HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
If intending to boosterize your setup, which I can't approve, I am against boosters then go 1, one way receivers are more sensible than two way. Instead booster you can switch to CP antennas, more than 10km guaranteed with a small 4 turn helix on Tx, and you keep telemetry.
For 2, device is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FrSky-RSSI-D...item1c1bba84d0
3 - this spring
4 - no beeps with boosters
5 - check arduplane and minimosd thread, that setup can be done for $150
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Okay, I have read a bit on reliability issues with boosters so will stay off boosters for now. Actually I have been thinking about a CP setup on the RC link. I like the helical but I imagine I would still have to point it towards the plane somewhere within a 60 deg angle. On the receiver side, I am thinking a turbine wheel with the thinner profile to be put under one wing but can't seem to find anything other than DIY. Any flat profile CPs I can use on the other rx antenna? I am also using a CL and SPW/Crosshair diversity setup for the ground station, these are RHCP. Should I get LHCP CPs for the RC link? Maybe I am off topic and should be going to the antenna thread for this.
EZflyzone is offline Find More Posts by EZflyzone
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:32 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,659 Posts
Any idea where to get the FrSky RX 250MM balun antennas in EU?
Giantshark has only the bigger ones 40MM and that is way too big for my quads.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:54 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,635 Posts
If I'm interpreting recent posts correctly is it correct that the two way D series with telemetry have a shorter range than the one way V8 series ? Or have I got that wrong ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Yes, but not by much, and the fact is more because V8 transmitter is more powerful than the D transmitter.
Also, not having RSSI feedback, the one way FPV pilots are more tempted to reach the edge than the two way pilots.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I have three of these one D8RII plus reflashed as per instructions. They work just fine for Eagle Tree and Skylark OSD's.

I may switch over to the LR RX once it and the Futaba module for it are available, but what I have is fine for the FPV missions I am doing. I really like having the RSSI. It tells me a lot about how effective my antenna placement is (when I turn to different orientations) and also tells me how important it is to make sure my TX antenna is "tilted" properly. That makes a big difference in the signal strength.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:43 AM
USA, MA, Northfield
Joined Sep 2005
634 Posts
unusual request

Looking for someone local to convert one of my (older) Airtronics transmitters to frysky. Have given up on buying a used JR tx on rcg. Would rather give the $30- $40 shipping money plus plus to capable tech within 50 or so miles. Zip is 01360 (western MA) Would be good to come up with schematics first for the Vanguard 7P and the VG6000 - cheers jim
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Manchester, UK
Joined Sep 2008
64 Posts
I've just replaced my Specktrum Receiver in my Quad for a Frsky D8R-II PLUS,

all seems ok in DJI Assistant 1.8, but not in PPM mode only traditional,
and then when all calibrated, the Motors won't arm....

Do I need to update firmware of the Receiver?
Will it work in PPM mode?
a9amg is offline Find More Posts by a9amg
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
please follow this thread... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post24153937

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a9amg View Post
I've just replaced my Specktrum Receiver in my Quad for a Frsky D8R-II PLUS,

all seems ok in DJI Assistant 1.8, but not in PPM mode only traditional,
and then when all calibrated, the Motors won't arm....

Do I need to update firmware of the Receiver?
Will it work in PPM mode?
The D8RII-Plus doesn't have PPM out unless reflashed with the D8R-XP's firmware. What radio do you have?
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I was very impressed with the FRSky system reports - the cost is way less than I thought. IIUC, for about $50 (+$15 shipping) I can get the futaba module and an 8 channel RX with anteena extensions that works with signal strength beep thingy (telemetry) out of the box. This is reported to convert my old F8U perfect.
I assume 5.8 or 1.3 with the special filter thingy is the preffered FPV signal. 1.3 sounds superior due to signal constitution. Sounds like 1km + as-is is easy with this settup. Why aren't more people useing them? Or am I missing something?
The claimed 1.5km is more in theory than in practice. At 700m I lose signal completely. I keep on banging my head against this wall - I've been very lucky to get my model back until now. 2.4 band is extremely noisy and if you have carbon fibre reinforcements like a lot of us do, it might affect range as well.

I'm going to try a 2.4 patch next, but that's very directional.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:21 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Sep 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
The D8RII-Plus doesn't have PPM out unless reflashed with the D8R-XP's firmware. What radio do you have?
I have a Futaba 9C.

any idea why the motors won't arm?
a9amg is offline Find More Posts by a9amg
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
As Kilrah wrote, you must reflash it with the XP firmware.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:34 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
The claimed 1.5km is more in theory than in practice. At 700m I lose signal completely. I keep on banging my head against this wall - I've been very lucky to get my model back until now. 2.4 band is extremely noisy and if you have carbon fibre reinforcements like a lot of us do, it might affect range as well.

I'm going to try a 2.4 patch next, but that's very directional.
In theory, in a clean area, and the perfect setup, it is 4-5km, and some people reached this distance.
Frsky was advised to be conservative and spec the system as 1-1.5km, just to not have surprises.
Your range is too small to have anything ok on your plane.
If the ground range check is under 50m, I would inspect antennas.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:58 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi

I'm still reading what is related to the Futaba 8FG TX and using it with the FRSKY ACCST module
---
... I'm sure I"m missing something ,,, I've checked the diagram of the Futaba trainer port made by Scott Page .. and there are 6 pins not 3 .. and there is PPM in . and PPM out ...

So a little insight is greatly appreciated ...

---

Khaled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfdCuRmx0jc

Using the HK JR DSM module, but Ive also used Futaba modules from Corona (V2 DSSS), Assan and FrSky with the 8FG since I bought it; difference has been the module pin layout.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris