Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Discussion
Micro 4-site problems, 3RD ONE DOESNT WORK RIGHT! 2/23

**** update page 3 ******

I just picked up my new micro 4-site today and went out to test fly it.

Had everything set up to the book on my DX6I. Got the first mellow flight out
no problems. Tossed another battery on and then set the throws up to the book for advanced 3d flight. Flew the plane a bit more was having an awesome time. Did some snaps and spins. Then durring a fast roll the plane floated up and then spun in. I thought it was maybe my fault some how, or i was going too fast for that roll. So I picked it up no damage (flying over grass) and continued to fly. I did some more rolls then the plane wouldnt stop rolling. w t f... Killed the power and it crashed again. I thought it was something i did again but was starting to wonder about it.

I started to do some flat spins with the plane and it just floated around after trying to get out of it and crashed yet again. I get up to the plane and one of the ailerions is stuck down. After that I thought that maybe the planes throws (on the recommened advanced setting) were too much for the servos so i dialed it back and start to fly little bit less agressive.

Did some more flying after lunch (i have 5 packs for it) some light 3d stuff then started to do more simple things like hammerheads and such. I did one and the plane started a steep flat spin and crashed again! I get up to the plane and the rudder is still full left from my hammerhead a second later it comes back to center once i picked it up!

I have stopped flying the plane now. Its fairly obvious that my aileron servo and rudder servo are sticking for some reason. Ill shoot them a call on monday to see what can be done.

arg, I have been looking forward to this plane for a while now and after almost two hundered bucks she sits broken to no fault of my own

I hope no one else is having problems.
rx7weee is offline Find More Posts by rx7weee
Last edited by rx7weee; Feb 23, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:12 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
This maybe far from your problem but when I flew my today after about the second flight mine started acting strange. When I started looking I found that the tape that had been applied to hold the wires in place had come loose and was sticking to one of my ailerons. Once I fixed it the problems went away.
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:17 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
I tripple checked everything on the plane for any binding on the plane. Plus the rudder servo is sticking, but thats a great place to start!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
@rx7weee

controll the gearing of your servos. sometimes there are little pieces of plastic or dust that stop your servos.
Power off your Receiver and turn the gearwheels with your hand looking if they are running smooth.

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:36 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
I've taken a peek at them. I've got 5 other parkzone/eflite planes that i've had some troubles with but not like this. Mostly all good except one servo that stripped on me.

They look all nice and clean with no gunk in them. I've slowly moved the servos and theres no binding.

Its not a consistant problem. It seemed to happen mostly with spins and snaps. I had a few times where I was high enough for them to center themselfs after a few seconds of an uncontroled spin. I thought it was just the way the plane flew if it was stalled wrong in a spin but its not the case.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
on the 4 sites, the tape is not very good or very well applied. just reapply properly
for the servos, it happens often that at max throw they block. check theres no dirt in them (you might even have to disassemble them.. yes it sux)
if you oil em dont use crap oil, use some grease or something solid like that, else they end up catching dirt, the oil goes away and.. it get stuck with the dirt again.

finally, you can change the servo travel in your dx6i, try to put 90%, then on the ground, move ailerons for 5min until it get stuck. if it doesnt, go fly. else try 85% (if its still getting stuck at 85% its either dirt or faulty afaik)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
The other issue is this plane can get "stuck" in a flat spin. My buddy did that with mine today.

Here is a video...is this how your crash looked?

EFlite Ultra Micro 4Site 3d video (2 min 14 sec)
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:12 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Jimbob, I've done pretty much what you've said except for taking the servos apart. This sticking problem has happened on the recommened low rates too. I just didn't think that it was happening. Since I thought that the problem might have been the throws being too much I had turn the throws down fyi.

ATIS, no it didnt look like that at all. One time the plane floated like it had flaps on then flipped out and around then rolled to a crash. It happened right after I was done with the spin and coming out of it. (I'm 95% sure that a servo was stuck down)

I got the rudder servo to stick again on the ground for just a second but i needed to be very lightly putting pressure onto it. It only stuck for a split second after a good long while of trying. Then it didnt do it again.

The amount of times that this has happened and all the different speeds and throws makes me afriad to fly it due to crash alone. I don't want to trash the plane anymore if i'm not the one doing it. I've got no problems owning up to dumb thumbs but its not the case So far i've cracked my fuse and broken the prop shaft. Both times I know the servos were stuck, and it wasn't my flying. I hate paying for things I didnt do

The problems I'm having shouldnt be going on the first few flights.

I was still flying pretty tame compaired to what I can do and the plane should do. If the plane locks up just getting a feel for it and doing some basic tricks such as shown in the promo video then I shouldnt have wasted my money expecting to do what they did.

I know I've only got a few posts but I've been in this hobby for 14 years (got way too many planes) and I fly real planes too.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:10 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Before causing anymore damage, call Horizon Hobby.

They have extremely good customer service, and replaced a defective Vapor board of mine no questions asked. I fairly sure they will do the same for you.

Problems with a plane that has been crashed and flown many times is expected, but on a brand new plane you deserve to have something that works, considering the price.

By the way, if you don't want to pay shipping to replace it, you can ask Horizon to send you a "shipping label" which you will attach to the box you ship it in, and get free shipping. It takes a few days to arrive, but at least it doesn't add on to your costs.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:17 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
Before causing anymore damage, call Horizon Hobby.

They have extremely good customer service, and replaced a defective Vapor board of mine no questions asked. I fairly sure they will do the same for you.

Problems with a plane that has been crashed and flown many times is expected, but on a brand new plane you deserve to have something that works, considering the price.

By the way, if you don't want to pay shipping to replace it, you can ask Horizon to send you a "shipping label" which you will attach to the box you ship it in, and get free shipping. It takes a few days to arrive, but at least it doesn't add on to your costs.
Thats what I've heard. I'm not going to fly the plane anymore. I bet they will replace the entire plane for me. I haven't delt with them but have heard good things. Although I don't want to wait any longer for my 4site anymore. Sucked today because it was perfect out with no wind and sun all day. I didnt even go through all of my packs.

I'll keep you guys updated. I do have some videos that ill post. Its an awesome plane and when its working right its tons of fun! I'll prob buy another one just because I already love the plane so much. I'm thinking about getting the larger one too.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
I got ahold of them. Because I flew the plane I've got to send it out to them at my cost.

They said I would most likely get a new airplane. Been waiting for this plane since its first press release. Now i gotta wait even longer haha. If any of the local hobby shops have a PNP one i'll prob buy one of those if I dont get my plane back by then.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,027 Posts
Man, thanks for the bad news
I'm waiting on the PNP also. I hope you get your plane back in record time.
I don't think you will be getting the PNP anytime soon though.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:03 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Dec 2006
37 Posts
Got mine delivered on Wednesday. OPened it up tonight to bind the plane before taking it to the local indoor for flying next Tuesday. The plane had a few breaks and creases out of the box.

There were breaks on the horizontal fuselage pieces on both side, a crack in the lower fuselage piece in front of the lower wing. The elevator halves were also broken apart so the servo only moves one side. Creases on the right lower aileron, right elevator and rudder.

For the price, I don't think I want to do the fixing myself just to get it in the air. At this point I guess I need to call Horizon on Monday (no weekend service hours) and see if they can ship me a label to send it back. Could drop it off as I am at e-Fest next weekend. Sounds like I won't have a micro 4-site to fly there however.

That's a bummer.

Eric
kf0s is offline Find More Posts by kf0s
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:25 AM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf0s View Post
Got mine delivered on Wednesday. OPened it up tonight to bind the plane before taking it to the local indoor for flying next Tuesday. The plane had a few breaks and creases out of the box.

There were breaks on the horizontal fuselage pieces on both side, a crack in the lower fuselage piece in front of the lower wing. The elevator halves were also broken apart so the servo only moves one side. Creases on the right lower aileron, right elevator and rudder.

For the price, I don't think I want to do the fixing myself just to get it in the air. At this point I guess I need to call Horizon on Monday (no weekend service hours) and see if they can ship me a label to send it back. Could drop it off as I am at e-Fest next weekend. Sounds like I won't have a micro 4-site to fly there however.

That's a bummer.

Eric
Thats a real bummer, don't do anything to it. As long as you havent flown it they will send you a shipping label.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:12 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,027 Posts
Yep, don't fly it, call them right away
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain