HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,393 Posts
Could anyone check my board R 22 is missing is that how all tx boards look like with a missing r22?.

I opened it up to make sure my tx antenna wire wasnt twisted on the inside and saw this but wasnt sure if thats what its supposed to look like.it looks like a after thought!
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
Not sure up to which point the DFT and DJT layout is identical - but my DJT has no R22 either. Doesn't look removed after manufacturing like yours, but then my module might be newer.

EDIT: BTW, look at C65-C68, not fitted either.

Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2010
955 Posts
Does it still work?
Lots of boards are missing components for man reasons, market differences, performance, etc.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Could anyone check my board R 22 is missing is that how all tx boards look like with a missing r22?.

I opened it up to make sure my tx antenna wire wasnt twisted on the inside and saw this but wasnt sure if thats what its supposed to look like.it looks like a after thought!
I asked FrSky about that a long time ago and they [Eva] said R22 is supposed to be empty.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,393 Posts
Yes it works just fine was curious to know if that was normal..Its a DFT close to a year old. Kilrah, whats with the resistor mod is that for telemetry?
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Last edited by Nelapaty; Dec 15, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wonder why FrsKy doesn't sell these type antennas if they make the product work so much better?
ahh, for 'legal' reasons...

the standards are for 'ERP'.. Effective Radiated Power. If you increase the gain of the antenna, you're -supposed- to reduce the power output of the transmitter. (No-one does...)

and..

for reliablility of the link (connection). As antennas get higher in gain, the angle they radiate out of decreases.
think of it like this:
Slide a doughnut over your antenna. Thats kind of like the radiating pattern...
Now, take that dougnut, and squash it till its half, or quarter the height..
Sure, at the largest point its much wider (effectively giving better range)
BUT...
it doesnt radiate as much up or down any more. So the (right)angle of the stick to the position of the receiver starts becoming critical.

properly aligned, you get better range than stock.
Improperly aligned, you get less range than stock.

**there's no such thing as a free lunch...

I used to make these: (for 2.4GHz)
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Last edited by rcroadtrain; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:25 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wonder why FrsKy doesn't sell these type antennas if they make the product work so much better?
If you are flying Line of Sight - I'm guessing 1 mile is probably adequate. I use a 5db antenna which extends range, but I have to be careful how it's oriented with respect to the aircraft or I'll end up with a LOS moment. I've found if I point antenna directly at the ground or my head it's the best orientation.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Yes it works just fine was curious to know if that was normal..Its a DFT close to a year old. Kilrah, whats with the resistor mod is that for telemetry?
Yes. This is to route the serial data through the 2 unused module pins into my 9x.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:02 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Slide a doughnut over your antenna. Thats kind of like the radiating pattern...
Now, take that dougnut, and squash it till its half, or quarter the height..
Sure, at the largest point its much wider (effectively giving better range)
BUT...
it doesnt radiate as much up or down any more. So the (right)angle of the stick to the position of the receiver starts becoming critical.

properly aligned, you get better range than stock.
Improperly aligned, you get less range than stock.

**there's no such thing as a free lunch...
What a great explanation. Thanks! Makes total sense.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Hello!

Origin FW not send telemetry datas via side port! Therefore need update for CPPM (and telemetry send) FW version.
The result is:
7ch normal PPM
+1ch CPPM
+telemetry datas via side port (for RSSI-DAC converter)!

BR!
Istvan
from Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Both receivers have exactly identical hardware, only the firmware is different (offers PPM and RSSI on the XP), and you can flash a II-Plus with the XP's firmware if you want.

It looks like I am going to need to flash the II-Plus with the XP firmware according to the first quote. Could you (Kilrah or someone) link me to the proper firmware to use. Since I have never "flashed" anything can someone link me to the proper procedure to be followed. This is a big learning curve! Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
881 Posts
New Question:

Considering that a report of Tx module failure occurred by means of operating the module repeatedly without an antenna, and the Rx is also a transceiver can the Rx be damaged by means of having the Rx antenna[s] disconnected during operation?

I had been making dipoles and CP antennas and may have hot swapped them when range testing. Would the receive side be affected by loss of the transmit side? I've had an unusual problem with an D6FR where it would be fine for ~5 min then seem to go into failsafe.This happened twice causing some damage to the plane. Also noticed was that one or both of the Rx antennas were loose or disconnected after the last crash. Possibly they disconnected while shifting things around prior to flight though it did range test fine, or vibration in flight may have loosened them.

Other points of investigation are the ESC which was changed prior to the second dork, and a Flightmax battery that was barely able to maintain 10C without dropping to 10v. [bad cell? now trashed] Flightmax 2650mah D4023-850 with an 11*7 drawing 20-25A from a Zen 40A ESC.

I may trash that Rx anyway but I don't want to buy new ones pending the release of the new hardware for X9D and PXX.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
New Question:

Considering that a report of Tx module failure occurred by means of operating the module repeatedly without an antenna, and the Rx is also a transceiver can the Rx be damaged by means of having the Rx antenna[s] disconnected during operation?
This is not an answer to your question, but rather a followup to my report that I trashed my TX module by swapping antennas when the radio was on. In addition to the replies on this forum that suggested this could damage the module, a friend I discussed this with this weekend also confirms that it does, by damaging the output transistors. He said on a Jr radio he owns there is a big WARNING in the manual that says NOT to remove the antenna when the radio is on.

It does seem possible that your two way receiver could also have been damaged if both antennas were removed at the same time.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
This is not an answer to your question, but rather a followup to my report that I trashed my TX module by swapping antennas when the radio was on. In addition to the replies on this forum that suggested this could damage the module, a friend I discussed this with this weekend also confirms that it does, by damaging the output transistors. He said on a Jr radio he owns there is a big WARNING in the manual that says NOT to remove the antenna when the radio is on.

It does seem possible that your two way receiver could also have been damaged if both antennas were removed at the same time.
That is correct because in fact, we are not using stand alone transmitters and receivers with telemetry -- they are transceivers. -- so removing the antenna with a transceiver ON will have the same deleterious effect to the transmitting portion of the transceiver as it would to a stand alone transmitter.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,426 Posts
You might get away with it because the power output from the receiver is lower, and it does not transmit as much information so the duty cycle is lower. All of which means less heat that has to be dissipated.

But not a good idea to operate it without a load to take away the RF energy.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
It looks like I am going to need to flash the II-Plus with the XP firmware according to the first quote. Could you (Kilrah or someone) link me to the proper firmware to use. Since I have never "flashed" anything can someone link me to the proper procedure to be followed. This is a big learning curve! Thanks.
There you go:

Procedure
http://code.google.com/p/uavp-mods/w...SkyProgramming

Firmware:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download.asp
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez