SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Build Log
The ultimate FPV glider

Today I started the build on my FPV Supra. For those of you that don't know the plane, check out the website of Kennedy Composites or watch the movie I made of the non-FPV version

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/suprae.htm
Supra Re-Maiden (3 min 51 sec)

For me this is the ultimate FPV glider, even the ultimate FPV aircraft. It's hollow-molded full glass with carbon fiber reinforcements. The Supra travels at around 40mph, but it can be slowed down to ~10mph for landingings. The top speed should be near 130mph. The glide ratio is out of this world (~1:40), the plane can fly forever and then some on a very small LiPo pack. With the power system I have on board, it will climb at 17 meters per second (~3300 feet per minute). It will be built from the ground up for FPV.

This build includes a couple of "advanced" stuff such as frequency diversity (2.4GHz & 1.3GHz), how to use FPV gear with a 5S battery and how to install FPV gear properly for long range (noise-free) and low drag. I'll also re-build my ground-station and post pics here. There will also be some non-FPV stuff going on ranging from R/C TX programming to build tips for composite models.

I hope we can get a good discussion going because at the end of this build-log I will release a PDF with the contents of this thread in a more structured manner.

Anyways, I got started today ... nothing FPV related yet, just some normal build steps ... here's the pictures:
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
$1500 for the plane... HO-LY CRAP, on another note, the thing looks EFFING SICK!... and looks like you get to break the 4 hour flight mark i bet...
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
Nice plane.

Cool thread

any reason you don't drill 4 more holes in the firewall to allow the air intake from the spinner to enter the fuse?
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,937 Posts
I'd be worried that that carbon wing is going to completely shadow the 1.3Ghz video antenna.
Even if you stick it out the bottom, there's going to be bank angles that block it.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
David, there are holes in the fuselage, and the motor is cooled internally with a fan.

Ian, there is only a carbon spar in the wing. it will block the video at certain times, that's why I have 2 transmitters.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:07 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
I'm excited. Maybe once I sell my house I will follow in your foot steps. Awesome work.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:14 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
very cool
good job

absolutely beautiful plane you have there
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:36 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Cool project.

This explains why you were selling your other stuff.

Is that duct tape I see on the ESC?
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,533 Posts
Quite the dream machine!
Are you planning on using one camera and two TX's?
Any ideas yet on mounting your (camera)'s?
Blue Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue Sky
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:49 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2009
106 Posts
that's really an ultimate glide ratio rate there. 1:40
tihs can travel really far!
kason is offline Find More Posts by kason
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:33 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
V2 Supra - Just Wet My Pants Again Trappy, Keep It Up
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:07 AM
Israel
Joined Aug 2008
186 Posts
Amazing Trappy.

Good luck breaking the 4 hour barrier!
CrazyG is offline Find More Posts by CrazyG
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
BlueSky: Yes, it will be 1 camera and 2 VTx. The 2 VTx will take care of the problem arising with the carbon parts and to guarantee a good video connection even when banking the plane heavily (polarization diversity). I'm back to square one on the camera mount. Initially I planned to mount the pan servo in the fuse and have only the servo-head stick out, but that's not going to work (not enough room). My best choice so far is to glue everything on top the wing.

jsullivan/guyavitov: the 4hour mark will depend on whether I can squeeze enough battery in there. the second vtx will probably need to be turned off for a 4h flight, as I'll be flying with a 5S 2200mAh (that's all that fits).

aviatordave: No, there's no duct tape on the ESC. The whole ESC is shipped in a lightweight aluminum case (I think it's aluminum) for cooling and noise filtering. This really is the best ESC I've ever seen ... there's so much thought put into this (switching BEC with redundant outputs, for example!) ... but it comes at a price
http://www.kontronik.com/index.php?o...emid=1&lang=en

The tape you see wrapped around right now is just to keep the wires out of my way while I work on the fuse.
Last edited by trappy; Jan 17, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:26 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Seems a shame to upset that beautiful streamlined shape with a clunky camera hanging out in the breeze.
How about a redesigned clear bubble canopy for the camera?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
there's absolutely no space inside, I need to put the camera outside in any case. I might add a canopy, but maybe I'll just streamline the camera itself a little.