SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:25 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
What specs should I look for when purchasing resistors for making my own battery sensor?

(sorry if this was addressed earlier. Must have missed it - can you reference the post)
would this work?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...iNUUkZDKLe4%3d

Are the resistors 1,500 Ohms or 150,000 ohms? (4,530 ohms and 453,000 ohms)?
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
I apologize if this is old news but I have been emailing back and forth with frsky about a smaller receiver, something that would fit better than the 8 ch Rx in smaller sailplane fuses. I think a 6ch would be ideal but was told that the 7 channel Rx will be availible with straight pins (like the 8 ch & 4 ch are now). That is great as it is both smaller & lighter than the 8ch....even with the 8ch cover removed. Might be out as soon as the end of next month.

Also, if I have several planes with frsky receivers and want to add a new plane and new receiver, do I have to rebind all previous planes like with some systems or does it not matter what I have already bound?

Thanks,
Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
...Are the resistors 1,500 Ohms or 150,000 ohms? (4,530 ohms and 453,000 ohms)?
They are 1,500 Ohm and 4,530 Ohm.
1% metal film resistors are good enough.
If you do choose to go the 0.1% route, pick a 4,500 Ohm instead of 4,530 Ohm (which does not exist in 1% tolerance).
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...ociDCGXAUi4%3d
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildscapeinc View Post
I apologize if this is old news but I have been emailing back and forth with frsky about a smaller receiver, something that would fit better than the 8 ch Rx in smaller sailplane fuses. I think a 6ch would be ideal but was told that the 7 channel Rx will be availible with straight pins (like the 8 ch & 4 ch are now). That is great as it is both smaller & lighter than the 8ch....even with the 8ch cover removed. Might be out as soon as the end of next month.

Also, if I have several planes with frsky receivers and want to add a new plane and new receiver, do I have to rebind all previous planes like with some systems or does it not matter what I have already bound?

Thanks,
Brian
Not sure a full house glider, for example, can be flown on a Futaba setup due to the channel order. May be true for other manufacturers as well. It is a smart move to make a 7ch endpin for this reason. Jr can use 6 ch for full house but some have the throttle always there and it must be on a certain channel.

I was all ready to order a telem. module and what not and now I want to wait for the 7ch endpin for my DLGs!!!

If they keep on, leaking new products, I may never order my stuff!

Frank
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
how much lighter is the 7ch than the 8 without the case?

JMP_Blackfoot, thanks for the info.....
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:22 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,640 Posts
150.000 ohm, i.e. 150kO are too big values, use lower values in the range of single digit kO.
Such resistors will draw about 1mA from the pack, so 2200 hours for a 2200mAh pack

I wouldn't set lower than 3.5V per cell for lipo. Especially for a propulsion pack, less critical for a receiver pack in a gas plane.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
It does not matter; binding a new receiver in the FrSky system does not affect any other receiver.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
how much lighter is the 7ch than the 8 without the case?

JMP_Blackfoot, thanks for the info.....
About 4-5 grams less.
The 7ch receiver is actually internal same as the 8ch, without case, 8th ch disabled and different connectors.
The weight gain is from case and connectors.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:14 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
I was reading in RCmodelReview forums that some FrSKy users were having some issues with the smoothness of their servo movement.

I would like to ask all users who do have an issue where their servo is moving rather notchy or in a steplike fashion to please report what radio you are using the module in, which FrSky module you have, approx. date of purchase (maybe it was one runn or something) and which servos you are having issues with.

thanks

The guys at FrSky always watch our back and seem to always give us great customer service. If there is some small issue and this data could help them, let's do our part to assist them in making a great product even better.

Frank
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Robbe futaba fc-nn

Does anyone know if the Frsky-module works good on Futaba FC-18 or FC-28?

/M
marcusdorf is offline Find More Posts by marcusdorf
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
Chase, are you aware of any compatability issues with using your Futaba style module in a Robbe-Futaba FC28 tx? This is the Euro tea-tray style transmitter with a part metal case. It takes a TQ module for 35 MHz, which I think is the same as the Futaba 9Z tx. The module case style is the same as the common Futaba modules, ie those for FF8 and FF9C.
We seem to be getting reduced range, or at least a lot of failsafes, hence the question, is the module at fault, or just not compatable?

Bob
Bob!
Did you come up with any solution for this?
/M
marcusdorf is offline Find More Posts by marcusdorf
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:39 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
499 Posts
Marcus, the module mentioned in that post turned out to be faulty and was replaced under warranty. It fitted the TX and worked ok, but it was actually a clubmates transmitter and I don't know for certain whether he used it in that tx very often. He has several that he changes between as the mood takes him.

Earlier in the year, when I first got the FrSky gear, we tried it in a variety of transmitters with Futaba style module housings and it looked to work fine in the Futaba/Robbe sets. It's just that we only did a quick short range test so I can't promise that there will be absolutley no issues at all. It looked promising though.
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Last edited by BrumBob; Jul 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
Just did my first flight on the FrSky system. It flew very well, not as locked in as my Spektrum equipment but that is likely due to the age of my transmitter (Futaba 8U non super) and the fact that the model I was flying was brand new and had some oscillatory/vibration "issues" (prop probably unbalanced, prop on prop saver, prop hitting one of the elevons).

I range tested to ~30 feet on the 4 channel Rx at the field, and didn't have any radio glitches during the flight whatsoever, even during low high speed passes. I may order another 4 channel Rx for my DL50 (wooden DLG) simply for piece of mind at the field.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:38 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Just did my first flight on the FrSky system. It flew very well, not as locked in as my Spektrum equipment but that is likely due to the age of my transmitter (Futaba 8U non super) and the fact that the model I was flying was brand new and had some oscillatory/vibration "issues" (prop probably unbalanced, prop on prop saver, prop hitting one of the elevons).
Does this say anything at all about FrSky? Wouldn't you have got exactly the same degree of "locked-in" feeling from running Spektrum in the same situation? Doesn't "locked-in" just mean the radio works?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
You are absolutely correct that these aren't FrSky problems, just my personal comments. I feel I have slightly better control on the Spektrum gear due to the new Tx, but its really down to airplane feel on both systems. Quality on FrSky, at least externally, is just as good as the name brands, and you cannot beat the price for the quality!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Last edited by samc99us; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:09 AM.