HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I down loaded the instruction manual for the D8RII-Plus and it does not mention an RSSI signal but that doesn't really mean it doesn't have it.

I also down loaded the instruction manual for the D8R-XP and it has two types of outputs. One is RSSI (PWM) and the other is CPPM depending on how you use jumpers.

There is a telemetry screen from FrSky called the FLD-02 that plugs into the transmitter modual (DFT/DJT) which uses an RSSI signal to display data and is supposed to get data from the D8RII Rx.

After checking out all the Turnigy 9X and Flysky 9X hardware I determined the Flysky was a better deal.

I just purchased a FlySky FS-TH9x/TH9B TX with the V2 software and the FS-R8B Rx for about $70. I also ordered a Frsky DJT Tx module for $25 and a D8R-XP Rx for $29 so I could have the telemetry. Shipping for all 3 items was $13.50. Total cost about $137.50. The seller is called Parkeflyer out of Texas.

I'll let you all know how it works when I get it.

Vince
Thanks. I own the ParkeFlyer 9X (Turnigy 9X + LCD backlight + ER9X + Life bat).

I don't trust the products manuals either, that's why I thought I would ask for information here.

Section 3.1.3 of this manual does mention 'output for...link quality'. But of course that's somewhat cryptic.
http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2...1121837352.pdf
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Thanks. I own the ParkeFlyer 9X (Turnigy 9X + LCD backlight + ER9X + Life bat).

I don't trust the products manuals either, that's why I thought I would ask for information here.

Section 3.1.3 of this manual does mention 'output for...link quality'. But of course that's somewhat cryptic.
http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2...1121837352.pdf
Here is the manual for the D8RII-Plus Rx
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,502 Posts
In order to output RSSI, the Plus (or any D8R receiver) must be reflashed with the XP firmware, see my attachments, it is posted as a zip file.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jul 15, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
In order to output RSSI, the Plus must be reflashed with the XP firmware, see my attachments, iti is posted as a zip file.
Thank you for making that crystal clear. The FrSky website could do a better job of communicating things to the prospective customer. Then you wouldn't have to work so hard keeping up with questions on the forums.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
master of the universe
captaingeek's Avatar
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
So the all the d8r models are the same? So I can flash it and make it into a d8rii+?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:19 AM
Rookie
planex's Avatar
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quick question;

This FrSky V8R4-II 2.4Ghz 4CH Receiver
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

Will work with the FrSky DF 2.4Ghz module?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
So the all the d8r models are the same? So I can flash it and make it into a d8rii+?
Right, less the + function, which is hardware, you still need the external voltage sensor, can't bring one by flashing.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex View Post
Quick question;

...
Yes
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
In order to output RSSI, the Plus must be reflashed with the XP firmware, see my attachments, iti is posted as a zip file.
Renatoa

I didn't see a zip file attached to your post.

I did see quite a few links on the first page that you contributed to. The information is quite impressive. I appreciate yours and BrumBob's hard work.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,502 Posts
Click on my user profile, then scroll down to "Find all attachments ..." link
You will find there the D8RXP.zip.
This can't be posted as a link, because it's a dynamic info, not valid for all users, done this way in order to discourage net bots.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
@dave 1993

Thanks for your comments and suggest.

All FrSky receivers are support failsafe function for all channels, only except the Micro Indoor Receiver VD5M.

The VD5M receiver is supper small and light, designed for indoor aircrafts, flying range about 300m, we think the failsafe is unnecessary for this receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
The design aim for VD5M is supper light indoor aircrafts, so we removed all unnecessary function and component (such as the F/S button) to make the self-weight lighter.
hello chase, im pleased you are replying to comments made on this subject. company responsiveness is just one of the reasons frsky are among my favorite products. but its important to know im not suggesting any changes other than making failsafe default on all rx the same as it already is on your 4ch one way. in other words remove pwm pulse on lost signal as a default. there is no need to alter the failsafe setting method on those products that have it. it is perfect. and unnecessary to add user settable failsafe to the 5ch because i agree weight and simplicity are best for a micro rx. but i think a "remove pulse" failsafe is better than the current "hold" type in cases where user has not configured.

to repeat, for safety and lost plane reasons id suggest making default for all your rx similar to the way it already is on your v8r4. imo removing pulses on all channels addresses all arguments against my recommendation and yet has no effect on the user settable feature for those who wish to take advantage.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added a quote
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,367 Posts
Dave Tell us something here...
I'm nearly sure you said before you are into multicopters?
Maybe the reason you want the pulses to be removed is that with the current settings (hold) the flight controller on your copter is not able to recognize the lost link and therefore not activating it's own failsafe, hence not being able to perform the autoland feature??

But anyway, I've been thinking about this subject and indeed might make sense removing the pulses WHEN THERE IS NO FAILSAFE SET

If on hold the plane can fly away without failsafe if throttle applied, with no pulses, it might go away, it might not, the gas servo (ic motors) might go to full, might not, etc.
On either option, without the failsafe set, the plane can go away and injure someone whether flying indoors or outdoors..
So, just don't forget the FS..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Dave Tell us something here...
I'm nearly sure you said before you are into multicopters?
Maybe the reason you want the pulses to be removed is that with the current settings (hold) the flight controller on your copter is not able to recognize the lost link and therefore not activating it's own failsafe, hence not being able to perform the autoland feature??
other than being designer of lowest cost multi on rcgroups and recently into micro helicopters i fly mostly planes. however this problem is a major reason simple plane autopilot and rtl systems do not work with frsky. if pulse does not go away the autopilot fails to recognize lost signal and will not fly to next waypoint or return home. it was brought up by more than one person in my fatal flaw thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666666).

anyway if you read that thread youll see i solved the frsky failsafe problem for myself and a friend with a hardware mod. you can catch a glimpse of it in this photo:



mostly my concern is for those who are not handy with a soldering iron and in any case its inconvenient to mod every rx. since it would be easy for frsky to make all their rx behave like their v8r4 unit by updating the firmware it would be better than hacking pc boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
But anyway, I've been thinking about this subject and indeed might make sense removing the pulses WHEN THERE IS NO FAILSAFE SET
yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
If on hold the plane can fly away without failsafe if throttle applied, with no pulses, it might go away, it might not, the gas servo (ic motors) might go to full, might not, etc.

On either option, without the failsafe set, the plane can go away and injure someone whether flying indoors or outdoors..
So, just don't forget the FS..
also true. my recommendation is for those who are too lazy or who simply do forget. and for the frsky rx that has fixed and not user configurable failsafe which will flyaway no matter what you do.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: pic
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
nogas's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
I installed a second hand DJT module into my Eurgle 9X last night but i'm not getting any LEDS lighting up.

Can anyone help me to establish where the problem may be or is my module toast?

I have heard that some modules dont make good contact with the pins on the Tx, is this possibly the problem?
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
hello chase, im pleased you are replying to comments made on this subject. company responsiveness is just one of the reasons frsky are among my favorite products. but its important to know im not suggesting any changes other than making failsafe default on all rx the same as it already is on your 4ch one way. in other words remove pwm pulse on lost signal as a default. there is no need to alter the failsafe setting method on those products that have it. it is perfect. and unnecessary to add user settable failsafe to the 5ch because i agree weight and simplicity are best for a micro rx. but i think a "remove pulse" failsafe is better than the current "hold" type in cases where user has not configured.

to repeat, for safety and lost plane reasons id suggest making default for all your rx similar to the way it already is on your v8r4. imo removing pulses on all channels addresses all arguments against my recommendation and yet has no effect on the user settable feature for those who wish to take advantage.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggest, I have sent it to our products developing department and we will special discussing and estimate this idea on department meeting. Of course, if we have the updating info will post on this thread.

Thanks and best regards to All Buddies!
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Jul 16, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review The video for FrSky 2.4Ghz Chase Wu Radios 0 Dec 16, 2009 01:18 AM
Discussion Realflight G5 Combat so far so good! splitpilot Simulators 0 Nov 22, 2009 06:36 AM
Discussion So far... So good rikks Mini Helis 35 Feb 17, 2006 12:42 PM
Aerofly Deluxe so far so good! Gary Morris Simulators 5 Aug 19, 2005 07:23 AM
Schulze 18.46K v7.02 - so far, so good! Jason M Electric Heli Talk 4 Aug 11, 2002 01:25 AM