HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:19 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boagy View Post
I notice that FrSky 4, 7 & 8 channel receivers have a operating voltage range of 4.8 - 6 volts.

Does this rule out the capability of using 2 cell LiFePO4 packs (6.6v) to power the receivers.

Steve
I should have been clearer. I was referring to the old Rx's. I realise the new Rx's will have higher operating voltage (3v - 16v).

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Well, we are talking about 3 different product lines:
- the actual line, that is on sale right now, you said they are speced as 4.8-6V, probably you are right, and I can't speak about them
- the near future (this week ?) telemetry enabled line, which are speced as 4-7.2V
- the future HV (High Voltage) line, non telemetry only, so far, probably on sale in August, rated as you wrote above, up to 16V. There is a very small possibility that the 8ch receiver from HV line have dual power port, as Hitec.
There is no HV and telemetry announced so far, as I know.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jun 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
If the telemetry Rx can handle 2 LiPOs, that would be good enough for me
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
If the telemetry Rx can handle 2 LiPOs, that would be good enough for me
Note that per FrSky's compatibility table, the telemetry-capable Rx only works with the telemetry-capable Tx.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:11 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
I wonder about the PPM voltage the FrSky module expects.

I have 2 limit cases in mind:

1. Driving the module from a sound card output: 1.2 volt
2. Driving the module from a PPM inverter a-la
Various reports suggest that the module is happy with signals going either way (i.e. it does not require inversion regardless of your transmitter's PPM polarity).

The output from your soundcard may be a bit marginal. I don't have the DIY module handy to check, but if I had to guess I'd expect they're using a passive voltage limiter protecting a 3.3v logic input.

Logical 1 for low-voltage CMOS is usually half the supply voltage, or 1.65v in the 3.3v case. You should check the MSP431 datasheet.

= Mike
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Almada - Portugal
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
I have an antenna broked (8ch Rx), where can I by a new one for replacement?
Rpinto is offline Find More Posts by Rpinto
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
See Robbe Futaba replacement antennas, two for 10 Eur or so.
http://www.europemodels.eu/src_R606-6014/
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZiplok View Post
Various reports suggest that the module is happy with signals going either way (i.e. it does not require inversion regardless of your transmitter's PPM polarity).
Check.

Quote:
The output from your soundcard may be a bit marginal.
It works with Spektrum, Futaba and Hitec modules. No response so far from the FrySky module.

Quote:
I don't have the DIY module handy to check, but if I had to guess I'd expect they're using a passive voltage limiter protecting a 3.3v logic input.

Logical 1 for low-voltage CMOS is usually half the supply voltage, or 1.65v in the 3.3v case. You should check the MSP431 datasheet.
I am not clear on your sugestion. I can interpret it as a recommendation to use an op-amp to bring the signal up to 1.65v, or an observation that FrSky modules uses one.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
A guess that 1.65V is the Frsky pulse trigering level, thus an input swing under this value could be not sensed.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:32 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
I am not clear on your sugestion. I can interpret it as a recommendation to use an op-amp to bring the signal up to 1.65v, or an observation that FrSky modules uses one.
Ari, sorry I wasn't clearer.

I would use a level shifter of some sort to convert your 0/1.2v swing up to 0/3.3. If you use an op-amp, be sure to configure for plenty of hysteresis, as the range for logic zero is fairly small. Alternatively, a level shifter specifically designed for interfacing between 1.2 and 3.3v circuits would do the job.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3007

It would be good to hear from Jonathan or one of the other FrSky technical folks re: the actual input levels supported by the module.

= Mike
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:07 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Are two-way modules/receivers on their way to the dealers? None of the ones I've visited online have the telemetry systems in stock. I am eagerly awaiting these products, and like others don't want to spend money on one-way tx modules at this point.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:26 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
You have pictures of the uncased module in the other thread, devoted entirely to telemetry stuff, done by some beta testers.
It is very accesible to DIY, actually me too I am using a mockup consisting in using a JR uncased module board in the back module hole of a Futaba 9C.
Hey Renato, my beta test Futaba Telemetry module (and RX) has now been 'hacked' into a friends Turnigy 9X TX. No problems, but for making sure the +12V is swapped to the correct pin. He knows he's only ever got the one orphan beta RX for it but was still keen to try it.
The main point is that the module took the inverted JR logic and didn't care... Nice.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Are two-way modules/receivers on their way to the dealers? None of the ones I've visited online have the telemetry systems in stock. I am eagerly awaiting these products, and like others don't want to spend money on one-way tx modules at this point.
I believe they are ready. It's worth waiting a little longer.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:34 AM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Ari, sorry I wasn't clearer.

I would use a level shifter of some sort to convert your 0/1.2v swing up to 0/3.3. If you use an op-amp, be sure to configure for plenty of hysteresis, as the range for logic zero is fairly small. Alternatively, a level shifter specifically designed for interfacing between 1.2 and 3.3v circuits would do the job.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3007

It would be good to hear from Jonathan or one of the other FrSky technical folks re: the actual input levels supported by the module.

= Mike
Hi Mike,
That should be above 1.65V.

Regards!
Eva
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu