Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
In theory, in a clean area, and the perfect setup, it is 4-5km, and some people reached this distance.
Frsky was advised to be conservative and spec the system as 1-1.5km, just to not have surprises.
Your range is too small to have anything ok on your plane.
If the ground range check is under 50m, I would inspect antennas.
I get 87m on range check with stock antenna, 130m with patch, in a very wifi noisy area. I stop walking at the first glitch, where the red light comes on. The green light return and I can continue walking in theory, but that's where I measured the 87m.

According to the manual I can multiply that with 30 on full power, which I don't even want to think about, because I lose all control between 600-700m. Same as my old Spektrum setup.

I've taken some pictures now for you to see if I've missed anything, or botched up anything.

What the pics don't show is the 5x1mm CF strip running the width of the wing in an arc, along with a 5mm diameter CF rod in the nose from side to side.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:41 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
This is the real strange thing... you really must have 30x more range, no joke...
Unless you have a very noisy RF source on your wing, not active in ground range check.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:59 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
What's the big fat video transmitter you have there? Which freq/power?
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
Based on antenna size it's 5.8G, either 200 or 400mW, both are same look.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
What's the big fat video transmitter you have there? Which freq/power?
Quote:
Based on antenna size it's 5.8G, either 200 or 400mW, both are same look.
Wow you guys are quick on the forum Yes, it's a 5.8 500mW. What you see there is the heat sink, it had the board beneath it, which I've disconnected and laid flat next to it.

All systems were turned on when I was ground testing.

Maybe that's flooding the rx at a distance? I don't understand how, though. But who the heck flies 1.5km LOS??
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:02 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
Was the FPV setup turned on for the range check? Not my expertise at all, but when troubleshooting, try and replicate as much of the environment as possible, and then change one factor at a time.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
5.8G shouldn't affect 2.4GHz RC, I say this having some longer than 5km flights with 200mW video, not boosted RC, just patch panel antenna.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:22 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
The 200mW is usually OK indeed, but the 500mW version has a different amplifier that could be not as well filtered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
But who the heck flies 1.5km LOS??
And who uses 500mW for just 1.5km...
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:25 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
Fine, but I've often seen "shouldn't" that doesn't match "doesn't" because something is not doing what is "should've". Just a thought.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:08 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
The 200mW is usually OK indeed, but the 500mW version has a different amplifier that could be not as well filtered...

And who uses 500mW for just 1.5km...
Exactly! I've done 3km with my RangeLink receiver on the same plane - this is when it starts getting snowy.

Quote:
5.8G shouldn't affect 2.4GHz RC, I say this having some longer than 5km flights with 200mW video, not boosted RC, just patch panel antenna.
I'll try with my patch next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
Was the FPV setup turned on for the range check? Not my expertise at all, but when troubleshooting, try and replicate as much of the environment as possible, and then change one factor at a time.
Yes, of course everything turned on as if I was flying for real.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,711 Posts
After spending an hour searching thru the threads, I just need to ask this question.

BACKGROUND: I have 2 Multiplex Evo xmtrs. One converted to FrSky non telemetry, 3 hlg gliders flying using V8R7SP non telemetry rcvrs.

I want to convert the other Evo to FrSky. Only the telemetry xmtr module seems to be available. We have tested that module and it can control the non telemetry rcvrs in my planes.

I'm not particularly interested in the telemetry options, as battery capacity is limited in a hlg, so I'd rather just recharge between rounds. Telemetry rcvrs draw more current, but maybe that is insignificant compared to the draw of four servos?

So, which rcvrs should I go with? Size is a problem in the small hlg fuse, the 7 channels barely fit. Oh, horizonal pins are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:54 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,042 Posts
Gary,

Do you have any Jr digitals? If yes, you should use the non telemetry V8 series. D285, 290 and 287 Jr digitals all jitter when too close to the telemetry receivers.

Either non-telemetry, the 8 channel without case (V8FR: specs: 14gr 49mm×24.5mm×15 mm) or 7 (v8-7SP spec: 9g, 49mm×23mm×12mm) might fit depending on plane. I think they end up being the same width without the case. both have 8 sets of pins out the side.

I just built a CX2 and am using the D4R telemetry receiver in them. I have the digitals in the wing and the upgrade elevator servo from Roland. No jittering and current draw was fine. Flew it all day in a contest on Sat. (LISF Aug contest). I tend to recharge between rounds (well, every 2 or 3 rounds actually and that depended on when I would have to fly next) but I did fly it for about an hour without recharging just the day before. Still had power but I do not recall how much was left when I finally recharged it. I also could just barely fit a D6R in the CX2 as well.

I was using the stock 400mAh NiMH that Roland give me in the plane.

One more thing, Occasionally, I would get an odd beep from time to time when farther out. I guess as I turned in a thermal, the connection lost a frame or something and it indicated that my RSSI was near the limits and would beep. I have the antennas ouat a 45 deg. out the top and bottom and my Tx antenna was bent downward as much as I could with my 9303 (handle prevents it from being fully downward but it is most of the way). Never did I see any loss of control or anything that would suggest I lost it though. It was in control the entire day. Straight runs never beeped, only in turns and not always. It was niced being able to look down and know how much voltage I had and whether I was ranging too far.

Those are my results so far

Hope that helps,
Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,426 Posts
I have been using the V8R7, but to get them to fit my Stobels I remove the servo connectors something like Phil did here with a 72 rcvr.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=510

This was to get the receiver in front of the servos. Behind there was lots of room, but then you can't get ballast in.

On my last one I simply soldered all the wires directly to the rcvr, simpler and lighter.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:38 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
982 Posts
I am using a JR 8411 and two JR 811 digitals in one plane with the D8R-II+ with no issues, but using 4 cell 4.8v NIMH packs as JR servos dont like 5 cell (6v) packs no matter what receiver they are connected to.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
I am using a JR 8411 and two JR 811 digitals in one plane with the D8R-II+ with no issues, but using 4 cell 4.8v NIMH packs as JR servos dont like 5 cell (6v) packs no matter what receiver they are connected to.
How close are the digitals to the receiver antennas?

I had even the Jr 368 jittering when close to the antenna ends.

It all depends on proximity. the farther away the antennas are, the less they jitter and draw current.

things get pretty tight in a DLG...
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High