HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,714 Posts
Discussion
Scientific Model Airplane Co. Commodore

Hi all, have spread out the old John Ponds supplied plans for the old Scientific Model Airplane Company's Ben Shereshaw design of the Commodore. WOW! An intriguing build to say the least. Good thing I have a drafting/design background and a "few" plan builds under my belt. I also have the Feb.1981 Model Aviation article for the updated Commodore version but prefer the more interesting challenge of the original Scientific plan. This will be my selected model for the big "International Build Thang" presented elsewhere in this forum, commencing 2/1/2010.

I'd like to power this model with an OS 524S swinging a big prop. Anyone have any build comments/suggestions/pics and what-nots? Googled this aircraft but didn't really find much in the form of build/flying comments concerning this nice looking design to be flown in sport mode after the build is completed .

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Scientific Comodore....

Piper:
I'm glad that you hope to build the Commodore! It was one of my dads favorite designs! He likened it to a streamlined Scientific Mercury - with the addition of a Gottengen 549 slightly under cambered airfoil. He used to say "You had to shoot the damn thing down". Try to keep to the original construction (Scientific) as best you can. It worked well.
Let us know how you make out.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ. USA
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
Last edited by JonB; Jan 17, 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:38 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,714 Posts
Wow! What a cool responce to receive as the 2nd post. Jon, I have always admired your Dad's model work and would have really enjoyed meeting him. I do plan on following the Scientific plans as much as possible, framework wise; therein lies the beauty, eh?

I do have one question, Jon, that you may be able to clear up. On Plate 1, which shows the top and side Commodore views, there are callouts for Bulkheads #4A and#5A.
These bulkheads with drafted parts are not shown on my plan sheets. There is, on Plate 2, a cross section at A-A which shows Bulkhead #3A. My Plate 2 does look to be "clipped" on the left side; showing, however, a section at the nose with landing gear attached (above and to the left of the station 2 parts).

So, the short question is, are the Bulkhead sections or parts for #4A and #5A shown on these plans (am I missing these on my set) or do I just need to loft them myself off the existing plans? Thanks for you thoughts.

Cheers,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
Piper:
I'm glad that you hope to build the Commodore! It was one of my dads favorite designs! He likened it to a streamlined Scientific Mercury - with the addition of a Gottengen 549 slightly under cambered airfoil. He used to say "You had to shoot the damn thing down". Try to keep to the original construction (Scientific) as best you can. It worked well.
Let us know how you make out.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Hello,
I have recently started to build a Commodore which I thought very attractive. I have been building and flying model aircraft for many years starting with free flight in the late 40`s! Most of the aircraft I build would be classed as "vintage", but to me they are just a continuation of what I have always built! I must admit to being a compulsive builder which has brought me much enjoyment over the years, and have long been admirer of Shereshaw designs. I previously built a Sportster from Air Trails which I believe was such a design. I have taken the liberty of making some alterations to the building methods on the plan. This was in no way an attempt to "improve" on the original design which needed no such "improvement" but I wished to employ methods which I find attractive such as laminated wing and tail outlines. I hope that this will not have caused offence and does not lessen my admiration for a real giant of the modelling world. I have used the closed loop (pull-pull) system on both the rudder and elevators and have reduced the elevator size by using inset control surfaces. I was slightly concerned that the tapered wing could cause tip stalling problems, but it would appear that this is not the case. I will post a pic. of the model when completed and also of it`s test flight. I must say that it is a pleasure to correspond with someone who is so closely connected with such a renowned figure.
Bob Imp.
Bobimp is offline Find More Posts by Bobimp