Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
Don't forget the FPV guys. They want MORE, at least outside LOS
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Not to worry that is the next step. I am taking the 8ch with me for a walk in the forest this weekend. Now if I can just find my GPS for some accurate measurements I will be happy. I do not recommend moving and then renovating stuff is never where I thought I put it. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Don't forget the FPV guys. They want MORE, at least outside LOS
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:38 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
Don't complicate with GPS !
Do a car test as I did for Hitec. Odometer is enough for a first ground test try.
All you need is a straight, flat road of at least 2km, free of other 2.4Ghz sources.
What you get on the ground with the Rx in the car, back window, I think we can double easily to find the air range.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:01 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
This is NZ we don't have straight bits of road. ;-) Only road that is straight is the motorway and the cop's will not be happy with me range testing there. ;-)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
Hmm... I seen in LOTR some big fields though
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:13 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Hence the walk in the field with GPS. ;-)
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Didn't quite get to test the 8ch range however did test failsafes on the 4ch Turned the transmitter off in a vertical flight, failsafe kicks in stalls does a dive. Turn transmitter on and instant recovery.

Yes it was foam and a light weight did not want to do that with a larger model but I can predict a vertical dive.

However for some light entertainment here is xjet playing with a FrSky on a pulsejet.

Pulsejet powered World Models TameCat RC plane, maiden flight (3 min 29 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:52 PM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
494 Posts
4 channel micro RX - a point to watch out for

I've just had an incident with a 4 channel micro receiver, luckily while I was adding a servo, not while flying. I brushed against the aerial, and it fractured at the soldered connection to the pcb. There is absolutely no support for the wire, any vibration WILL result in a fatigue fracture. It's not hard to re-attach, but the land it attaches to is tiny. Of course, I had to guess where it came from! The board should ideally be a couple of mm longer to allow for some sort of support for the aerial. I've put a dab of silicon on mine to give it some support.

Bob
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
You meant it is soldered, not using a plug ?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:47 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Yes the 4 ch is soldered not plugged. However mine is soldered better than the Spektrum AR6100's I have, I have had to repair a few of those from vibrations. I can have a look at the other 4ch's I have in stock here and have a look at there solder work and see if I see any weak joins but from when I was labeling them from memory they all looked fairly robust.

The 8ch's are plugs.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:33 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,677 Posts
Received a two way development system

I had a fun parcel arrive in the post today. I received a pre-production example of the two way system from FrSky.
I hope to run it up on the garage bench tonight to confirm it's all working, but in the meantime here's a couple of images.

One thing I like right away on the supplied 8Ch receiver is the use of right angled headers for the servo connections. This is FAR better idea than tacking on a edge mounted sub-board with straight pins on it.
Why ? Because the robustness of the solder joints on right angled pins are much better than the using a solder blob to join two light weight circuit boards together, like many brands do (like a Spektrum AR7000). It's a small thing, but a good thing IMHO.

The TX module has a U.FL connector on it and a antenna coax and 1/4 wave stub, I have however a few spare U.FL to RP-SMA leads in my bits box, so I will do some channel power and other RF measurements in the office next week.

Has anybody got any experience on connecting to or displaying info from the telemetry from the TX module yet ?
I'll make a start on the weekend but any tips are welcome.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:50 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
I had a fun parcel arrive in the post today. I received a pre-production example of the two way system from FrSky.
Did it come with an instruction book. I am particularly interested in telemetery interface.

Is it possible for you to post it here?

Thanks,

Dan
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:16 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyj3 View Post
Did it come with an instruction book. I am particularly interested in telemetery interface.

Is it possible for you to post it here?

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan. No it didn't come with an app note, BUT Chase did send me the PDF protocol and command documentation last week.

Unfortunately that was to my work email not here at home, and also I can't find my USB stick right now (I loose it twice a week) and I'm not going into the office tomorrow unless plans change (I'm doing field work).

If I don't get in there tomorrow I won't have the PDF on me till next Monday...
Maybe Mr Chase Wu would be kind enough to post the PDF here as attachments for us all. The more people see the info the faster we can get some hardware built.

Martin
PS. I'll post a quick video of my bench test tonight, yep it runs well, used my TX eliminator for the quick test.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:28 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Hi Dan. No it didn't come with an app note, BUT Chase did send me the PDF protocol and command documentation last week.

If I don't get in there tomorrow I won't have the PDF on me till next Monday...
Maybe Mr Chase Wu would be kind enough to post the PDF here as attachments for us all. The more people see the info the faster we can get some hardware built.
Monday will be fine. I wanted to study the protocol so I could determine the interface for some sensors. My particular interest is RPM, airspeed and altitude. I want to direct interface the transmitter telemetry to a PC for data collection for a spread sheet.

Thanks,
Dan
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,069 Posts
Jonathan/Chase, I've been studying the protocol document, please could you confirm if the 4800bps RS232 channel has to be framed using the "10 byte plus header" protocol?
I'm not sure because parts of the dicumentation imply that it is a free flowing, no protocol, continuous serial stream... but other parts imply that it must be framed. If framing is necessary then I have some conversions to do.
Many thanks
Phil
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g