HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,386 Posts
I'm a bit confused by the Failsafe function of the 2 way system. According to the manual, you briefly press the F/S button on the TRANSMITTER MODULE and that sets the failsafe. That is all well and good but then it says if you no longer want the failsafe feature to briefly press the button again. Seems like it would be to easy to accidentally turn off the Failsafe feature. At least before you pressed the button on the receiver, the failsafe was set and you needed to rebind if you needed to get rid of it or reset. This new procedure, while convenient, seems less safe.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:28 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
I'm a bit confused by the Failsafe function of the 2 way system. According to the manual, you briefly press the F/S button on the TRANSMITTER MODULE and that sets the failsafe.
Ah, but it has the huge advantage that you can set it in flight - you can trim a stable model for low power circular descent, press the button, and thats your failsafe setting - no guesswork. I think its a big improvement on the old method.

@JMP - I understand what you've done now, thats quite a clever way round it. Glitch counter becomes failsafe counter. Excellent!

Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Jun 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
Hello

I am trying to get V8 DIY TX module to work with my graupner mx-16s.

Here is what i do:

1. With my graupner TX turned off i plug audio cable (stereo) to DSC socket, so TX starts working in DSC mode.

2. I double-check that TX is in PPM mode.

3. I connect audio cable (I've tried tip and ring) to ppm wire of DIY module

4. I connect + and - to charger socket of the TX and it powers DIY module nicely. It even binds with my 2 receivers.

But module doesn't seem to see ppm signal. Diode in RX is constant red, in TX module is constant orange but nothing works, no servo movement, no engine beeping, nothing. What am I doing wrong? I am sure ppm signal is coming out of connected audio cable, because I'am using the same cable to connect my TX to computer to play FMS with smartpropoplus and its working like a charm either in ppm or spcm mode.

Have any of you had similar issues? I hope i dont have busted V8 DIY TX module, as sending it back to China from Poland would probably cost alot

Any kind of help would be really appreciated
marcinw is offline Find More Posts by marcinw
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
@JMP - I understand what you've done now, thats quite a clever way round it. Glitch counter becomes failsafe counter. Excellent!

Cheers
Phil
Phil, the clever part of it is RC-Cam's design of his LMA which permits such tricky tricks
I only try to think outside the box.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:01 PM
Midlands, UK
Joined Jun 2004
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinw View Post
I am trying to get V8 DIY TX module to work with my graupner mx-16s.

1. With my graupner TX turned off i plug audio cable (stereo) to DSC socket, so TX starts working in DSC mode.

[snip]

But module doesn't seem to see ppm signal.

[snip]
The FrSky V8HT module needs an active signal source capable of driving the input positive. Several Txs only have open collector type outputs (depending where you look) with resistive pullups. These are insufficient to drive the module input. An oscilloscope will prove the point or otherwise.

Since the FrSky module is very tolerant of signal polarity and pulse count a simple PNP inverter may be all that's needed to get a suitable signal from the DSC output.

But first take a look with an oscilloscope to check the waveform whilst connected to the module.

It seems I was hasty in my comment regarding needing an active drive signal source. It appears my module has a fault partially shorting the PPM signal. Diagnosis is ongoing. FCC documents suggest the module input is direct to the Atmel CPU running at 5v
--
Steve
GlowFly is offline Find More Posts by GlowFly
Last edited by GlowFly; Aug 08, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
delete message
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Jun 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,386 Posts
I still don't see the failsafe thing as an improvement. In a sense you can constantly reset the failsafe everytime you knowingly or unknowingly hit the F/S button. I had planned to get the telemetry module once available but I consider this "feature" to much of an accident waiting to happen so won't be getting it.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
I still don't see the failsafe thing as an improvement. In a sense you can constantly reset the failsafe everytime you knowingly or unknowingly hit the F/S button. I had planned to get the telemetry module once available but I consider this "feature" to much of an accident waiting to happen so won't be getting it.

Hi,
Yes, your words make sense. But I would like to clarify that we have already made improvement to our ready-to-release telemtry system as well as instruction manual, which can avoid the unknowingly hit. This is the new statements in instruction manual, for your reference:
8 Failsafe
The receiver integrates the failsafe function for all channels.
To set failsafe positions, press briefly(less then 1 second) the “F/S Range” button of the Receiver, the Tx module will make a long “beep” indicating the failsafe position is remembered by the receiver.

Many thanks and best regards!
Eva
FrSky Electronic Co., Ltd
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
FrSky Two Way manual and protocol

Dear all,
Please kindly find FrSky Two Way System's manual and protocol as attached. We have revised the contents, thanks for your sincere suggestions.

two-way-manual
two-way-protocol

Your thoughts and feedbacks are highly appreciated.
Eva
Frsky Electronic Co., Ltd
E-mail: evafrsky@gmail.com
MSN: liuyunjieeva@hotmail.com
Last edited by Chase Wu; Aug 15, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:56 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Dear all,
Please kindly find FrSky Two Way System's manual and protocol as attached. We have revised the contents, thanks for your sincere suggestions.

Attachment 3298921

Attachment 3298922

Your thoughts and feedbacks are highly appreciated.
Eva
Who is now carrying DFT/D8R?
MGeo is offline Find More Posts by MGeo
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:00 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,069 Posts
Eva, I'm sorry to hear that, I for one much preferred the old method where the failsafe was set at the transmitter! That was an unprecedented feature, very practical, as failsafe could be set to the ideal trim, in flight. I dont see how anyone could accidentally press a small recessed button. By the same argument, if it was so easily done, this could inadvertently switch to low power too. Honestly, take it from an actual Frsky flyer (since the early beta releases), this 'accidental button-pushing' just doesnt happen!
Cheers
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Hi,
Yes, your words make sense. But I would like to clarify that we have already made improvement to our ready-to-release telemtry system as well as instruction manual, which can avoid the unknowingly hit. This is the new statements in instruction manual, for your reference:
8 Failsafe
The receiver integrates the failsafe function for all channels.
To set failsafe positions, press briefly(less then 1 second) the “F/S Range” button of the Receiver, the Tx module will make a long “beep” indicating the failsafe position is remembered by the receiver.

Eva
FrSky Electronic Co., Ltd
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
Eva, I'm sorry to hear that, I for one much preferred the old method where the failsafe was set at the transmitter! That was an unprecedented feature, very practical, as failsafe could be set to the ideal trim, in flight. I dont see how anyone could accidentally press a small recessed button. By the same argument, if it was so easily done, this could inadvertently switch to low power too. Honestly, take it from an actual Frsky flyer (since the early beta releases), this 'accidental button-pushing' just doesnt happen!
Cheers
Phil
I second this request, please keep it on Tx, or make it a choice, if possible.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:10 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I don't understand why you would care about trim in failsafe given that the orientation of the aircraft when failsafe occurs is completely arbitrary (unless you only ever fly easy circuits or circle in thermals I guess)? For me the most critical aspect of failsafe is cutting the motor and for that, in-flight trim is not an issue either.

I do understand that for applications like flying wings where the Rx is buried and hard to get to, being able to adjust the failsafe from the Tx alone could be useful.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:29 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,871 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand why you would care about trim in failsafe given that the orientation of the aircraft when failsafe occurs is completely arbitrary
Read it again kg
Quote:
That was an unprecedented feature, very practical, as failsafe could be set to the ideal trim, in flight.
... the point of failsafe is to Not have an arbitrary flight trim condition due to loss of signal (control).Setting Tx levers & switches,however well planned,can not compare to having in-flight proven control settings.Setting a failsafe by virtue of controlling the aircraft to a specific trim (cut throttle, X % down elev.,X % L or R rud,wings level) and pushing a button nearly guarantees an ideal failsafe condition.
FrSky,I think you have missed a Giant opportunity here.A simple button sequence can provide security against the accidental button push.
Sorry, but those that are in fear of pushing a button should prolly stay home.
And if it turns out there is a 'chance' of a button being pushed by incidental contact,put a ring around it for crying out loud.
Skies.
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:59 AM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
Dear Phil g, Renatoa, Jay and others:
The failsafe method I stated in #773 of the thread is the acquiescent version of FrSky's telemetry system. As this system is firmware updatable, the old failsafe method as Phil g prefered (we call it version B for short) is also available. That means you can change to version B with great ease, if you are accustomed or prefer the version B.

Thanks and regards!
Eva