HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,435 Posts
how to upgrade d4r-ii firmware?

apologies if this has been mentioned before, i just can't find good info for my following problem:

are there a good link/guide/instructions for upgrading the d4r-ii rx with the 27ms cppm firmware using the fuc-3 interface?

i have all the cables that came with the fuc-3 and d4r-ii, have downloaded all the manuals and the frmware files from http://www.frsky-rc.com, but am not sure how to connect the two. the cable that came with the rx seems to fit physically, but i want to double check the steps. and it also looks like i have to power up the rx separately?

separately, is there a good place where all the pinouts and connection info is found?

thanks very much!
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,316 Posts
I'm about to bin my frsky... I get random 1-2 second cut-outs from about 300-400m, while my low power range check gives me 80m, so a theoretical 2.4km. I've moved my antennas around in all configurations imaginable. Today I had a cut out which lasted long enough to crash my plane less than 300m away.

Is this common? Do I have a bad unit (V8FR-II)?

Really getting desperate here..
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:43 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
What climate are you flying in temperature wise?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
France, IdF, Villeparisis
Joined Jul 2003
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
I don't see any benefit in computing vario data on board. If you use pressure sensor correctly with huge oversampling then you get altitude readings where every value is correct (with insignificant error). In that case you can compute vario in transmitter from every two values. This means that you have to send only altitude, not both altitude and vario and it will save precious bandwidth for other data. For example GPS has heavy demands on bandwidth. There is simply never enough bandwidth, so better not waste it.
With altitude sent every 200ms you can make a very simple variometer, but if you want something accurate
and not so much delayed, the best way is to sample as high rate as possible and compute some low pass filters on board.
I am sure MPU have plenty of time waiting for something to do and groud MPU has better to do.

MS5611 theoretical resolution is 10cm but signal is very noisy even if you use a private ultra low noise voltage regulator only for sensor.
You can sample every 10ms and hope a 20cm/s vario sensivity with less of 2 seconds delay.

Frsky downlink bandwith could be better used. Protocol is not optimized because sending before comma value parts and after comma value parts separately use lot of ovehead.
I hope Frsky will do much better for Smart port.

Peg@se
pegase is offline Find More Posts by pegase
Last edited by pegase; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:54 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I'm about to bin my frsky... I get random 1-2 second cut-outs from about 300-400m, while my low power range check gives me 80m, so a theoretical 2.4km. I've moved my antennas around in all configurations imaginable. Today I had a cut out which lasted long enough to crash my plane less than 300m away.

When did you buy it? I.e. how old is it?

What sort of model have you put it in and how are the antennas positioned and mounted?

You can have a look through this forum but can say the v8fr-ii hasn't had many (if any) people say they have faulty receivers - so not common. Of course nothing to say it isn't faulty.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
Quote:

There have been one or two reports of problems when the units are operated well below zero C. Is that what you are doing ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
I'm about to bin my frsky... I get random 1-2 second cut-outs from about 300-400m, while my low power range check gives me 80m, so a theoretical 2.4km...Is this common? Do I have a bad unit (V8FR-II)?
Have you tried it with another battery? It maybe that you get dips in the power supply voltage which reset the logic in the receiver.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
When did you buy it? I.e. how old is it?

What sort of model have you put it in and how are the antennas positioned and mounted?

Si.
It's about 6 months old, I have it in a Swift II. The antennas were positioned horiztonally, at 90 degree angles. The receiver is embedded in the tip of the wing. Last night I turned the other antenna vertically, along the winglet, as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
There have been one or two reports of problems when the units are operated well below zero C. Is that what you are doing ?

Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
What climate are you flying in temperature wise?
A balmy 27 degrees C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
Have you tried it with another battery? It maybe that you get dips in the power supply voltage which reset the logic in the receiver.
I've flown quite a few batteries, but maybe there is a correlation to a specific battery, however they are all 3s, so should supply enough voltage to the BEC that drives the receiver.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,272 Posts
Does the plane have carbon parts? They can shade the 2.4Ghz signal.
Check if both antennas are well connected to the receiver..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,596 Posts
Use a telemetry receiver, cuts down on the guess work of radio reception. Well worth the extra couple of bucks!!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:59 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
940 Posts
For UK (and I guess EU) FrSky lovers, I've just noticed that GiantShark has the new SBus to 4 Servo converter or as they name it "Frysky SBUS to PWM Decoder". Plus they have the accompanying "Frsky Servo Channel Changer" too.

Frysky SBUS to PWM Decoder [sic]
Frsky Servo Channel Changer

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Use a telemetry receiver, cuts down on the guess work of radio reception. Well worth the extra couple of bucks!!

-Wayne
I take it you are expecting to restock soon? Went looking the other day to see if ordering a DJT module & receiver from you rather than HK was viable with posting to AU because your prices seem quite competitive.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:30 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,801 Posts
Hi

I'm still reading what is related to the Futaba 8FG TX and using it with the FRSKY ACCST module ... I'm doing this to have a longer safer range with a patch antenna and a 2.4 GHZ booster ... yes UHF didn't work for where I fly ... too much interference ...

1st of all I'd like to thank you guys for the informative posts .. I learnt a lot especially Scott Page

So I got the FRSKY ACCSY module for JR ... I intended to use it on a 9X .. but I prefer using it with my 8FG... if this is possible and I have a strong feeling it is possible after some posts I read here ... so please bare with me and kindly correct me ...

This is the module /RX combo I got ...

1- Open the module and look for the PPM, GND, +V
2- Open the 8FG and solder PPM, GND, +V from the module to the corresponding pins behind the trainer port .. (To keep it free for head tracker use )
3-Setup trainer mode in the 8FG as a student to output PPM stream through the trainer port

sounds too simple ... I'm sure I"m missing something ,,, I've checked the diagram of the Futaba trainer port made by Scott Page .. and there are 6 pins not 3 .. and there is PPM in . and PPM out ...

So a little insight is greatly appreciated ...

BTW ...

Is there any difference between the boxed module in the link above and the DIY module... other than telemetry ... I don't need it since I already have OSD and I have all the info I need during flight in the video goggles ..

Thanks a lot for your help ... much appreciated

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,272 Posts
Non telemetry combo will give you a longer range, but if you intend to use a booster, this detail is no more important.
I am not a big booster fan, if 10 km is enough for you, can be achieved simpler and safer using CP antennas, with a 4 turn helix on Tx.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Does the plane have carbon parts? They can shade the 2.4Ghz signal.
Check if both antennas are well connected to the receiver..
I do have 2 CF spars - this might very well be the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I'm not reaching the end of reception, it's just a sudden cut-out and then everything is fine again for another 300m+. Besides, I'm flying FPV..

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Non telemetry combo will give you a longer range, but if you intend to use a booster, this detail is no more important.
I am not a big booster fan, if 10 km is enough for you, can be achieved simpler and safer using CP antennas, with a 4 turn helix on Tx.
Sounds like an option - CP antennas are great for video, why not for my controller. However, if it's because of the carbon shading, it's not going to help.

Another cut-out today - ALMOST fatal...

Scary FRSKy Cut Out (0 min 32 sec)