this themselves. I bought this sim because they were promising more glider features. They haven't delivered nearly 18 months later. Sim IS excellent, but I want more realistic gliders
billscottuk is offline Find More Posts by billscottuk
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:29 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Great Review. I was wondering if the Phoenix has the "in cockpit view (FPV)" like Great Planes simulator. I was going to download the demo to find out but 2 hours to download.....

This would be great if it does.
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:12 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,213 Posts
I was looking for this last night (didn't look too hard, though) and couldn't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9 View Post
Great Review. I was wondering if the Phoenix has the "in cockpit view (FPV)" like Great Planes simulator. I was going to download the demo to find out but 2 hours to download.....

This would be great if it does.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
All sceneries in Phoenix are photo sceneries, which means it can only support the point of view of the person taking the photos, i.e. a pilot standing in one place on the ground. Phoenix does not have in-the-cockpit POV, or following the plane POV, or any of the other points of view that simulators with rendered sceneries can support.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:09 AM
i say, Yippee
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
446 Posts
is there a mac version available? Or are we still needing to boot up in windows.
machine is offline Find More Posts by machine
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
It only runs in Windows. It works fine on Intel Macs running Windows under Bootcamp or Parallels.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:44 PM
SKELETON RULES!!! (sport)
Vancouver,BC,Canada
Joined Jun 2009
195 Posts
its a nice sim i own it but saving up for realflight g5 because phoenix has no fpv flying
finnrambo is offline Find More Posts by finnrambo