SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
46 Posts
Well i'll be a monkey's uncle. You were right. Got it working. Now onto the firmware flashing with my smartieparts board. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
There is no blinking green light on the RX at any stage. When RX is working normally (bound and with signal from transmitter), the light is solid green. If TX is off, you get flashing red.

There shouldn't be any need for videos.

The jumpers are not involved in binding.
dalton1981 is offline Find More Posts by dalton1981
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post

Also, you really should have bought the D8R-II Plus receiver with the DJT. That V8 receiver lacks the main advantage of the FrSky system.
Funny thing about that - if they ever stop selling the V series then I will probably switch to another brand.

D series:
a) use a lot more power
b) In many cases interfere with airborne servos

I have way more V than D, perhaps I should stock up?

Main advantages for me are good RF performance, long antennae and reasonable price. Telemetry - just a gimmick

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Levictus's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Main advantages for me are good RF performance, long antennae and reasonable price. Telemetry - just a gimmick

Pat MacKenzie
Gimmick?!?! If the only system that sends you an audible alarm when you are approaching signal loss (RSSI) is a gimmick then...well I don't even know what to say about that. It is probably the single largest advantage with this system. As far as price, the V8 costs like a buck or two less...

Sorry, the D8RII is $5-6 bucks more
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Last edited by Levictus; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
I meant low price relative to systems with similar RF performance, Futaba, JR or Airtronics come to mind.
The "other brand" (starts with S) not so much

I agree the price difference between D and V is not a big deal. (I would pay more for V if it came to that)

On the planes I have D series in most of the beeps are spurious, and don't really give good indication of range. It will beep in fairly close, then be silent when far out.

Normal range check is just fine for checking installation. Never had any sign with my V series that range was a problem. Rock solid.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Funny thing about that - if they ever stop selling the V series then I will probably switch to another brand. Pat MacKenzie
I sent Chase Wu a PM a while ago suggesting that an upgraded version of the V8R7SP with RSSI would be useful to FPV pilots who had other telemetry already available. Some have modded the V8R7SP to provide RSSI but this is well beyond my abilities.

His reply:

Quote:
I have talked your suggest to our products developing team already, as far as i know, we will release new generation receiver, which will content with all the requirement, sum ppm out put, separate rssi support etec.
I am hopeful that Frsky might actually make this product even though others think it to be unlikely. I think a lot of folks who are into FPV and want RSSI but don't need Telemetry would really like it.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Levictus's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
I think it is awesome that FrSky actually listens to their customers. So rare in this day and age...that's why the new tx line is going to be great...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
|Taranis|
scott page's Avatar
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
I think it is awesome that FrSky actually listens to their customers. So rare in this day and age...that's why the new tx line is going to be great...
As long as the customers realize that each pilots individual desires won't necessarily be met, but the product or the group intellect will no doubt be better than one conceived by a few.

And, yes. FrSKY folks have very good hearing and understanding. They are driven by a passion to produce the best product at a price that will enable the masses to partake of the hobby.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I am having a little trouble with my FriSky, my 9x and a NAZA F450. Things don't come to me easy these days due to my health. I managed to bind my RX with the 9X radio and am in the proses of hooking it all together. I used the NAZA software to calibrate my stick movement with no trouble. I then got to the next step, setting up the Atti mode/ NAZA fail safe, and manual mode on the NAZA set up screen . I can not get this part to work! I wish to set the mode selection to the 3 way switch on the 9x. I know to some of you folks setting up a TX is child's play but to me its hard. Any help with this will be appreciated!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:04 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Rotozuk's Avatar
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
On the planes I have D series in most of the beeps are spurious, and don't really give good indication of range. It will beep in fairly close, then be silent when far out.

Normal range check is just fine for checking installation. Never had any sign with my V series that range was a problem. Rock solid.
I like how someone summed it up the other day. Radios without RSSI indicate an RF issue just fine. They lock into failsafe and crash. That is how you know you had an RF issue without RSSI feedback.

As for the servo issue, that is VERY rare. It is not a FrSky issue at all, but a problem with those servos and their poor driver board design.

RSSI saves planes. I personally will not fly without RSSI unless it is a micro. I have planes that have less than 200 mAH batteries, and I still have telemetry in them. The small battery load has not been an issue at all.

If you are getting beeps from your telemetry, then you have an issue. Flying V8 because they do not beep is like putting your head in the sand and hoping for the best.

Please keep in mind that RF issues are caused by a lot more than just distance!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:15 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
If you are getting beeps from your telemetry, then you have an issue. Flying V8 because they do not beep is like putting your head in the sand and hoping for the best.
The subject of occasional signal quality beeps has come up frequently in this thread, and the consensus was that it was not a problem. You were part of that consensus.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5723


Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
Bleriot's R Us
xairflyer's Avatar
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,035 Posts
I solved my occasional beeps by changing the TX antenna, I have three antennas and everyone is different.

Now we are back on this subject are the antennas on your broadband router the same thing?
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
I solved my occasional beeps by changing the TX antenna, I have three antennas and everyone is different.

Now we are back on this subject are the antennas on your broadband router the same thing?
are the antennas on your broadband router the same thing?[/ I would like to know this as well
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
KK4NZS
Nelapaty's Avatar
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,455 Posts
Yes I was getting occasional beeps flying FPV around me and no thats not what I normally do but I was getting a fair amount of beeps when I had the radio in front of me with the model behind me just because I was testing it

Im pretty sure I wont be flying too far but mainly medium ranges probably about a 100meters

But I would like to know if I should change out the tx antenna to a 2.4 5dbi whip will that help with the range..

Tbs Disco.
1 watt 1.3mhz tx
6 channel rx
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I am having a little trouble with my FriSky, my 9x and a NAZA F450. Things don't come to me easy these days due to my health. I managed to bind my RX with the 9X radio and am in the proses of hooking it all together. I used the NAZA software to calibrate my stick movement with no trouble. I then got to the next step, setting up the Atti mode/ NAZA fail safe, and manual mode on the NAZA set up screen . I can not get this part to work! I wish to set the mode selection to the 3 way switch on the 9x. I know to some of you folks setting up a TX is child's play but to me its hard. Any help with this will be appreciated!
Bump
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
As for the draw of 2 way receivers, all they need to do is have a way to turn it off and you'll have the same as a 'V' series receiver.


As for the current draw, I put one of the D4R in my CX2 and it does use 30mAh more on average but it wasn't a deal breaker. the 400mAh battery still got me over an hour of contest flying. Other than the occassional single beeps, I had no indications of loss of control and all went well.

I liked having the RSSI and battery voltage available to me so I could keep close tabs on them.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review The video for FrSky 2.4Ghz Chase Wu Radios 0 Dec 16, 2009 01:18 AM
Discussion Realflight G5 Combat so far so good! splitpilot Simulators 0 Nov 22, 2009 06:36 AM
Discussion So far... So good rikks Mini Helis 35 Feb 17, 2006 12:42 PM
Aerofly Deluxe so far so good! Gary Morris Simulators 5 Aug 19, 2005 07:23 AM
Schulze 18.46K v7.02 - so far, so good! Jason M Electric Heli Talk 4 Aug 11, 2002 01:25 AM