HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
This is verry conserning to me as I have invested much in the FrSky system. I think I will hold off the aditional rx s I was going to buy untill this is sorted out a bit
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:17 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
u2builder,
Please post the two receivers back to us directly if you have not sent them to Aloft Hobbies yet, or Wayne will do instead if you already have, so that we could take a look into it immediately.
I mailed these off to Wayne on Monday.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:22 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I did a whole bunch of searches trying to find out what makes the frsky system have so much more range than the competitors, but I didn't find anything. With an output power of 60mw, you'd think it would be short range compared to spektrum's 200mw output. I see many people getting over 2.5 km with frsky and only a few with other radios.

So, what is the actual reason behind the longer range?
Wrong reasoning, not the Tx power make the difference, but receiver sensitivity, and antennas.
Any ham (amateur radio) can tell you this.
Frsky receivers are made with real performance chips, not wireless mouse chips, as Spek.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
... With an output power of 60mw, you'd think it would be short range compared to spektrum's 200mw output.
60mW plus the standard antenna gain of 2.2dB is actually the maximum power allowed in Europe. (and other places, I thought).
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:07 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
So my 6ch telemetry receiver from FrSky doesn't work. It will bind, but it won't connect. I've hooked it up to a 1S lipo to test it.. Nope, still doesn't work. And then I noticed that this part here is too hot to touch, I can hold my finger on it for about a 2 seconds, but that's it.

Surely that can't be normal? Or is it? I'll post a video soon of how the LED blinks when it's trying to connect.

WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:14 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,171 Posts
I try to not even get out of bed if the outside temp is below 5c! - Let alone go flying!
-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
These reports are getting disturbing! I had planed to use these receivers in real expensive equipment!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are on about. I've flown in temps around -20C or so. This flight was in roughly -15 C. About 5 Fahrenheit. Haven't had any issues with my FrSky system, ever.

EDIT: Er, well, until now of course. I have a dead receiver, but that's about it really. I removed it from a quad, next thing I know, it's misbehaving.

TBS Discovery - Just another video (3 min 24 sec)
Last edited by WiseDuck; Jan 04, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:34 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Anyways, here is my problem. Like I mentioned in the post above, one part gets really hot. I don't know if this is normal. This is what mine is doing right now, can anyone explain why it's doing this?

FrSky 6ch receiver problem (0 min 54 sec)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:45 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,749 Posts
Nice video shame about your reciever has it died at room temp or while cold ?

The trouble is that IF (and it's a big if) we do have a problem with solder joints going open circuit at low temperatures then just because its survived once at low temperatures doesn't mean it will go on surviving.
likewise thermal cycling can cause solder joints with poor metailisation to fail.
But I think we should see what Frsky have to say once they have had the dodgy ones back for test before we all get too excited.

Maybe it's not the time to test a new and expensive model though.

I would expect that other brands have hit the same issue, it's a common problem with surface mounted components especially since the introduction of lead free solder.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:48 PM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
60mW plus the standard antenna gain of 2.2dB is actually the maximum power allowed in Europe. (and other places, I thought).
Max allowed is 100 mW EIRP in Europa.
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:55 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
It died at room temp. (Stopped working a couple of months ago, in the late summer, so it hasn't been used in temps below 10-15) I used to have it on my TBS Discovery. I took it apart because I wanted to change some parts, put it together again only to find that it no longer worked. I do believe it's been through one crash, but as far as I can remember it still worked after the crash.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:01 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
These reports are getting disturbing! I had planed to use these receivers in real expensive equipment!
How many such reports have we had? Two? Let's just see the outcome before jumping to conclusions.

I don't know about you, but I would never fly ANY receiver in expensive equipment until I had flown it a few times in something I was not so concerned about. The first thing I do with a new receiver is test it, first on the ground and then in the air. In the past five years, I have found four defective receivers (none of them FrSky).

As for the temperature issue, I've seen no problems so far, but as a matter of good practice will make a point of testing my receivers before flying them below freezing.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:08 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
I would expect that other brands have hit the same issue, it's a common problem with surface mounted components especially since the introduction of lead free solder.
A guy at our flying club lost his $10,000 40% Extra when it suddenly lost radio contact and flew away. When he recovered the wreckage he was able to determine that the problem was caused by his FUTABA RX cutting out when it got above around 130F in the cockpit, heated by the sun into the canopy and the mufflers. These things happen.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
A guy at our flying club lost his $10,000 40% Extra when it suddenly lost radio contact and flew away. When he recovered the wreckage he was able to determine that the problem was caused by his FUTABA RX cutting out when it got above around 130F in the cockpit, heated by the sun into the canopy and the mufflers. These things happen.
WOW! I bet he was mad!