SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy_schulz View Post
Max allowed is 100 mW EIRP in Europa.
60mW plus 2.2dB equals near enough 100mW ERP, or do you disagree?
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:59 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,468 Posts
Maybe, but before mad, was not informed. And he trust a brand.
It's known since first hot summer after FASST system release, and the reason is also known, a commercial grade chip, rated at 60 degrees.
If you expect to find this from a Futaba technical bulletin, this is other story, and shows how good is this company... to hide garbage under carpet.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:07 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
60mW plus 2.2dB equals near enough 100mW ERP, or do you disagree?
Then, the others who publish 100mW, how are they complying ?

As far as I know, the power reduction in Frsky had other technical reasons, not to comply with the power level itself, and was introduced in V2 firmware.
Something related to spurious radiations in telemetry stream over a limited level, that could trouble the certification.
Who want 100mW can load V1 firmware, available online, but not FCCed and fly (maybe) 15% more.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
So my 6ch telemetry receiver from FrSky doesn't work. It will bind, but it won't connect. I've hooked it up to a 1S lipo to test it.. Nope, still doesn't work. And then I noticed that this part here is too hot to touch, I can hold my finger on it for about a 2 seconds, but that's it.

Surely that can't be normal? Or is it? I'll post a video soon of how the LED blinks when it's trying to connect.
That looks to be a voltage regulator. If it is getting hot then something is putting too much load on it.

It is probably cycling on and off due to hitting its temperature or current limit.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:37 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Maybe, but before mad, was not informed. And he trust a brand.
It's known since first hot summer after FASST system release, and the reason is also known, a commercial grade chip, rated at 60 degrees.
If you expect to find this from a Futaba technical bulletin, this is other story, and shows how good is this company... to hide garbage under carpet.
Yes, this is exactly what he found out AFTER the FACT (and after he did his own testing in a temperature controlled oven) that this was a problem KNOWN by Futaba but not reported and not immediately corrected either.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:43 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,906 Posts
[QUOTE=WiseDuck;23711408]Anyways, here is my problem. Like I mentioned in the post above, one part gets really hot. I don't know if this is normal. This is what mine is doing right now, can anyone explain why it's doing this?

I had a 6 channel RX that did something like that...turns out I had plugged the power plug in upside down.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:28 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,586 Posts
Is that D6FR? If so, frsky recommends not to power the receiver through the A2 analog port because damage could occur. Don't know if that was the case.
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Is that D6FR? If so, frsky recommends not to power the receiver through the A2 analog port because damage could occur. Don't know if that was the case.
That is also easy to do accidently! Especially if you take the "case" off!!
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Then, the others who publish 100mW, how are they complying ?.
They're quoting ERP, or they won't comply (unless with 0dB antenna)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:16 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
They're quoting ERP, or they won't comply (unless with 0dB antenna)
Why would the antenna matter? If I output 100mw through a patch antenna, it's still 100mw with a whip.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Why would the antenna matter? If I output 100mw through a patch antenna, it's still 100mw with a whip.
Because the legal limit on output is ERP - ie the limit is on radiated RF power.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:00 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
This is verry conserning to me as I have invested much in the FrSky system. I think I will hold off the aditional rx s I was going to buy untill this is sorted out a bit
Goldsworthy--- you are in friggin Arizona . right? Just south of Hell. What are you worried about cold for? (jk)

It's COLD up here -- I fly ALOT in the cold. Never had a balky receiver of any make due to cold - and I have a huge stable of receivers and planes. Once -- just recently -- I had my first cold related failure (other than my fingers). It was a servo. When I go back to work next week I'll give it a careful exam in the scope - I expect to find a flaky solder joint - I'm like Ivory soap on that. Same for the receiver issue.

Bottom line -- Don't worry. It's an isolated instance and FrSKY is doing the responsible thing by doing a thorough examination -- certainly in a stereo microscope -- so they learn where the problem started and minimize their failure rate. (all products have a failure rate -- FrSKY's rates are very low).
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:50 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
That is also easy to do accidently! Especially if you take the "case" off!!
I've tried all the ports. I don't think I've ever powered it through that port though. I may have drawn power from it, but I haven't used the port to power the receiver. Trust me, it's not plugged in upside down and I have tried all other ports.

So if the voltage reg is getting hot, can I replace it or is it something else that should be replaced instead?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,468 Posts
WiseDuck. are you sure you never powered the receiver reversed ?
Based on the plug I see in the picture, a mistake is easily possible.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:38 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,197 Posts
Someone mentioned using frsky in expensive models I am already doing that in both large scale petrol and Turbine, so do hope the temp is not an issue.

I dont expect it to be, and do remember flying in freezing conditions last year albeit with small models and had no issues, but would like a comment from Frsky themselves.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer