HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
Discussion
Does this look like some sort of Blue Wonder all dressed up?

In a recent build thread, a member used this motor to power a Discus Launched Glider. It's the HCS Compact 380 motor listed on this page:

http://www.icare-rc.com/specialty-brushless.htm#compact

His pictures of the motor are here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=1

To me, this looks like one of the 24g motors like a Blue wonder, with a folding prop spinner mashed on the front, and a little "trim plate" on the back.

What do you guys think?

If so, I'm considering doing a home-made deal with one of the newer turnigy R&B Wonders for a similar plane that was given to me.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:59 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
You can't tell without comparing lamination shape, thickness, material and coating, and comparing magnet size, shape, rating and flux ring thickness/material. Not to mention copper fill/temp rating.

Looks totally unique to me. Molding that spinner isnt a cheap process, much cheaper to do a small run of CNC milled aluminum parts than to make a mold for plastic.
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
I've done some prototype machine work in the past, so I'm aware of the costs involved. I wasn't even considering going to that extreme(of doing CNC work), though. I was just going to try to find a spinner that would "press-fit" over a turnigy B&RW can. Dial it in with a indicator to make sure it runs true, then CA or epoxy the spinner to the can. The plane I'm thinking of flying will have an AUW of no more than 16oz. or so. A nicely rewound motor would give better than 1-to-1 thrust to weight, and I could run it on a 1000-1300 mAh 3S lipo.

I'm pretty much just thinking out loud here. If I do it, I'll post relavant motor info for all to see.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti