HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Discussion
MSR Over-haul: Worn out parts after 50+ packs

I have put well over 50 packs though my MSR, and it was starting to suffer for it.

I started getting TBE, un-trimmable drift, random orbits, servo binding, and the tail was having trouble holding. So.. I broke it down and started looking for worn parts; here is what I had to replace:

Note: This is just from wear, not crash damage:

Main Blade Grips: They were loose and the too halves had some play (even with the screws tight). They also had some wear and play around the feathering spindle.

Feather Spindle: The shaft itself looked pretty good, I measured the spindle with a micrometer and found 3.6 thousanths of an inch diffrence between the new and old spindle, This could be wear or just normal variation in manufacturing. However; the dampers had worn and the spindle had @5-10 degrees of play. I replaced the spindle with the included new o-rings and bushings and the play decreased to 2-3 degrees.

Rotor Hub: I originally was not going to replace the rotor head, but decided to give it a try. Much to my surprise when I replaced the rotor head the additional play in the feathering spindle went away; and play is now @ 1 degree. I also noticed placed the link stays and been bent out ward slighly. on the old rotor head, likely due to crash damage.

Anti-Rotation Collar: This part did not appear worn but the fingers had been bent out slightly, again most likely due to crash damage, I decided to replace it.

Fly Bar: the center hole that the main shaft goes though was worn into an oval shape and there was about 1.5mm of slop in the fly bar.

Tail Motor: The motor had worn out. It had lost power and started to strugle to hold the tail. It also would not hold with sudden full throttle from a hover. In addition my flight times were getting shorter and shorter. I tested the batteries, and they were fine, So I tested the old tail motor against a new tail motor and found that the old motor's draw had increased about 35%. I have no way to measure rpm, but it did not appear to spin as fast as the new tail, and the old tail motor had started making noises.

Aleron Servo: The aleron servo would randomly bind. The Pinon gear on the servo motor was worn and spured, I think it would be fine if I could just replace the gear, but I ended up buying a whole servo because I could not find just a new pinon gear.

The resluts: My MSR now fly's like new; No TBE, the aleron servo is fixed, and I am very happy with my MSR over-haul. (I have heard that there are some alum. parts for the MSR, I likely will replace the blade grips, rotor head, and anti-rotation collar next time they wear out.)

Parts list (All eflite parts) and Cost of over-haul:

Anti-Rotation collar: $2.99
Main Blade Grips: $3.99
Tail boom Assembly: $14.99
Feathering Spindle: $2.99
Main rotor hub: $6.99
Replacement Servo Unit: $11.99

Total Parts cost: $43.94 + Tax

PS: I want to thank Mike's Hobby Shop ( www.mikeshobbyshop.com ) ; Once again thier knowledge, helpfullness, full supply of in stock parts, and truely outstanding customer service have continued to earn my business.

Thanks Mike!
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:00 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,946 Posts
About $3.59 per flight.Kind of expensive for a 5 min thrill,but i like it!I see where "heli crack"comes from.
Glad to hear you wore out your parts that shows how fun this thing is .I just got mine the other day and ni'm having a blast with it.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:22 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
your math????50+ divided by $44=less than a dollar/flight. not bad
regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Thank you very much for posting this info!
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
You are most welcome bilboa.

I was surprised at the amount of wear, especially on the flybar. What we really need are some good brushless motor conversions, I after flying yesterday with some other people with new mSR's I am pretty sure my main motor is starting to fade a bit.

Now I am pushing the Heli in more forward flight with higher head speeds and higher range of motion in the head, I am sure I will see the amount of wear greatly accelerated.

I am a total noobie to RC Heli's but I would like to see eflight to support the highly successfull mSR with upgrades. Or even a high performance kit... more powerfull brushless motors (would require a new 5-in-1 due to ESC), aluminum head (perhaps with a 90' fly bar), slightly higher lift main rotors, along with with eflight's 150 mAh 12C battery (made a huge diffrence in my mSR); or even eflight's 250 mAh battery.I am sure it would be highly profitable, and would be welcomed by those that are looking to get more out of the mSR, even if the upgrade kit was $100 or so, that is really just the cost of 2 overhauls.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:34 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,350 Posts
I would think either your list of replacements would be due to crashing as well as standard wear...On my MSR's (had a few) I noticed that I could fly for 150+ flights before needing any part change..a flybar...nothing else. Yes i could have changed the flybar ealier but it flew decent... then about 20 flights after i had a cracked blade grip .So seems as personal part milage may very per user or individual parts.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:45 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,824 Posts
It's interesting that it wore out so quickly.
I have over 150 flights on mine, and although parts are a bit looser, it still flies fine.
Motors are 100% yet.

Maybe crashes and balance issues are wearing things quicker?
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
No, it was pure wear.

Crash damage on the anti-rotation collar, yes, but the wear in the flybar, dampeners, rotor head, servo pinion and tail motor was from just use. It would fly before I rebuilt it, but it had TBE, and pendelum effect (mainly from the slop on the flybar) was pretty bad in forward flight; and the tail motor was annoying, but livable.

Fantastic little heli, but to keep things tight it looks like some parts will need to be replaced fairly often. Not that I mind, I still love the MSR.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:10 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,350 Posts
If it wasnt crashes plus normal wear then it would have to be defective parts. The servo and motors alone should last well into the late 100's easily. Do you let your motors rest between batteries?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:01 PM
Studio City CA
Joined Apr 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
your math????50+ divided by $44=less than a dollar/flight. not bad
regards,
Bill
< $1 a flight... not bad? You must be joking...?
gfiebach is offline Find More Posts by gfiebach
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If it wasnt crashes plus normal wear then it would have to be defective parts. The servo and motors alone should last well into the late 100's easily. Do you let your motors rest between batteries?
I normally I run 2 stock eflight bats back to back then let it rest for 15-20 min.

I have read several threads now where others have had tail motors wear out, seams like I am not the only one that has had a tail motor get tired. I also have found a few other people with sticking aleron servos, while I agree the degree of wear on my parts (esp. on the aleron servo) was unexpected, it was there all the same.

I refuse to believe my entire rotor head was defective; everything worked great, it just got sloppy over time. My personal theory is that once the flybar wore and got sloppy it's movement stressed and pulled at the rest of the head accelerating the wear on the other moving parts. The same thing happens in engines, once part of the rotating assembly gets out of clearance and starts moving around it starts to wear everthing else at an accelerated rate.

In the future I will be replacing my flybar before it gets sloppy.

I am not looking to aurgue with anyone. I just wanted to share my experence. Wear and tolerances are something I am very familar with.

PS: Both of my tail's have been the new style with the "cap" molded to the end.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:29 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,350 Posts
I am not trying to argue just stating how it should be. I wouldnt think the whole rotor head would be defective but ... That much wear in 50 flights is worse than my bad days with Walkera. Walkera when they were mostly brushed you would get 50 flights or so on a crap motor. Eflite is way better so you should be able expect atleast 3-4 times the life of the motors. ..specially the low running temp tail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:20 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
I agree; should.. but the life of the MSR tails looks to be pretty hit and miss. I know they are brushed, and I assume that are just a mass produced in china pager motor? It is very possible i just got a bad one. I highly recommend you replace your flybar often.

I honestly don't mind, it is a good trainer, and a lot cheaper to keep flying than repairs on larger heli's! I have been doing a lot of nose in, FF, and really pushing my limits with it. Wear is no longer my concern, I already replace my blade grips tonight from a pretty nasty spill into a mail box.

Later next month when I move up into a CP, I am sure I will miss the $7 rotor heads and $14 tails.
Last edited by Gadflyii; Jan 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM.