HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest12 View Post
Are you going to be using it with a OSD? If so which one?
Yes the ezosd is what I want to hook it up too
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:52 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest12 View Post
Are you going to be using it with a OSD? If so which one?
I have had no luck with the RSSI on the D8RII-PLUS with the Beta firmware and Im asuming the D8R-XP is the same firmware.
Also If your not seeing any voltage change it means the RSSI is measured on packet loss and not votage.
So is there a converter for that?
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:58 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Ok i checked with the voltmeter and the voltage stays the same no matter it is on or off ( the TX)

I do see the rssi feedback on my screen FL02, but there is no change in voltage on my voltmeter.

In the instructions it says to jump ch3 and ch4 which ive done on the signal wire. Should i jump all three? On the sticker is just says S so not sure. Im stumped now.
Thanks for the test.

Okay, not good.
No need to connect to OSD, that will not change anything.

So, we have to wait for an answer from FrSky.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:05 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
So is there a converter for that?
It seems the EZosd uses analouge RSSI

So Id guess you need a converter like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FrSky-RSS...item1c1bba84d0

Im only guessing this will work I dont know for sure. I would ask someone like Renato.

Regards

EDIT: Here ya go http://www.mictronics.de/projects/pp...log-converter/

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Last edited by Forrest12; Jun 09, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000 View Post
Thanks for the test.

Okay, not good.
No need to connect to OSD, that will not change anything.

So, we have to wait for an answer from FrSky.
Im guessing that the new firmware puts out a digital RSSI measured in packet loss.
Much more accurate than a analogue "voltage" change.

But i cannot even get a useable packet loss RSSI out of the D8R recievers.

I had to do this Mod to a V8R7SP

To get a usable packet loss RSSI signal to work on RVosd.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:17 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
So I have a Suppo Pigeon OSD on my hexacopter, it has an RSSI input. I'm using the FrSky D6FR telemetry receiver. Is there any way of getting RSSI readings out of this thing? I have the RSSI on my external LCD screen already, but it would be great if I could see the signal strength on the OSD. I can't take off my goggles all the time to check the signal strength.

http://www.suppomodel.com/FPV/OSD.html
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
So I have a Suppo Pigeon OSD on my hexacopter, it has an RSSI input. I'm using the FrSky D6FR telemetry receiver. Is there any way of getting RSSI readings out of this thing? I have the RSSI on my external LCD screen already, but it would be great if I could see the signal strength on the OSD. I can't take off my goggles all the time to check the signal strength.

http://www.suppomodel.com/FPV/OSD.html
I guessing you also need a analogue converter. This is taken from the pigeon manual. Im not sure If any FRsky Rx's offer analogue (voltage change) RSSI.

Ask Renato maybe

http://www.suppomodel.com/FPV/Suppo_OSD_V2_Manual.pdf

"Setting RSSI Min – Max value:
1. On ground power up TX and RX, press “set home” button, OSD will record RSSI Max;
2. On ground, power off TX, press “Menu” button, OSD will record RSSI Min value.
3. Select Save and Exit to save RSSI Min Max value."

Pete
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I've been searching for hours for the answers to these seemingly simple questions, with no luck. Hopefully someone can help.

1. What exactly is the difference between the V1 and V2 of the DJT? I see DJT's sold all over, but hobbyking is one of the only places I see selling both V1 and V2.
2. Is the telemetry hub always needed, or only when you have tons of sensors? Can you plug 1 or 2 sensors into the RX without needing the hub, or is it mandatory?
3. I'm a little confused about if the voltage sensor is needed. Doesn't the RX itself have a built in voltage sensor stock? So why would you plug in a seperate one?
4. How well does the GPS sensor work? I haven't been able to find many reviews of it, however on one of the reviews on hobbyking, the guy said it had way too slow of an update rate. Are you guys happy with its performance or know where I can find any good detailed reviews.

Thanks.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:55 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I've been searching for hours for the answers to these seemingly simple questions, with no luck. Hopefully someone can help.

1. What exactly is the difference between the V1 and V2 of the DJT? I see DJT's sold all over, but hobbyking is one of the only places I see selling both V1 and V2.

Hobby King has their head up their butt.. again.

2. Is the telemetry hub always needed, or only when you have tons of sensors? Can you plug 1 or 2 sensors into the RX without needing the hub, or is it mandatory?

The hub is needed for most every sensor except:
basic voltage sensor and the new Amp sensor.

3. I'm a little confused about if the voltage sensor is needed. Doesn't the RX itself have a built in voltage sensor stock? So why would you plug in a seperate one?

Yes, most have an A1 voltage sensor built in. This is fine for use with gas planes and gliders that power directly off a battery pack. If you are powered off a BEC or ESC, then you will want an external voltage sensor so you know what the actual battery voltage is. The BEC or ESC will always supply the same steady voltage even as the battery dies..

4. How well does the GPS sensor work? I haven't been able to find many reviews of it, however on one of the reviews on hobbyking, the guy said it had way too slow of an update rate. Are you guys happy with its performance or know where I can find any good detailed reviews.

It works as intended. Lets face it, GPS is a so-so navigation tool. The FrSky hub sends GPS data every few seconds. Data consists of lat and long. And speed is calculated from this data.

Thanks.
See above.

I suggest you give up on Hobby King reviews.. They are edited to show mostly positive remarks. Negative reviews and ratings are either edited or tossed out. For example their folding props break and are very dangerous. All reviews that point this out are deleted.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:11 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,288 Posts
In addition to Wayne:
1. V1 / V2 at HK are versions of module/receiver combos made by HK, and labeled this way, the modules itself are all the same, versionless
3. Wayne wrote "most have", but for the current best sold receiver, D8R-II this is not valid, so you need voltage sensors for both inputs, to be able to read something.
4. The GPS itself works well, i.e. data sent to ground is accurate, only the refresh rate can't suit your needs, it's your decision if an update every some seconds is useful or useless. Surely it's useless to measure instant speed in some race, but could be useful to find where it's a glider on the sky.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
While we are on the topic of versions can one of you two experts help out.

My DHT-U and D8R-II Receivers and sensor hub can all be updated with new firmware. My understanding is that:

1) V2 DHT-U can only be used with V2 Receivers. Correct?
2) V2 sensor hub can only be used with V2 receivers. Correct?
3) What happens with other Receivers that are not updatable. Are they still V2 DHT-U compatible?
4) The simplest solution for updating is to buy both a FUC-2 and a FUC-3? I know it can be done with the earlier FUC-1 and the FDD Lite and DIY cabling but you have to be careful to get the Tx and Rx data connections right.
5) Which of the sensors are V2 Hub compatible only? My GPS doesn't seem to work reliably with a V1 hub or a V2 hub with V1 Rx.

I must say a decent compatibility table should be high on FrSky's ToDo list for their website. Nice to see how prolific and responsive they are but it is pretty confusing if you aren't already on top of the history of this stuff.

Thanks

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
J.L
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Does anybody know how to revive a dead D8r-ii Plus receiver? I've accidentally reverse polarized my receiver and I'm hoping there is a resistor or capacitor somewhere that I can just solder into the broken connection?

Thanks in advance
J.L is offline Find More Posts by J.L
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,288 Posts
Posted here an advice that could help:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21525605
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
While we are on the topic of versions can one of you two experts help out.

My DHT-U and D8R-II Receivers and sensor hub can all be updated with new firmware. My understanding is that:

1) V2 DHT-U can only be used with V2 Receivers. Correct?
2) V2 sensor hub can only be used with V2 receivers. Correct?
3) What happens with other Receivers that are not updatable. Are they still V2 DHT-U compatible?
4) The simplest solution for updating is to buy both a FUC-2 and a FUC-3? I know it can be done with the earlier FUC-1 and the FDD Lite and DIY cabling but you have to be careful to get the Tx and Rx data connections right.
5) Which of the sensors are V2 Hub compatible only? My GPS doesn't seem to work reliably with a V1 hub or a V2 hub with V1 Rx.

I must say a decent compatibility table should be high on FrSky's ToDo list for their website. Nice to see how prolific and responsive they are but it is pretty confusing if you aren't already on top of the history of this stuff.

Thanks

John
DHT-U - The recent firmware changes only added features to the screen, and ability to save data to SD card.

I'm not "trained" in the V1 stuff.. That predates my use of the system.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
...They are edited to show mostly positive remarks. Negative reviews and ratings are either edited or tossed out. For example their folding props break and are very dangerous. All reviews that point this out are deleted.
This is Totally untrue!

I've left negative comments on various kits and parts that I've purchased over the years, and they are still there, un editied.

cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo