HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
SAME price as the old system ?! There must be a mistake !
LE: Just got a confirmation the prices are not valid, just placeholders by copy-paste the old combo position.
Will be updated today.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jul 08, 2010 at 02:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:42 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,344 Posts
Not from HiModel. Price is about $88 for Telemetry set and $52 for non-Telemetry set.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:23 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
As mine, but for EU customers only.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:40 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
As mine, but for EU customers only.
Can you comment on the Futaba module in the Robbe FX-30? I'm considering moving that way, and it would be good to know ahead of ordering one...
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
I assume you mean the telemetry version, else a DIY hack module is available right now.
I posted a Futaba module uncased some days ago. You need PPM from your radio and that's all.
If you want more than 8 channels, and afford to wait for fall, and pay more then there will be a Fasst compatible line (with telemetry !) featuring the 14ch receiver.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:24 AM
Land Below the Wind
Joined May 2007
103 Posts
Besides the vast difference in price, is there any significant difference in performance between the USB cable and the RS232/Serial PC Cable for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System?
ebusyman is offline Find More Posts by ebusyman
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:51 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
The telemetry sets are shipping, but I really think that FrSky need to get some accessories for them on the market quickly. As it comes, the only feedback is when it gets near the limit of it's range. Battery voltage sensing should be easy to implement for users who can knock up a voltage divider and solder a couple of resistors into a servo cable.
Beyond that, the telemetry market will be limited to electronics wizz kids.
With modern esc's incorporating battery sensing and voltage monitoring, surely it wouldn't take much to produce an auto-sensing battery monitor capable of working out the type and size of pack fitted, and generating the trigger levels to give say a two minute warning rather than the esc's lvc?
How about fuel level sensors, a single or double LED array to be attached to the tank giving a trigger when the fuel gets low?
I'd be interested to know whether Hitec's sensor station will be 'adaptable' for use with FrSky 2 way sets.

As for compatability, the 2 way TX module has a neat mini DIL switch for configuration, one switch giving 1 way/2 way rx modes. Anyone know what sort of life expectancy these type of switches have in frequent use applications?
Also the bind/range button is now much harder to activate accidentally while still easy enough to use intentionally. The fit in my Hitec Optic also seems better than my first gen 1 case was.

Bob
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:56 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusyman View Post
Besides the vast difference in price, is there any significant difference in performance between the USB cable and the RS232/Serial PC Cable for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System?
Please, don't consider at all the actual prices from HiModel ! They are fake, in revision, just copy-paste of the old standard combo !
The USB cable will be in the $12-15 ballpark, and the voltage sensor $4-5.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:09 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
OK, the right prices are up at HiModel:
Telemetry DFT/D8R $94.30
RX-D8R FrSky Two-way 2.4G 8-Channel Receiver D8R $42.75
Battery Voltage Sensor for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System $5.03 Out of Stock
RS232/Serial PC Cable for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System $3.25
USB Cable for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System $14.59 Out of Stock
Old Jul 08, 2010, 05:50 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
The telemetry sets are shipping, but I really think that FrSky need to get some accessories for them on the market quickly. As it comes, the only feedback is when it gets near the limit of it's range. Battery voltage sensing should be easy to implement for users who can knock up a voltage divider and solder a couple of resistors into a servo cable.
Beyond that, the telemetry market will be limited to electronics wizz kids.
With modern esc's incorporating battery sensing and voltage monitoring, surely it wouldn't take much to produce an auto-sensing battery monitor capable of working out the type and size of pack fitted, and generating the trigger levels to give say a two minute warning rather than the esc's lvc?
How about fuel level sensors, a single or double LED array to be attached to the tank giving a trigger when the fuel gets low?
I'd be interested to know whether Hitec's sensor station will be 'adaptable' for use with FrSky 2 way sets.

As for compatability, the 2 way TX module has a neat mini DIL switch for configuration, one switch giving 1 way/2 way rx modes. Anyone know what sort of life expectancy these type of switches have in frequent use applications?
Also the bind/range button is now much harder to activate accidentally while still easy enough to use intentionally. The fit in my Hitec Optic also seems better than my first gen 1 case was.

Bob
I happened to email Frsky for your accessories question. They said that they are working on them and will release accessories in the future.
bluety is offline Find More Posts by bluety
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:45 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluety View Post
I happened to email Frsky for your accessories question. They said that they are working on them and will release accessories in the future.
'in the future', much like Hitec, it is working for them and doesn't seem to have slowed sales down
Anyone know what capabilities the battery monitor will have?
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:51 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
182 Posts
Does anyone know if FrSky are going to release a 2.4G DIY/Hack module in the telemetry version?
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:09 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,025 Posts
Quote:
'in the future', much like Hitec, it is working for them and doesn't seem to have slowed sales down
The comparation with Hitec is cynical, to say the least...
I left Hitec exactly for this reason, they are close, I want to build my own system and can't. Here at least you have a chance... if you are ready to learn.
Complaining is not RTF on the shelf is far from this hobby spirit.

Any of the two ADCs feature an alarm trigger level, set from factory at mid range, i.e. 3.3V / 2 = 1.65V. You can reprogram it at 2V for example, using the provided app on the CD. For the default alarm trigger, to monitor a pack, you need two resistors having the value ratio as:
(low level voltage - 1.65V) / 1.65V
For example for a 3S pack and low voltage alarm at, say 3.3V, the resistor ratios should be:
(3 * 3.3-1.65) / 1.65 = 5
So, any resistor divisor as 1k and 5k or similar will do the trick.
The same must be done for Hitec too, I mean get a servo connector and do your OWN soldering, less resistors. But you have a single voltage only, FrSky has two
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Quote:
Believe me, technically, developing current/voltage sensors is much easier compared to developing a reliable 2.4G module. If FrSKY can have their telemetry module done in a few months, a set of sensor and sensor hub can be done in a very short time.

BTW Xjet has already posted his DIY hub and ground monitor for FrSKY. Since FrSky telemetry is open, you should not worry about the accessories, Model guys are always will to share (or show off?) their fancy device design .

bluety is offline Find More Posts by bluety
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:09 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The comparation with Hitec is cynical, to say the least...
I left Hitec exactly for this reason, they are close, I want to build my own system and can't. Here at least you have a chance... if you are ready to learn.
Complaining is not RTF on the shelf is far from this hobby spirit.
Hi Renatao, please don't get me wrong. I am not complaining, just curious as to what modules will be available and when, A battery monitor would be easy enough even for a simpleton like me, as I've pointed out elsewhere. Like many in this hobby I'm not an electronics guru, I don't have the background, time or inclination to work out how to use the RS232 facilities. It seems Hitec have made a selling point of the telemetry, but from what I can see their accessories are pretty much planned 'future releases', not yet executed. I see ads, but always oos. I'd hate to see FrSky in the same boat. Yes, plenty of people are developing their own solutions, but to compete in the wider RC market, FrSky need off-the-shelf answers. Their gear is good enough, I've not had a glitch or failsafe since I got my hands on it(see the very first post in this thread for when that was), but most people want plug'n'play, not vapour ware whatever the brand on the label.
Personally, I'd like to see a low fuel level warning sensor, if that happens then great. If not I'll certainly play with the Hitec unit in an attempt to make it work with FrSky, but I'd likely blow a few up in the learning process. Past experience talking there!

ps "Complaining is not RTF on the shelf is far from this hobby spirit." - I'm afraid that for a large number of modellers these days you are very wrong!
Last edited by BrumBob; Jul 08, 2010 at 11:17 AM.