HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:58 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
in this case you can. and weak pullups have virtually no effect compared to the much lower resistance of a divider. i know this because dozens of my projects that use adc have the pu enabled and little interference. specially if a pot is used for adjustment. in fact i use the pu as high r in the divider of many of my avr designs for reading battery level.

btw we know exactly what processors are used on all the frsky rx thanks to guys like me, timecop, simon, kreature, in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post21864153
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Tauranga South
Joined Jan 2011
54 Posts
HI, just after a bit of help. Please feel free to redirect me if needed.

Got the DHT toggle switch diy module and wired it into a tunigy 9x. Seems to work just as it should with switch set to 1-way.. binds, and sets up just fine.

But switch it over to 2-way and try to bind and just get alternating led flashing orange and green, (pretty fast), and a continues beep every second??? Any one know what this represents?

Turn on normally gets one beep at power on and rapid flashing orange.

There seems to be a lot more led flashing options and beeps than I can find any information on

Thanks for all help

Timon
00tman is offline Find More Posts by 00tman
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:32 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,495 Posts
It's ok, so is signaled bind mode in two way, i.e. "led flashing orange and green, (pretty fast), and a continues beep every second"
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:36 AM
Registered User
Trevor_G's Avatar
Bedfordshire, UK
Joined Feb 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
in this case you can. and weak pullups have virtually no effect compared to the much lower resistance of a divider. i know this because dozens of my projects that use adc have the pu enabled and little interference. specially if a pot is used for adjustment. in fact i use the pu as high r in the divider of many of my avr designs for reading battery level.
Pull-ups are intended for digital i/ps to avoid them floating. Consequently their value is usually specified as being in a wide range e.g. 20K->100K. If used as a way of defeating alarms sooner or later they will cause other problems. At the very least a pullup cause a zero offset.

Alarms are a software problem which should be solved on software.

Alternatively use a voltage divider to pull down the i/p to zero and disable the alarm if it never sees a value above zero.

Thanks for the link to the new thread Dave, looks very interesting.

Trevor
Trevor_G is offline Find More Posts by Trevor_G
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
f5b-uk
Mike Seale's Avatar
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,077 Posts
FAS-100 Current sensor

I asked about this sensor a while back but I guess no one was using it then. So I'll try again in the hope that they're being used now.

I'd like to use one with my DHT module and FLD-02 display and the feature I really want to be able to see if the capacity (mAh) used. Unfortunately, the instructions suggest that this won't be possible and that capacity is only viewable using the DHT-U. Can anyone confirm that I'd only be able to see current and power consumption with my setup?

Quote from FrSky website

The FrSky Ampere Sensor (FAS-100) can measure Current (A), Power Consumption (mAH) and Power (W) when connected between a Battery and ESC. Current (A) and Power (W) will be displayed on the FLD-02, while Current (A) and Power Consumption (mAH) will be displayed on the DHT-U. The FAS-100 reports Power and Power Consumption without an external voltage sensor and, in addition, can be chained together to report individual cell voltages by using the FLVS-01.
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,495 Posts
I have and use it, yes, the above is accurate.
Amps for both, Power for FLD-02, mAh for DHT-U
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
f5b-uk
Mike Seale's Avatar
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,077 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a real pity the s/w guys did it this way. Personally, I can't see that having current or power via telemetry is at all useful since I can measure these values on the ground and they won't change much in flight. But knowing how much capacity I've used would be useful every flight.

At least I didn't waste money ordering one.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
Flying like an Angel.
BlueAngel2000's Avatar
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Yes, not displaying mAh on the FLD-02, did stop me too from buying. Who needs Watts dispayed, thats just A*V, and you can do the math in your head. I hope they change that via firmware.

The sensor is still quite interesting, because you can use the cell voltage sensor in combination with this one, without the need of the hub.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,495 Posts
various needs, various preferences
For me mAh are useless because I don't trust them as being accurate, I trust more the voltage, than the mAh drawn to decide to land. Cold especially make the Lipo to deplete much faster than expected.
Measuring Amps is the only reason I use such sensor, just today I found a better prop, that make my quad hover with only 12 Amps consumption, versus 15 Amps the previous prop.
And yeah, save me to install a hub in quad only to connect the voltage sensor. Oups, and here is another weird firmwares mismatch that reduce even more the usefulness of FLD-02: no per cell alarm when using 6 cell voltage sensor, I must monitor visually the display to decide when to land...
Indeed a firmware refresh is needed to align the features set of these two displays... Frsky ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Registered User
Takilara's Avatar
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined May 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a real pity the s/w guys did it this way. Personally, I can't see that having current or power via telemetry is at all useful since I can measure these values on the ground and they won't change much in flight. But knowing how much capacity I've used would be useful every flight.

At least I didn't waste money ordering one.

Mike
I have yet to buy it, but for me, getting current is very useful, as for my use, I'd rather be in control of the logic for calculating consumption myself, relying on the sensor for the "raw data". (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mato.frskydash)
Takilara is online now Find More Posts by Takilara
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
f5b-uk
Mike Seale's Avatar
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takilara View Post
I have yet to buy it, but for me, getting current is very useful, as for my use, I'd rather be in control of the logic for calculating consumption myself, relying on the sensor for the "raw data". (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mato.frskydash)
I'm not sure I fully understand? I would like to be able to use what I have (DHT + FLD-02) and be able to set an alarm when 1800mAh has been used from my 2200mAh battery. But FrSky won't let me do this so what are my options:

1. Buy DHT-U
2. ????

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
various needs, various preferences
For me mAh are useless because I don't trust them as being accurate, I trust more the voltage, than the mAh drawn to decide to land. Cold especially make the Lipo to deplete much faster than expected.
Measuring Amps is the only reason I use such sensor, just today I found a better prop, that make my quad hover with only 12 Amps consumption, versus 15 Amps the previous prop.
And yeah, save me to install a hub in quad only to connect the voltage sensor. Oups, and here is another weird firmwares mismatch that reduce even more the usefulness of FLD-02: no per cell alarm when using 6 cell voltage sensor, I must monitor visually the display to decide when to land...
Indeed a firmware refresh is needed to align the features set of these two displays... Frsky ?
-
"mAh are useless because I don't trust them as being accurate, I trust more the voltage, than the mAh drawn......"
-
Renatoa,

It is interesting that you say this, as I would have thought that the opposite would have been the case.
I have been struggling to set flight pack alarm thresholds, for the simple reason that differing IR's between all my packs makes it difficult to set a happy medium.
ie... to be safe, I set the threshold for the best pack with the lowest IR, then my weaker packs will alarm prematurely, maybe only using 1/3 to 1/2 their capacity.
-
I have now convinced myself that mAh consumed is the only option to use, in deciding when to land.
-
Just my thoughts, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:23 AM
Registered User
Takilara's Avatar
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined May 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand? I would like to be able to use what I have (DHT + FLD-02) and be able to set an alarm when 1800mAh has been used from my 2200mAh battery. But FrSky won't let me do this so what are my options:
Ah, I was trying to convey that i prefer the raw values being passed, and that the sensor does not do more complex logic. (the logic that is currently done in the DHT-U to calculate consumption). As others mention, this logic for mAh is not something that everyone trust. (i once tried to get consensus regarding if it is the current consumption or voltage that kills a battery. Turns out that everyone disagrees with this. I fly with voltage threshold, landing when cell voltage under load is 3.4V. These batteries need to be charged close to 95% of the capacity afterwards. but i have _many_ cycles like this on them)

Having the raw current value. One can calculate the current consumption in software. I assume the FLT-02 is not capable of proper software, only displaying raw values.

The Android app i linked to, is meant as a replacement to FLT-02 or similar displays. Allowing the user to make his own logic and alarms for the incoming raw values. E.g. it will hopefully support calculating consumption based on the raw current measurement from the current sensor
Takilara is online now Find More Posts by Takilara
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
f5b-uk
Mike Seale's Avatar
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,077 Posts
Thanks for all the info so far. I'm beginning to understand now why the FLD-02 and the DHT-U work differently having previously assumed that the DHT-U was basically the FLD-02 with integrated 2.4g module.

Regarding people's preference and/or trust of mAh or voltage or raw data this I understand too, but it is a shame that some of us are being denied the choice.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
-
"mAh are useless because I don't trust them as being accurate, I trust more the voltage, than the mAh drawn......"
-
Renatoa,

It is interesting that you say this, as I would have thought that the opposite would have been the case.
I have been struggling to set flight pack alarm thresholds, for the simple reason that differing IR's between all my packs makes it difficult to set a happy medium.
ie... to be safe, I set the threshold for the best pack with the lowest IR, then my weaker packs will alarm prematurely, maybe only using 1/3 to 1/2 their capacity.
-
I have now convinced myself that mAh consumed is the only option to use, in deciding when to land.
-
Just my thoughts, Steve
Steve, when I wrote I trust the voltage, I didn't mean the Frsky voltage alarm I meant personal visual check of pack voltage, as in FPV OSD, long time before Frsky issued their telemetry.

Living in a country where five months in a year I fly under five degrees (Celsius) I doubt that you can draw more than 1500mAh from a 2200mAh pack at this temperature. At least under zero (C) you can't rely even on half capacity of packs. So again, useless mAh counting.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review The video for FrSky 2.4Ghz Chase Wu Radios 0 Dec 16, 2009 02:18 AM
Discussion Realflight G5 Combat so far so good! splitpilot Simulators 0 Nov 22, 2009 07:36 AM
Discussion So far... So good rikks Mini Helis 35 Feb 17, 2006 01:42 PM
Aerofly Deluxe so far so good! Gary Morris Simulators 5 Aug 19, 2005 08:23 AM
Schulze 18.46K v7.02 - so far, so good! Jason M Electric Heli Talk 4 Aug 11, 2002 02:25 AM