SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Its a 2200mah 2S. And check this guy out, he's pushing 80+ km with the 1 W booster.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439219
So, you are providing all your power needs for both your radio as well as your 1w booster with a 2200mah2S battery?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
From FrSky Facebook:
"""FrSky 2nd generation Variometer (with S.PORT and BRIDGE function) is available. High precision up to 0.1 meter!"""

Anyone seen it? (Focus on "is available".) I did not find it in any eshop I know. There's no information on frsky-rc.com neither.
Yeah, not sure who posted that.. They have not been made available to us yet. I do know they were very close to being ready a few weeks ago, but they did not know when. I guess we might be able to get them in our next order...? I'll try and get them in for you all.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,440 Posts
Antenna less than booster.
Antenna: from 2 to 14dB = 12dB = 4x range
Booster: from 14 to 30dB = 16dB = 6x range (aprox)
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Booster: from 14 to 30dB = 16dB = 6x range (aprox)
FrSky spec is 60mW = 18dBm, not 14
Although I found that actual output power from FrSky modules could vary quite a bit, and some are indeed closer to 30mW.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
So, you are providing all your power needs for both your radio as well as your 1w booster with a 2200mah2S battery?
Yes, just regulating it down to 5V for the booster.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
FrSky spec is 60mW = 18dBm, not 14
Although I found that actual output power from FrSky modules could vary quite a bit, and some are indeed closer to 30mW.
Based on the cert that Renatoa posted a couple pages back, I calculated about 6.5 x range. But, yes, there are many other factors involved and ElCheapo obviously knows what he's doing. I'm not trying to set distance records, just trying to have a solid link within 1-2 miles.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,440 Posts
1-2 miles, Ok, let do some math...
If ElCheapo would remove the 14dB antenna and booster tomorrow, then his range will be 80 / 4 / 6.5 = about 3km. Here are your 1-2 miles !
This is an achievable range with naked Frsky, I can certify myself, and some other who were able to reach 5km with the 5dB stick or the 7 dB patch, and , more important, good dipole antennas at receiver side. Or, 8km with CP antennas at both sides
Also, an important factor is to use 5.8GHz on video, not 1.3Ghz, which make your life a lot harder regarding video Tx filtering and RC-video separation.
Using a booster doesn't add safety, exactly the contrary !
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
1-2 miles, Ok, let do some math...
If ElCheapo would remove the 14dB antenna and booster tomorrow, then his range will be 80 / 4 / 6.5 = about 3km. Here are your 1-2 miles !
This is an achievable range with naked Frsky, I can certify myself, and some other who were able to reach 5km with the 5dB stick or the 7 dB patch, and , more important, good dipole antennas at receiver side. Or, 8km with CP antennas at both sides
Also, an important factor is to use 5.8GHz on video, not 1.3Ghz, which make your life a lot harder regarding video Tx filtering and RC-video separation.
Using a booster doesn't add safety, exactly the contrary !
Thanks, I was getting rssi beeps at 500-1000 ft sometimes without the booster on both my quads, one with 1.3 GHz video and one with 5.8. Now, with my initial testing I still got some beeps with my 1.3 quad, even with a lpf on the video. Haven't gotten any yet on the 5.8 quad. But, I was already thinking i should do more work on improving the frsky antennas and maybe switching the 1.3 quad to 5.8, since I have an extra 5.8 tx. The booster isn't really giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. It does add more possible failure points.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Yeah, not sure who posted that.. They have not been made available to us yet. I do know they were very close to being ready a few weeks ago, but they did not know when. I guess we might be able to get them in our next order...? I'll try and get them in for you all.

-Wayne
Wayne, Does this vario need the hub, or can it be directly connected to the receiver??

Thanks,
Joćo
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
and , more important, good dipole antennas at receiver side.
Where does one find dipole antennas for FRSKY?

I did some range testing today with my FRSKY V8R7SP on a DJI 550 and 450. Both have Immersion 600 mW 5.8 TX on them. On the hex the VTX antenna is on top and the RX antenna is on the bottom, separated by the plates of the machine. On the quad they are both on the bottom and pretty close together. On both of these machines the controller blinks when the signal is lost. In both cases the motors were not powered up. In both cases the machine was on a plastic bucket about 30 inches above the ground. I pressed the button on the module on my radio to go to the range check mode (1/30 range). On the hex I got about 50 meters of range with the transmitter held at waist level and interestingly about 100 meters with the radio held above my head. I tried the 7dbi patch antenna and it seemed to give about 30 percent more range, but lost signal about 30 degrees to either side of the centerline when at maximum range and it was also sensitive to the vertical orientation of the patch. On the hex it made no difference whether the VTX was on or off.

On the quad the range was about 40 meters or less than half that of the hex. I could not unplug the VTX as it is on the same battery as the RX. Whether this accounts for the reduced range or the proximity of the VTX and the RX antennas (about 6") is not clear. It is probably the latter. I need to experiment. There is very little room on the quad to move things as I have the batteries on top.

I had read that having "straight" antennas at 90 degrees was best so I tried putting nylon control rod enclosures over the covered part of the antennas but not over the active element and oriented them at 90 degrees. This was not a good idea. In the quad it reduced the range to only about 10 meters, and in the hex to about 25 meters. I removed the plastic and the range came back to normal.

I would like to explore dipole antennas for the RX if someone could link me to some that would work. I don't think I am going to use the 7dbi patch as it is too sensitive to orientation and with goggles on I don't really know where I am "pointing".
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,440 Posts
You can build yourself, check the 2.4GHz receiver dipole antennas thread, or buy the 40/60cm antennas from alofthobbies, they come now built as dipoles.

On a multicopter I would place both antennas vertical with tip pointing down to ground, in the middle of two opposite arms. These long fed antennas allows this placement. The 90 degrees theory is no more valid on platforms that are level 99% of time, it is for acro flight.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
On a multicopter I would place both antennas vertical with tip pointing down to ground, in the middle of two opposite arms.
Yes, this is what I am trying to "train" them to do. But I will look into the dipoles from Aloft right now.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:09 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
You can build yourself, check the 2.4GHz receiver dipole antennas thread, or buy the 40/60cm antennas from alofthobbies, they come now built as dipoles.

On a multicopter I would place both antennas vertical with tip pointing down to ground, in the middle of two opposite arms. These long fed antennas allows this placement. The 90 degrees theory is no more valid on platforms that are level 99% of time, it is for acro flight.
Are you saying this one is a dipole? If so, that might also add to why I got better results with my 5.8 quad. I have the 40 cm routed through a straw sticking up above the center plate. i saw the thread about making your own and was going to do that, but do these give the same results?
http://www.alofthobbies.com/40cm-receiver-antenna.html

Man, I need to study up on my antenna book...
Last edited by Cervanchez; Nov 26, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Wayne, Does this vario need the hub, or can it be directly connected to the receiver??

Thanks,
Joćo
Yes, that is my understanding. Hopefully I'll find out more soon.

-Wayne

p.s. Thanks all for the orders.. Busy day today!!
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Renatoa is there a reason for the tip pointing down?, on my TBS Disco I have them both attached to the outside of the same nylon control rod tubing tx part facing up and telemtry part facing down. im using the 40cm antenna it actually improved my range.

Unfortunately I have 1280GHz video link. the stock antenna's were really bad I lost signal then I tried the 40cm antenna and everything was back to normal but Id like a little more range currently I can only go up to 643 meters which is like .4miles before my rssi starts beeping need to try a patch on the tx see if that helps..

Also what happens to telemetry when you add a booster to the tx lets say 500mw..
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Last edited by Nelapaty; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:38 PM.