Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:51 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
FWIW, the temperature range for most JR/Spektrum equipment is only 0 to 50

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-SPMAR6115E#t6
Quote:
What's maximun and minimum operating temperature of my JR equipment?

0 Degrees Celsius or 32 Degrees Farenheit Minimum

50 Degrees Celsius or 122 Degrees Farenheit Maximum
Airtronics has the same range specified for their transmitters (they don't mention receivers)
http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...-sx-sd10g.html
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,629 Posts
All can be temperature conditioned, transmitters using mitts, receivers by placing near heat generators in plane like ESC, or battery in multicopters.
2.4Ghz digital are now immune to ESC radiations, the old advice to not place them close to ESC was for FM/analog.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Goldsworthy--- you are in friggin Arizona . right? Just south of Hell. What are you worried about cold for? (jk)

It's COLD up here -- I fly ALOT in the cold. Never had a balky receiver of any make due to cold - and I have a huge stable of receivers and planes. Once -- just recently -- I had my first cold related failure (other than my fingers). It was a servo. When I go back to work next week I'll give it a careful exam in the scope - I expect to find a flaky solder joint - I'm like Ivory soap on that. Same for the receiver issue.

Bottom line -- Don't worry. It's an isolated instance and FrSKY is doing the responsible thing by doing a thorough examination -- certainly in a stereo microscope -- so they learn where the problem started and minimize their failure rate. (all products have a failure rate -- FrSKY's rates are very low).
HEY! sometimes it gets down to 70 above 0 here!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
WiseDuck. are you sure you never powered the receiver reversed ?
Based on the plug I see in the picture, a mistake is easily possible.
I have, many times on some of my receivers. It's never been a problem. I assume they have some kind of built in protection against this because I've never seen any magic smoke and they always come back to life when I plug it in again the right way.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,577 Posts
If you do the freezer test and your equipment fails don't assume that if you stay above the critical temperature all will be well - it won't
Once a solder joint has cracked then the crack will propagate with each temperature cycle whether or not you go down to where it goes open circuit. This means that the temperature at which it fails will slowly increase till it fails altogether.

The corollary is if you are not planning to operate your equipment in low temperature don't do the freezer test as you might kill it

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Last edited by Terry Rigden; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added corollary
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:22 AM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
60mW plus 2.2dB equals near enough 100mW ERP, or do you disagree?
Hi aesmith

You're right.

60 mW * 10^(2.2/10) = 99.6 mW or 20 dbm.

Btw, i'm happy with the FrSky system. First I have used the Assan 2.4 gHz system, but was not working with my 433Mhz Vario.
After 50 m distance i have had no reception.

Best regards
Micha
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:22 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I have, many times on some of my receivers. It's never been a problem. I assume they have some kind of built in protection against this because I've never seen any magic smoke and they always come back to life when I plug it in again the right way.
Ouch!! Admission of guilt. Now I'm quite sure that power was applied to wrong place.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Last edited by A10FLYR; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:37 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Once a solder joint has cracked then the crack will propagate with each temperature cycle whether or not you go down to where it goes open circuit. This means that the temperature at which it fails will slowly increase till it fails altogether.
While we don't know at this point whether solder joints are the issue, Terry's latest post seems to exactly describe what happened with my two RX's and what made it quite hard to figure out.

At first the failures were sporatic. They seemed to be assoicated with the cold, but they did not fail every time I put them out in the cold. It was incredibly confusing. But it really seemed to be associated with the cold cycle so I kept at it. Eventually the failures began to happen every time I put them out in the cold, and also every time I put them in the freezer and it only took about 5 minutes. Whatever was causing the problem "seemed" to get worse with repeated cycles.

Terry advises against unnecessary exposure to cold cycling and that makes sense to me. If it works in the weather you fly in it ought to be fine. Probably any RX enclosed in a fuselage is going to be fine no matter what unless the plane sits outdoors for a long time before a flight. As has been noted Spectrum and Airtronics list a min temp of 30F.

Sticking electronics on a multicopter and then flying in sub zero (C) temperataures creates a severe environment. While my two current RX's "passed" the cold test once, I have chosen to enclose each in a foam box. I have roughly calculated that the heat produced by the RX should provide about a 10F temperature rise above ambient. Plus, of course, it will take quite a bit of time for the RX to cool off so hopefully I'll be able to take it from my warm house, set up and do my 8-10 minute flight before it or I get too cold!
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:50 AM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
If you do the freezer test and your equipment fails don't assume that if you stay above the critical temperature all will be well - it won't

The corollary is if you are not planning to operate your equipment in low temperature don't do the freezer test as you might kill it

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry

I agree with you. Also some components are maybe of commercial grade, temperature range 0C to 70C. Thus a freezer test may damage those components.

Best regards
Micha
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:52 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Ouch!! Admission of guilt. Now I'm quite sure that power was applied to wrong place.
Well, what do I gain by lying here? :P This may have ruined it, it's hard to tell. Like I said, I've plugged in things wrong before. Upside down servo connectors, power plugs, the receivers have always worked after this. This one still seems to work in SOME ways, i.e. it powers up, you can bind to it, but it won't connect. So I just thought that maybe it's something else. Anyways, it's pretty much done for at this point, I've got a replacement on the way.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:57 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Well, what do I gain by lying here? :P .
Nothing ofcourse. And I missed a smiley face in my post. Sorry, I'll edit it.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:24 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
FWIW, the temperature range for most JR/Spektrum equipment is only 0 to 50

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-SPMAR6115E#t6

Airtronics has the same range specified for their transmitters (they don't mention receivers)
http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...-sx-sd10g.html
Interestingly they don't quote storage temperatures which would be more relevant for low temperature solder joint failures.

In the Optoelectronics industry the normal temperature range was -40 to +85 , the lower temperature was set to cover shipping in an unheated aircraft hold. something that probably occurs to our equipment too.

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:23 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Futaba RX failures due to cold cycling?

I store all my airplanes in my unheated garage over the winter. All of my "fleet" of planes, except for my multicopters, are fitted with 72 mHz Futaba FP-148 RX's. Interestingly, two of my many planes had bum RX's at the beginning of last year's flying season. These RX;s were perfectly fine when I put them to bed in the garage at the end to the previous years flying season. I could not figure out why two RX's had failed. I wonder if they were damaged by repeated cold cycling in my garage, which repeated cycles between well above and below freezing on a daily basis. It is an interesting possibility. Fortunately I keep the small multicopters indoors, but I can't do this with the planes. After those failures, I range check every plane at the beginning of the flying season.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:37 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
I should find out. I keep around 6 gliders in my van year around and they go thru lots of cycling!! Same with my TXs.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Ebay RSSI DAC work great

I am happy to report that the RSSI DAC units work great on my D8R-XP and send the proper voltage to the Skylark OSD. Pretty much plug and play with this OSD.

On my ET OSD the RSSI signal bounces around and I suspect I need one of the Dpcav buffers made for use with the ET.

I am very pleased with the combination of the D8R-XP and the DAC. I have wanted an RSSI signal and now I have one.